oversize with sleeves

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
guy's,
how many of you here willing to spent for oversize with sleeves kit? Also to risk it? I happen to have extra engine kosong lying around and having a thought to "build" it. Im looking to oversize it from 79mm to 82mm with darton sleeves kit.

but i've reading that sleeves wasnt easy to install. It required very skillfull mech to do it. Else risk sleeves moves or so on. This question me is it wise to do so? Im going sleeves as i want total reliability. Not to mention gasket

thn another question pop out, by spending so much, does it justify for the result. We're looking maybe 10% gain across all rpm band.

What makes my life more difficult is, 79.5mm (doesnt need sleeves) piston and 82mm piston, both from wiseco was same price. And Darton sleeves was only usd340 extra from the piston price. Both will required bore and honing the block.

Im not sure how much extra power gain can i expect frm .5mm oversize but hell i can be very sure 2mm is going to make hell lotsa different.

dilemma dilemma

limfk7

Known Member
Feb 18, 2006
PENANG % KEDAH
I will oversize my ej20 for one purpose if got money because bigger CC and can put more boost because what i heard darton sleeve wall(M.I.D.) can tahan about 55PSI.

If the mechanic have CNC fully computerised equipment then the rehoned and put in the sleeve is very easy. But if not your sleeve confirm will pop up from your block trust me, i see this thing happen in Australia.

But for me(if got money) i will boost to 2.2 bar will carrilo rod cosworth bearing cp custom piston, Cosworth crankshaft and big turbo such as gt35. But the bill ah i get quote b4 in Singapore about 30K sing dollar(include gearbox and underbody upgrade such as drive shaft long shaft etc). So i only rehoned my block and put oversize + 1MM mahle piston, manley rod cosworth bearing and some used later version 9 EJ20 block plus crank shaft only but also cost me RM 10K already.

Anyways

But oversize with sleeve is not about reliability. It is certainly for one reason only is to maximize the max hp you can squeeze from your engine isn' t it?. This is just my 2 cent.

Don't you think so?

Last edited:

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
well this is exactly what feedback im looking for. The boring precision is the most owrrying part. once wrong, thats it. Next is the sleeves installation. Im not doubting our local workshop but i can say there is too many self claimed expert workshop.

yup, i would like to stay NA and avoid TC or SC due to Spore laws.

1 more thing in my mind which i cant think of. If i were to bore my cylder larger by 3mm, how about my head? Dont my cylinder diameter size will be missmatch with head combustion chamber dia size? Whichs means i need to bore my head cylinder chamber also to be in order to match?

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
yup, MR-S 1zzfe

limfk7

Known Member
Feb 18, 2006
PENANG % KEDAH
well this is exactly what feedback im looking for. The boring precision is the most owrrying part. once wrong, thats it. Next is the sleeves installation. Im not doubting our local workshop but i can say there is too many self claimed expert workshop.

yup, i would like to stay NA and avoid TC or SC due to Spore laws.

1 more thing in my mind which i cant think of. If i were to bore my cylder larger by 3mm, how about my head? Dont my cylinder diameter size will be missmatch with head combustion chamber dia size? Whichs means i need to bore my head cylinder chamber also to be in order to match?
Should not be a problem because my car also made larger +1mm without sleeve but using original head without port and polish.
Even my friend change from ej20 to ej25 block still using original head without port polish at all, but the engine work great(remember ej20 piston is 92mm but ej25mm is 100mm, so the difference 8mm!!).

Even a lot tuner also change valve +1MM and port and polish only even they put sleeve in the car and plus put very massive oversize piston.

So good luck on your mod :) if you stay na i think sleeve is unnecessary lo. But if you wanted to put 3MM piston than oem piston, you must ask engine builder whether your car cylinder wall can tahan or not.

Last edited:

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
limfk7,
I check with various guys who has done it but they are either in Aust or US side. Max i can oversize is by 3.5mm with sleeves but they said 82mm is the best as 82.5mm is really at the border line.

any idea in KL, which engineering shop does cnc bore and hone?

limfk7

Known Member
Feb 18, 2006
PENANG % KEDAH
limfk7,
I check with various guys who has done it but they are either in Aust or US side. Max i can oversize is by 3.5mm with sleeves but they said 82mm is the best as 82.5mm is really at the border line.

any idea in KL, which engineering shop does cnc bore and hone?
For KL i really did not know(but just to rebore put oversize piston, i think most malaysia machine can do it, but for rehoned putting sleeve, really i can't trust the machine shop without CNC machine ), but i sent to singapore for Edge tuning(they also made their own sleeve prove 2.4 bar only for subaru) to sent to another guy to rehoned. Even in singapore told by my engine builder chuan in singapore there is only one very good rehoned machine shop only.
edge website :http://www.edge-tuning.com/

Sorry really can't help u on this:(, maybe u can ask around how "ton JUn" in jb where there sent their v-tec block to rehoned.

Last edited:

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
limfk bro,
you from spore?

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
wah bro, u send your block all the way to Spore to bore and then send back? very ex wor......

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
wah, use 82mm ll be 1933 cc leh, more 139 cc. tats means more 7% torque ll be. but did 139 cc ll make ur mrs more faster? i oso use rebore na block, i think jb area can done rebore for u. i use rebore 2mm for many year d. jb-kl-sg...nothing happen. stil revv happy in my 1.9 mivec. tung chun , n alot shop at permas jaya can done.

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
1.9 mivec in jb not many. maybe i've seen your car before. whahahah..... you done at HV? by the way, whn you bore 2mm, did you use sleeves or 4g93 block allow you to bore 2mm extra without using sleeves?

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
1.9 mivec in jb not many. maybe i've seen your car before. whahahah..... you done at HV? by the way, whn you bore 2mm, did you use sleeves or 4g93 block allow you to bore 2mm extra without using sleeves?
no, at ulu tiram but last time tunning VAFC at hv. normal block bore, 83mm piston. if ur 1zz not running in high compression, 82mm piston should be ok.2zz same family wif 1zz oso 82mm but shorter stroke . no need spend money on sleeves. u better spend money on crankshaft lighten n balace oso, u ll feel fast REV, hihi. jz 2cent

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Seeking some expert help!!:embaressed_smile:

my spec as...1.6 local block using GTI head

- my question is, if I change to 4G93 wiring & ECU from 4G91..will it make any different on hp? is it suitable the fix in?:Not_Impressed:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience