Open Pod Air Filter

ntx

Jul 12, 2005
KL
which open pod filter is better:
(1) K & N wet type (oiled)
(2) Dry type like Apex'i dual funnel (no oiling)
(3) HKS mushroom?

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
i believe is not easy to say better any one of the three, but they have advantages and disadvantages among themselves

say for instant from my observation,

the apexi one has the shorted life span among the three
the hks one tends to be most dirtiest
the KNN one seem weakest in performance (comparing the +/- same size unit)

i think the best is get it done on a dyno, so you know which one will be [better] :confused:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
which open pod filter is better:
(1) K & N wet type (oiled)
(2) Dry type like Apex'i dual funnel (no oiling)
(3) HKS mushroom?
i would choose K&N... washable... means can reuse it for vr long time...

apexi... lifespan not vr long... u still need to wash it when it gets too dirty... but since it is dry type, the filter element inside wont last vr long...

hks... a big no no... less filtration is one thing... the need to replace it when it gets dirty.... in long term, u actually spend more using dat compare to ur standard paper filter.....

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
you want performance go for apexi the dual funnel really works and sound it produces is astonishing! for rm150+30(bracket), money well spent! a light 1-2hp increase from smooth airflow n reliable CAI. best driven at night

if u go for knn, oiled, washable, long lasting....washable yes,got time to do it? oiled...how much extra? these are the hidden cost for a "longer lasting" guarantee. do you really wanna go thru that trouble? im sure you would since you paid a hefty price(more than apexi)

IMHO, apexi is a simple plug n play n dont worry-till-u-notice-it-got-dirty filter. what u can do since its a dry filter is the use an airgun(free) and blow from the inside out. bear in mind that knn as oiled filters capture dirt faster than a dry filter

Dec 13, 2007
drop in is good for city drive... but spirited drive is abit less enthusiastic compare to open port... it doesnt give u the open port roar sound.... high rpm feels a little bit restricted compare to open port.....

both filter element is the same.... what makes the difference is ur oem airbox... by using open port air filter, u dont need ur airbox... air flowing to ur filter will not be restricted....
as in drop in filter, u still use ur oem airbox... air flow is restricted by the size and shape of ur airbox air inlet....

there are more creative methods modifying ur airbox... drilling extra holes to compensate the need of high flow at high rpm... yet u still enjoy the cheaper drop-in air filter and oem cai intake that comes with ur car....
Hey bro, do u mean drill holes on the stock air-box? If yes, the hole mus be wat size?

Thanks!

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Sep 1, 2005
Limau bali,Ipoh
Easier way..

Cut half of the stock airbox connecting to the snorkel....done...its open...

Bump: Easier way..

Cut half of the stock airbox connecting to the snorkel....done...its open...

joe_mirage

1,000 RPM
May 7, 2006
rotationperminute.blogspot.com
last time i use open pod. now change back to standard box. for me standard air box is good enough. just buy after-market drop in then pair it with cold air intake. if still insist to make open pod setup. need to do it properly. air filter + CAI + heat shield.

just my cents.

ganfh

Known Member
Aug 7, 2006
Guys, im still hesitating what to get for my stock GSR

1) 6" Open pod + heat shield + CAI

OR

2) Just connect CAI to my std air box with aftermarket cotton dry type drop in filter

Any idea? Thx:driver:

cm_moo

Known Member
Mar 21, 2005
which means the apexi air filter is the best choice is it? mm..... any model is available for new saga blm auto.... with the CIA together....

Danny@GSR

Known Member
Aug 12, 2006
:banghead:The best one is stock air box with CAI......
Open pod will suck in hot air make ur car [lembik]......
But 1 thing, i heard ppl said CAI will have higher FC.....:hmmmm:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Actually i dun go shopping for car parts...
recently i see a fren's (not close) car...underglow is quite nice...
not like ah beng type wan...
looks exactly like 2 fst 2 furious wan...
normally when you put underglow your car , it cant really glow everypart beneath your car ...but his one can...

ok, actually i need you guys help me ....where can i get the besy underglow and roughly how much issit..
i think i'll DIY myself ...roughly tell me how much it needs ...erm...how to DIY ...i duno...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience