Open Pod Air Filter

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
Dec 13, 2007
drop in is good for city drive... but spirited drive is abit less enthusiastic compare to open port... it doesnt give u the open port roar sound.... high rpm feels a little bit restricted compare to open port.....

both filter element is the same.... what makes the difference is ur oem airbox... by using open port air filter, u dont need ur airbox... air flowing to ur filter will not be restricted....
as in drop in filter, u still use ur oem airbox... air flow is restricted by the size and shape of ur airbox air inlet....

there are more creative methods modifying ur airbox... drilling extra holes to compensate the need of high flow at high rpm... yet u still enjoy the cheaper drop-in air filter and oem cai intake that comes with ur car....
Hey bro, do u mean drill holes on the stock air-box? If yes, the hole mus be wat size?

Thanks!

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Sep 1, 2005
Limau bali,Ipoh
Easier way..

Cut half of the stock airbox connecting to the snorkel....done...its open...

Bump: Easier way..

Cut half of the stock airbox connecting to the snorkel....done...its open...

joe_mirage

1,000 RPM
May 7, 2006
rotationperminute.blogspot.com
last time i use open pod. now change back to standard box. for me standard air box is good enough. just buy after-market drop in then pair it with cold air intake. if still insist to make open pod setup. need to do it properly. air filter + CAI + heat shield.

just my cents.

ganfh

Known Member
Aug 7, 2006
Guys, im still hesitating what to get for my stock GSR

1) 6" Open pod + heat shield + CAI

OR

2) Just connect CAI to my std air box with aftermarket cotton dry type drop in filter

Any idea? Thx:driver:

cm_moo

Known Member
Mar 21, 2005
which means the apexi air filter is the best choice is it? mm..... any model is available for new saga blm auto.... with the CIA together....

Danny@GSR

Known Member
Aug 12, 2006
:banghead:The best one is stock air box with CAI......
Open pod will suck in hot air make ur car [lembik]......
But 1 thing, i heard ppl said CAI will have higher FC.....:hmmmm:

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Sep 1, 2005
Limau bali,Ipoh
When do CAI while maintaning average driving style.. sure will save fuel.. most people think that after CAI, performance will be better (even a bit) and will press the pedal harder to enjoy the 'new mod'...sure fuel consume more...

Dont forget to put heat shield...it helps..

Bump: When do CAI while maintaning average driving style.. sure will save fuel.. most people think that after CAI, performance will be better (even a bit) and will press the pedal harder to enjoy the 'new mod'...sure fuel consume more...

Dont forget to put heat shield...it helps..

ken12292703

Drives a shopping cart...
Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
Other than that, after open pod, sure press to enjoy the sound and mod hence higher FC.

You are right bro, on average just like normal usage. :love:

Bump: Other than that, after open pod, sure press to enjoy the sound and mod hence higher FC.

You are right bro, on average just like normal usage. :love:

arthurtan199

Jan 10, 2009
With my auro wira 1.6 i thought of changing to open pod too, but what heat shield and CAI what are those 2/ is it neccesary for me to put it in? and i heard open pod will cause some sort of cool sound, is it true? like PSSSST sound lol

Mar 21, 2008
Openpod will not too much cause hissing sound, but roars like a monster on high revs.

If you wan an ultimate effect from an open pod + cold air intake, do the list below :

1. Call huakenny, and buy 5feet of his heavy industrial 3" PU hose

2. Buy covered openpod (like racecraft covered openpod, or source ciplak imitation ones)

3. DIY yourself by connecting the covered openpod to the 3" CAI hose AIR-TIGHT, by all means use masking-tape/silicone gum/or whatever method

4. DIY a hole on ur bumper, face the CAI outlet side or front
(side, for cold air.....front, for ram-air effect which is more deadly)

Do these above and the most noticable improvement is ur topspeed. But to improve further, you should replace your OEM intake hose to aftermarket ones, so the compressed cold air has higher volumetric tolerance. And, find a 60mm throttle body:thefinger:

PS: Alot ppl say air-tight CAI intakes are dangerous coz can suck in alot debris, but lets be REAL, how powerful could ur intake be ? It wont suck in a cat or a bird, morever IF u encounter flash flood, just take another route home, or if its raining or facing puddles, drive slowly without WOT.

Happy tryings

Last edited:

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
Hello ,

What does this mean

3. DIY yourself by connecting the covered openpod to the 3" CAI hose AIR-TIGHT, by all means use masking-tape/silicone gum/or whatever method

Erm , sorry , I don't understand ..

Mar 21, 2008
yes correct, y take all the effort to make a heatshield around the openpod inside the engine bay ? no matter how u do it wont be air tight 100% for cold air

frank118

Known Member
Feb 7, 2009
I am one individual that dont favor open pods cause of the maintenance. If you really take a look at your oil during your regular oil change..feel it...its darker and the viscosity is much less. This is because of the particles that dont get filtered and it goes into the engine.

Open pods need to be good and maintained well. if you get one of those cheap china made ones...good luck buddy..

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I got a 1991 saga ab auto 1.5 Carb 12V 4G15P Magma with stock airbox.
If i wan more low end torque like more pickup from a dead stop, what
you recommend?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We all know what the new Lancia Stratos has to live up to and we’ve all seen the shots but deep down inside you just had to see it whipped around a track before you can actually sleep well at night and now there’s a short video roll of the car going around a track.

The video itself is narrated by Michael Stoschek, albeit in German, the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience