Oil cooler airflow

Wafi

May 21, 2006
Brunei
Hi everyone~I have a doubt, does fabricating vents behind the front oil cooler of an FD3S will increase the oil cooler efficiency? Fabricating vents or louvers by means of cutting the fender liner behind the oil cooler just like the vents for the tiny stock intercooler of a 200sx/silvia.

Last edited:

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
Cutting vents into the FD3S where?

Generally, the idea of vents anywhere on a bonnet or side fenders is to enable airflow to move easier through the engine bay. Whether it affects the oil cooler efficiency is debatable unless you have directed intakes and a flat panel under the engine bay.

Wafi

May 21, 2006
Brunei
From what i read,the oil cooler air flow from the front of the car,up the wheel arches and exits at the front rear side fender vents...

Yesteday i just installed a custom water spray system into my fd. The water sprayed directly into the intercooler and another sprayed into both the oil cooler. Im trying my best to reduce the rotary killing heat.

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Hi Wafi. good to see some technical related q's. I would suggest you fabricate ducts for your oil coolers. And yes i have also seen cut outs in the wheel arch liner to help channel flow. A good example in my setup is when the top ducts are removed, i see an increase of 5-10 degrees c in water temps. In principal you want to force the air in and have an outlet for it to move out.

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
Phat,

You mean a decrease of 5-10 degrees?

Quick question: for ducted vents, after a spirited run when you stop, does the oil temp increase since there is no air-flow? Does having a small fan on the two FD oil rads have any affect?

I am also trying to improve air-flow to the oil cooler for my FC. Unfortunately, nothing seems to be working well so far - the large oil cooler is not very friendly and the engine bay is tight or I'm not doing it right. Also, after hard runs the oil temp would spike if I aint moving.

Wafi

May 21, 2006
Brunei
When at stationary, i can push a button and spray water to the intercooler and both oil cooler at the same time. I can see my HKS water temp gauge slowly nudging to a lower temp usually to around 3-5 degrees nearly instantly.

Btw ive been thinking of installing small fans at the oil coolers as well but i wonder where to find small fans which should be strong and water proof.

To add on,on cold early morning work journey, my temp gauge shows around 70 degrees. Is it OK for a rotary to run thar cold?

RXer

Oct 23, 2007
the stock FD have TWO? oil coolers..? is that ryt? one on the laft one on the right... hmmph i removed mine on the right... to make space for a V-mount intercooler setup...

whats ur opinion on this?

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

btw wafi where ur from? whats ur FD setup... am from KB

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear all,

My dad's Toyota Sport 800 has been stolen few days back. He parked his car at tesco kajang. Would be very appreciate if u guys inform me when u guys see this car on the road.
Model : Toyota sport 800
Color : Red
No : KH3989Q
This is a very rare model of Toyota.
Hope can found back this car.

Thanks
Raymee
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience