Open port air filter

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
I am planning to change my air filter to improve the air intake. But not too sure should I consider the open port (cone or mushroom head type) or normal drop-in filter?

I heard that changing to open port filter will increase the fuel consumption like mad. It's even worse when my car is automatic transmission. Is that true? Anyone did this mod before?

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
Hahaha.. have been asking around.. too many ppl complains about it loudness.. might be getting a K&N drop in filter soon.. hahahaha

Danny633

Over 10,000 RPM!
Nov 11, 2005
Malacca,M'sia
dcracing.multiply.com
Hmm Open pod filter or Short Ram Intake... my favourite topic...

This can slightly boost performance levels in a vehicle by increasing air volume intake, at the expense of increased intake noise. The high temperature of air near the engine can reduce performance in some cases, but this is often made up for by the increased volume of air. As a remedy, many short ram intakes include some form of heat shield. However, some users prefer to use different types of air intakes such as a cold air intake. Users with forced induction engines often opt for short ram intakes because compressors adjacent to the engine, especially turbochargers, heat up and negate much of the benefits of a cold air intake.

Heat shield is very important here...

You can opt to do a cold air intake + short ram intake... the best of both worlds...

Here is one example of my SRI setup...

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
Good good!! I tried Wing Fhai's K&N filter but it didn't bring much difference in terms of performance.. I need to spare some money fixing my suspension.. Mod to come later :'(

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
danny, will it be better if we have Cool air intake which have a intake hose at bumper level?

Gzz, I dunno how the entire structure work. CAI at bumper level will need to connect to the air filter (still can have open port?)

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
BS,

Check out this at Simota Racing. It has a cylindrical carbon enclosure for the lightweight carbon fiber filter. And it can connects to CAI at bumper (of course, need to buy the ducting).

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
That thing can find in JB.. whole set (filter, enclosure and CAI piping) should cost RM 300++

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
remember guys. open port or drop in only works up to the optimum when you have your exhaust upgrade as well. The best thing is to do if your exhaust still stock is to DIY the air snorkel removal. I think BS seen what I did before.

BS, don't mind give a helping hand if you still have the photo

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
no prob..hehe just sharing info. I personally tested this DIY mod and it really work well and better than open port as it keep the cool air in (you just put a extra pipe to route it from the headlight). It really help on the top speed and the noise is just slightly increase and bearable.

on top of that you don't have to worry about your tempreture sensor which is located at the original box when you do relocation for the open port.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Ace, i never take your exhaust pic. :biggrin:

Most tidy Coupe engine bay I ever see.

And the DIY

Last edited:

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
aiya..the snorkel picture will do just fine. I will forward to you once I taken the picture. I'm using Fujitsubo Medallion now. :biggrin:<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Did anyone know what happened to the magazine? I was buying it for almost every month but it seems that recently I can't find it on sale anymore since January. Is it discontinued?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience