PETRONAS Syntium Team closes out debut season optimistic

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur / Motegi (Japan), 11 November 2007 – In its debut season in the 2007 Super Taikyu Endurance Series in Japan, the PETRONAS Syntium Team have managed to secure overall fifth position in the series. The team leaves the Twin Ring Motegi circuit having secured three pole position starts (Round 4 – Fuji Speedway, Round 6 – Sugo Sportland and Twin Ring Motegi) as well as two podium finishes (Round 5 – Okayama and Sugo).

Race Report
After a promising start to the weekend, having secured their third pole position start on Saturday, raceday for the season finale proved to be a challenging one for the PETRONAS Syntium Team. In addition to the extremely wet conditions in the morning that witnessed a number of safety car periods due to the heavy downpour, the team were forced to retire prematurely while in the lead of the race on 43laps.

Taking on driver duties for the first and second stint was the team’s Japanese driver Masataka Yanagida who started the race from pole position. Though he conceded the lead, the 28-year old was able to keep the gap to the leader close. Having reduced the gap down to the leader to 0.1seconds, the Japanese had been able to make the most of an overtaking opportunity to regain the race lead by lap 12. He once again conceded the lead a lap later when a near spin saw him drop to third. Playing catch up, Masataka demonstrated a gritty resolve to once again force the gap down to the leader.

During the first pit stop window, the team opted to keep him out an extra lap, a move that paid off as he was able to jump back into the lead after the stop on lap 40. The worsening condition and poor visibility prompted race officials to deploy the first of many safety car periods with Masataka heading the field with the race lead. However, three laps later the team were struck by mechanical gremlins which saw the Japanese pull off the track to retire from the race.

David Wong, Team Principal, PETRONAS Syntium Team:
“All things considered, we have to look at the season in perspective. We always knew that it was not going to be easy, bringing a new car into an endurance series that we have never raced in before. It was not the way we planned to end the season, particularly after two strong rounds prior to this race. Despite the disappointing ending, there have definitely been a lot of positives from this race and from the season as a whole. We were able to clearly demonstrate that the car is fast and that the two drivers have been very consistent and competitive throughout our debut season.

“To have come this far and achieved this much in only our maiden season speaks volumes for the amazing work everyone on the team including the drivers have accomplished. Masataka Yanagida has been fantastic throughout the entire season both as a driver and as a mentor to Fariqe, who is racing in Japan for the very first time this season.

Under the guidance of his older teammate, Fariqe has really developed and matured into a strong driver. It has been a good learning experience for everyone and on that note I would like to thank the organisers, the Super Taikyu Organisation, BMW and all our partners Michelin, Endless and BBS for the incredible support they have given us throughout the season. As for the team, the work does not end here as preparations have already begun for next season. On a special note, I would like to give my thanks to Michelin for the incredible support they have given to us this season. We would also like to wish the team from Michelin all the best and look forward to working with Yokohama next season.”

Gen Suzuki, Team Manager, PETRONAS Syntium Team:
“I have to say that both drivers have done a perfect and fantastic job this weekend. I am delighted with what they have done not just here in Motegi but what they have achieved throughout the entire season. We always knew that it was not going to be an easy season but I am proud of what we have been able to achieve. For sure we realize that the car is very competitive, handles really well and the balance of the BMW Z4M Coupe is really good, so it is unfortunate that we have had to suffer these mechanical problems. In that regard, we have already started work to prepare for next season with some tests planned for the winter. We hope we can use everything that we have learned from this season to be more competitive next year.”

Masataka Yanagida (Japan), driver
“Actually, the car felt really good throughout the weekend, in both the dry and wet conditions. In particular, the tyres worked really well, especially in the wet conditions. This weekend, we managed to get pole position, the third time this season. In the race on Sunday, I started with intermediate tyres as we thought that the rain might actually stop. However, when it started to get heavier, it was really hard to drive and I almost spun, which cost me quite a lot of time. Then after a while, the car felt really good. At the first stop, we changed to wet tyres and the car was easier to handle. Then after the pit stop we suffered a mechanical problem and forced to retire from the lead. I am sad that this happened but this is part of racing. Overall, I have to say it has been quite a new experience for the team racing in a new series and even for me as it is my first time racing in this class, so everybody was learning. Everything we have learned from this season will be a good basis for us to use to continue to improve and further develop for next season. I hope that for next season we can improve even more and get better results. I want to thank all the fans for their incredible support this season, the partners and to everyone on the team who has worked really hard.”

Fariqe Hairuman (Malaysia), driver
“Even though we had a problem today, in general, I am very happy with the season as a whole. For me personally, I have experienced a lot of new things and learned so much. To be honest, I knew it was not going to be easy, especially coming over to race here from a different series to the Super Taikyu Endurance Series as well as having to learn all the new tracks that I have never raced on before. But I am happy we have managed to achieve so much in our very first season. I am grateful to have a teammate like Masataka Yanagida, who has been a wonderful mentor to me guiding me throughout the year. I am looking forward to working with him again and I hope that I will get the chance to continue to improve next season. I would like to thank my team principal David Wong, everyone on the team, our partners PETRONAS and everyone who has given me their support throughout the season. ”

ezreefa

Aug 9, 2007
ezshoppin.blogspot.com
congrazts bro....make sure next year u will b da 1st podium huh...bring malaysia up the world....:itsme: :itsme: :itsme: :itsme: :itsme:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Its already been 2months since i updated my blog. In this 2months its been a hectic month for me, i received alot of inquiries regarding coating, full detail, touch up and alot more. I guess i pushed myself really hard in this 2months. But, along the journey i need to thanks to Josh all the way from Ipoh & Erik who help me out on a Peugeot and Golf GTI, also not forget about KC for giving me some useful advice on a soft paintwork and Seech who lend me his Flex so i could manage to finish...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience