New VW Golf GTi - test drove : what a car!

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
Test drove the new VW Golf GTi - what a car! 2.0 FSi engine with turbo, 200bhp & 280Nm of torque, best of all - 6 speed DSG!

Interior wise, not as good as the new Audi A4 but no worse than the new BMW 3 series (E90). Rear space is good, again no worse than the BMW. Boot space, maybe the BMW is better as it is a sedan.

The Golf's power delivery is smooth, hard to detect it's a turbo. The DSG is excellent - just floor the pedal and upshift - no jerking like the Alfa's sillispeed. Brakes - GREAT! Love the firmness of the brake feel and awesome stopping power.

Best of all? The price - RM225,000 for the Wald Golf GTi (DSG, 18" rims with Bridgestone Potenza RE050 tires!) v RM268,000 for the BMW 320i (Auto, 16" rims). You won't get better value if you are looking for a European car.

Tuning potential - plenty! With those 400bhp Golfs and Audi A4 in the US, plenty of tuning products will be available.........

A serious alternative to the 120i and even better value than the new 3 series.

tombstone

1,000 RPM
Mar 1, 2005
Kookaburra said:
Test drove the new VW Golf GTi - what a car! 2.0 FSi engine with turbo, 200bhp & 280Nm of torque, best of all - 6 speed DSG!

Interior wise, not as good as the new Audi A4 but no worse than the new BMW 3 series (E90). Rear space is good, again no worse than the BMW. Boot space, maybe the BMW is better as it is a sedan.

The Golf's power delivery is smooth, hard to detect it's a turbo. The DSG is excellent - just floor the pedal and upshift - no jerking like the Alfa's sillispeed. Brakes - GREAT! Love the firmness of the brake feel and awesome stopping power.

Best of all? The price - RM225,000 for the Wald Golf GTi (DSG, 18" rims with Bridgestone Potenza RE050 tires!) v RM268,000 for the BMW 320i (Auto, 16" rims). You won't get better value if you are looking for a European car.

Tuning potential - plenty! With those 400bhp Golfs and Audi A4 in the US, plenty of tuning products will be available.........

A serious alternative to the 120i and even better value than the new 3 series.
bro were u one of the guyz who stopped at kesas highway awan besar rest area?

hell man..its one booootifol fierce lookin car...

continental_drifter

Known Member
Feb 25, 2005
yeah man....what a car...
the interior they makin it to classic look a like..if u look at the seats...they're simillar to the old golfs..retro style!for me...two thumbs up!

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
tombstone said:
bro were u one of the guyz who stopped at kesas highway awan besar rest area?

hell man..its one booootifol fierce lookin car...
No, test drove at PJ branch around Federal Highway & Jln Templer area. The power is awesome, though I am most impressed with the brakes and the DSG gearbox.

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
DSG.....
Ever wondered how much damage would it cause in your wallet if it broke after warranty?

majalah_sirip

500 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
boggysv said:
DSG.....
Ever wondered how much damage would it cause in your wallet if it broke after warranty?
haha.. true2.. 2 much technology inside.. must need a lot of cash too.. :D

continental_drifter

Known Member
Feb 25, 2005
boggysv said:
DSG.....
if the dsg broke after the warranty....means that the transmission is not good la...

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
I never said that. I still think that the DSG is one hell of a techno-box.

I was just saying "what if?" .
Just in case you are really really unlucky.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
The VW badge vouches for the quality. If you are going to buy a car with flappy paddle gearbox, this system is as good as you are going to get. Go on, name a better system.

aircooled

Known Member
Jul 9, 2004
it is indeed superb. Clearly shows a significant difference between a Jap and Conti car.

Power is god damn good. Not many on the road can catch up. Doesn't even feel that you are going at 200km/h.

18inhers? No problem.....If i blindfold my friend and drive him around, i am very sure he won't know the difference.Hardto push down from outside, but once inside, i am sure many cars runing 15 inchers feel much harder.

Difficult to even tell it is a turbo car, just from that tiny exhaust sound that gave it away. Well refined engine.

However, even it is good but i am not surprised. I drove an Audi A6 2.7 Bi Turbo Quattro last time - test drove only , not mine......that was even a bigger bastard. Only the size lets it down.

Good buy to thiose who can afford it.

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
Gwad....saw one yesterday, and he was showing me the boost....
I cummed on the spot...

Kopi

500 RPM
May 18, 2004
Cheras
Visit site
Agree with Kooka... had a test of it too last week with WALD Jln Yap Kwan Seng. Boosting at 0.3bar, I wish I found that stupid cocky SGTi boy and see how he likes it to be showed off to and feel how stupid it is...

Last edited:

prozac

1,000 RPM
Jan 18, 2004
Visit site
Good alternative to Evos and Imprezas. Probably some might look away due to it being an FF. But between an EP3 and this, I'd prefer the GTi. At least your hard earned money won't tag the words "RICE" on you. And you get helluva better quality and a car that can last for another 30 years.

Kopi

500 RPM
May 18, 2004
Cheras
Visit site
prozac said:
Good alternative to Evos and Imprezas. Probably some might look away due to it being an FF. But between an EP3 and this, I'd prefer the GTi. At least your hard earned money won't tag the words "RICE" on you. And you get helluva better quality and a car that can last for another 30 years.
agree... instead of driving a rusty tin milo snapped with "tinkits" with Horlicks inside it (yeah... I'm driving one)... the question of How long will it stand is a very important factor when deciding for a ride.... and VW proven it has passed the test of time. Good buy...

continental_drifter

Known Member
Feb 25, 2005
yeah true guys!one off them is me..im driving the first batch of vw golf 1976...and it last until now...wehoooOooo...and people still lookin at my car...im proud to drive that car!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,
Im new to turbo world and need some advice on my new upgrade RVR 4G63 Turbo.
I have complete
1. stainless steel piping.
2. Works Fuel regulator.
3. Turbo timer
4. Turbo meter
5. Pivot speedcut
6. HKS blowoff
I did the dyno with 176HP & Torque 21.49

With the current standard ECU with TD04H, need advice what to install to achieve 300HP?

Current issue I have now are during uphill, there are no power at all unless pedal for more fuel or change L-gear. When I ask around...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience