Photography and such

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
Anybody interested in Photography here? Just want to know how many racers, speeders, drifters, tail gaters, ICE blasters, what-so-what-not-ers and etc-ers here have an interest in photography. I know ldragon is one of `em. :)

PoisonIvy

Known Member
Jan 24, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Hmm... i thought of developing some interest in photography (is there such thing?) :P

Anyway, i just got myself a new digital camera... which i love so much... erm.. after my family, bf and my laptop.. :P And i wanna learn the ART :D of photography. Willing to learn...

I'll be checking in here for any tips and sorts.. so do post some stuff ya... especially those sifus and sifis in photography :P

~ IvY ~

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
PoisonIvy,
Other than this forum, there are specific photography focused forums like...
1) http://www.mykamera.com.my (click on forums once it loads up)
2) http://www.photomalaysia.com (currently down due to God only knows what)
These are the 2 that I know that are local. Unsure if there are any other good local ones.

Just to start off this thread a little deeper, I'll share some basic tips on photography that I know of in relation to holiday shots.

1) When shooting a scenery with 1, 2 or 3 person in it, use the "target" that's usually in the middle of the screen (all cameras has it, whether digital or not) and point it to 1 of the person. Then press the shutter release button (the button that's used to take photos), half way down and let the camera perform it's focus settings and lock it. Continue to hold the button down half way and move the camera so that the people / group of people are at one side of the screen / view finder / etc. Once done that, press the remaining half of the shutter button to capture the photo. This way allows both a larger view of the scenery together with the people in it, rather than the people standing in the middle of the photo and thus, blocking the scenery behind.

2) If you have a lot of people / a group of people, separate them such that half of them is on one side of the photo and the other half on the other side. Another way is to have all of them kneel or squat down or keep them low, so that you can capture a larger view of the scenery and also the people, though the people will not be standing in full.

3) When shooting scenery at night, always use a tripod (camera stand with 3 legs) to have maximum stability of the camera. Most digital cameras will detect brightness and in low light conditions, the camera will give you "slow" settings. In "slow" settings, every single move of the camera will spoil the shot. It is 99.9% impossible to hand hold a night scene shot. Use a tripod, set the timer and let the camera shoot by itself when the timer goes off. The camera should not be moved once the timer starts and after the camera has fully captured the shot. Pay attention to the status light on the camera as this will indicate to you whether the camera is in ready mode again or not (usually the status light will blink or change color when taking a shot). P/S : Check out my KLCC night shots in my online gallery. Every single shot is shot using timer and mounted on a tripod. Example :
http://images1.fotopic.net/?iid=y3ve69&out...ize=1&nostamp=1

4) If you're shooting against a background with bright light, the light will fool the camera, thus making the camera give you settings that will reduce a lot of light. When this happens, the subject closest to you (a person, etc.) may turn out dark and hard to be seen. In this case, use FORCE FLASH / FILL FLASH to brighten up the subject closest to you. FORCE / FILL FLASH is usually depicted with a lightning symbol.

5) When shooting close up shots (flowers, insects, etc.), use the macro function. This function is usually depicted with a tulip flower / flower symbol. You also need to know your camera's shortest working distance so that you can stay within that distance to allow your camera to focus on the subject. Example :
http://images1.fotopic.net/?iid=yfx25c&out...ize=1&nostamp=1

6) Learn the functions and features of your camera so that you know which settings / modes / etc. to use in certain types of situation.

Those are the stuff that I can think of for now. Hope that helps. Of course, those tips can be altered by individual to their own preferences. Just sharing some basic knowledge. Have fun ! :)

lil_jk

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Sumwhere near your house
www.initial-d.com
as for me, I am starting to like photography, as you can see from the pics that I took during the Subang Go-Kart Drift and also from the last Street Shootout
http://www.zerotohundred.com/forums/index....opic=20797&st=0

Well, i am still newbie on the things of photography and also editing pics.

Sumtimes, fellow forumers asked me"oi, what the hell you are taking?! why you only took half of the drifting car!" Well, sorry lah folks, as i do not how to edit the photos and i am trying my best to edit them so that I can post it online.

Read those tips posted satria_95....these are good tips, I should have seen these tips earlier to avoid many mistakes that I had in the past. Keep up the good work, bro! :D

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
lik_jk,
Taking shots of moving cars / items / whatever is not an easy task. There's a skill in photography that's required and this skill is called "panning". If you're using a digital camera (non SLR type. SLR type are those cameras where the lenses can be changed), you have to pre-focus the camera first and be ready to snap the shot. How to do it?

Let's say we have the below scenario.

Point A -------- Point B ------------- Point C

You're standing at Point B and you want to shoot (photograph) the car when it reaches point B.

1) Before the car reaches Point B, point your camera at where Point B.
2) Press the shutter release half way down and hold it there.
3) When the car reaches Point A, face your camera towards the car. Remember, you should still be holding down the shutter release button HALF WAY DOWN, NOT FULL DOWN.
4) Follow the car with your camera from Point A onwards and try at your very best to keep the car in your camera's view / in the camera's LCD / camera's screen.
5) This step will have to depend on the car speed and how fast your camera's reaction is. Just before the car reach Point B (you should still be holding half way down the shutter release button), press the shutter release FULL DOWN and continue to keep the car in your camera's view ALL THE TIME till the car reaches Point C.

This requires quite a bit of practice and to be honest, drifting isn't quite difficult. Try shooting F1 or JGTC or those really fast cars from the side lines / pit wall. Shooting only road and grass. hehehe
I've got some shots from the Formula Renault event in Sepang quite some time ago. I'll provide the link here once I have it uploaded.... again. hehehe
Give it a bit of practice before you go for your next event shooting. You can practice along highways like LDP / Kesas / etc. shooting fast drivers. You'll be happy to see that they'll slow down immediately after they drive past you. hehehe

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
lDragon,
Nice to see you here too. It's been a long time since I came into this forum. hehehe
Share la, some tips also. :) You've shot a lot of stuff also mah. hehehe
We've got to do the triple flash shot again in motorshows la. But this time, without the other Nikon D100 fella cos the gang tiu chow with him already due to his f-ed up attitude which got really bad one fine day. You have shots of the Formula Renault or some other panning shots? I think you would've already shared it here, right? hehehe