[Problem] Heavy Jerking at low revs.

Apr 27, 2006
www.timing-design.com
Firstly, I couldn't find any dedicated car problem forum so I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place.

Anyway I put in an open pod air filter (K&N) in my Savvy not too long ago. Since then, the car has developed a problem of heavy jerking under acceleration in the 1k-3k rpm range, most noticeable in 1st and 2nd gears. 3k+ rpm is fine.

Any ideas what the problem could be? I can D/C the battery to reset the ECU and this eliminates the jerking for ... maybe 30-40 km ... and then the problem gradually comes back.

Sooo, what should be my next course of action? I haven't had the car looked at by any mechanic. Send it to Proton SC? Should I get the Speedworks guys to look at it instead? Or get them to put back my original filter before sending the car to proton sc (you know, for warranty issues)?

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
You should try to put back the original filter. Even that, i'm surprised air filter change will result in heavy jerking. However for precautionary, its good to put back the original filter and check.

Just FYI, jerking at low RPM revs are normally associated with bad spark plugs or distributor.

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
prodigy said:
You should try to put back the original filter. Even that, i'm surprised air filter change will result in heavy jerking. However for precautionary, its good to put back the original filter and check.

Just FYI, jerking at low RPM revs are normally associated with bad spark plugs or distributor.
should be the hot air too. you see, i recently transplant my car, running open pod filter. When the car is cold and the fan not spining, the car just drive properly without any prob. but if the engine got hot and fan start spining, all the hot air gush in through the radiator and my car will start to jerk. condition even worse if i use aircond (twice the hot air coming into the engine bay + compresor taking engine power).

oh ya, i dun have cold air intake.

deodorant

Apr 27, 2006
www.timing-design.com
Well I have a heat shield installed (don't know how effective it is, though).

I'm guessing this is just a huge coincidence, though, cos upgrading intake/exhaust is *supposed* to be very, very hassle-free. Guess I'll just get my neighbour mechanic to take a look at the car and see if prodigy's diagnosis of spark plug/distributor malfunction is true.

Oh I also found a small article on the intarwebby that low-rpm's jerking can also be caused by leaks in the air intake manifold (I will declare right now that I have no idea wtf this means).

Hopefully it isn't anything more serious than that ;3

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
rollakid said:
but if the engine got hot and fan start spining, all the hot air gush in through the radiator and my car will start to jerk. condition even worse if i use aircond (twice the hot air coming into the engine bay + compresor taking engine power).
I thought the fan sucks out hot air from the engine bay, blows it through the radiator and out through the front? Well, that's what I noticed in mine.

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
satria_95 said:
I thought the fan sucks out hot air from the engine bay, blows it through the radiator and out through the front? Well, that's what I noticed in mine.
??

suck in ler.. never see any car that sucks out through the front before...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Can a SR18 block use SR16 NEO head???...has anyone done this before?because my fren has a cracked crankshaft and a few more other things...:regular_smile: ...or does anyone have the lower end of SR16 NEO for sale....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience