Newbie from Aberdeen Scotland

aboo40

Aug 8, 2013
Aberdeen/Scotla
Hi guys I'm Andy from Aberdeen, Scotland & thought I should say hello :wavey:

Got a Airtrek R 3 weeks ago but didn't have a great start with it. 4 days after picking it up the thermostat stuck shut & blow the radiator & head gasket while the wife was driving it :frown: but all fixed now.

Its standard at the moment but I will be modding it. Been looking round to see what coilovers fit cause first thing I want to address is the handling then it will be engine modding time.

I also have a Legnum VR4 with these mods.

3"scorpion De-cat
2.5"S/S exhaust from cat back
K&N panel air filter
HKS copy BOV
Tien springs
Running 18psi with no boost control.
Magnecor KV85 HT Leads
NGK Iridium spark plugs
17" Oz Superleggera wheels clad with 225/45/17 94Y Falken 452's
Tan leather seats
Ralliart carbon dash & chrome gear surround
ATF Cooler
Rear strut brace
Selby ARB's
Seibon carbon fiber bonnet
Greddy intercooler with aluminum hard pipes
Cam belt change 22/01/11
GRP Canards from Peter M
Walbro fuel pump
Sard FPR
7203 ECU remapped with Anti-lag
Innovate MTX-L Wideband Gauge

I'm also a moderator on Club VR4 so not new to forums.

I wont bore you's anymore & will try & get some pics of the car up soon.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Hi Andy, thanks for the intro. :) Welcome to MAC. Do share pictures of your Airtrek and Legnum too. They're great MMC cars.

By far, I heard that Tein is the best coilovers for Airtrek. Comfort + performance. I am using XYZ from Taiwan. Not good... a lot of noise.

chubster

Known Member
Aug 14, 2012
New Zealand
Welcome! From what ive heard tein by far. But im on low springs, drives less like a boat but bumps get pretty nasty.

pomnz

Apr 28, 2013
New Zealand
For a cheap suspension mod try stock evo 7 spring, I'm running them now and they're pretty sweet. I did ride in a 'Trek with Tein coilovers but it was too hard for me, that may be because lots of NZ roads are a bit like a special stage though!

aboo40

Aug 8, 2013
Aberdeen/Scotla
Thanks for the welcome guys & info.

The ATR is ultra rare over here in the UK. Mine is 1 of 30 official imports that Mitsubishi sold. So parts are very hard to get. For example I couldn't get the radiator but with CAPS & ASA I found out that the Mitsubishi Outlander rad part number MR993927 fitted perfectly. May help someone on here.

Also when my mechanic was ordering the timing belt, water pump & gasket kit from our local Mitsubishi dealer they never knew what it was & asked him to take a picture to let them see what it was.

I usually do most of the work on my cars my self but when it comes to the big jobs I have a ex Ralliart mechanic who now builds evo rally cars.

He hasn't had a good look at the running gear yet but did notice the ATR has a different inlet manifold, throttle body & smaller injectors than the Evo 7 but we can change that :biggrin:. I already have a Evo 8 manifold for the Evo 8 turbo to go on.

Was looking through the pictures of cars on here & noticed some of your cars have a front strut brace. Can anyone tell me where I could get one from?

Added some pics of my Legnum & a the ATR. Not the best of the ATR cause they were quick ones I took when I first got it.

Attachments

Last edited:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
How does the Airtrek feels to u in comparing your legnum?

If u need help in buying atr parts from here, we can help.

aboo40

Aug 8, 2013
Aberdeen/Scotla
is your legnum manual trans?
No its an auto.

Thanks for the offer guys. I may take you up on that.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

How does the Airtrek feels to u in comparing your legnum?
The Airtrek feels about as fast as the Legnum when it was standard but the handling is no where near it.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Airtrek is just way too heavy. I never like the handling much after I almost spun out on a ramp exit a few years ago. So now, I only concentrate on straight line performance.

Legnum is cool. Is it using V6 twin turbo motor?

aboo40

Aug 8, 2013
Aberdeen/Scotla
Airtrek is just way too heavy. I never like the handling much after I almost spun out on a ramp exit a few years ago. So now, I only concentrate on straight line performance.

Yep V6 twin turbo. 1/4 mile time of 13.6 seconds before it was remapped. Think if I stripped out the back seat,spare wheel etc I could get a mid 12 second 1/4 mile.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

Having problems with the ATR again. Took my boy to football training tonight & on the way home I put the foot down cause it was the first time I had the chance since I got it sorted.

Lose of power, engine management light on & it wont kick down gears when you put your foot down. it feels like its slipping gears. Tomorrow I'm going to check the ATF & disconnect the battery to see if that sorts the problem.

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Yep V6 twin turbo. 1/4 mile time of 13.6 seconds before it was remapped. Think if I stripped out the back seat,spare wheel etc I could get a mid 12 second 1/4 mile.

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
i'm barely sees 1 legnum here in malaysia.. there is 1 guy try to sell one. its a non wagon type.. not sure its a legnum or galant..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys... anyone know whether this aveo bodykit is available in Msia ?? especially JB and KL??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience