Need advise on EMS..

TomicaGTR

Known Member
Jun 6, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all,

I drive evo IX with std mods (turbo manifold, turbo outlet, waste gate, BOV & exhaust piping) willing to install engine management unit. Since I'm not really experience in these kind of mods, I have some dilemma to choose whether to install Haltech or ECUtek. I got some suggestions from my friends but still not really convincing. Appreciate if someone can advise for both in term of cost for the unit, installation, tuning and most importantly hp gain. Hope this may end up with no disaster to my ride. The suggestion outside of those 2 is also welcome :adore::adore::adore:

AdamHurri

Jul 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I faced d delimma u were facing. I also didnt knw whether to use a stand alone Ecu unit like Haltech, Motec or Autronics or Reflash using something like EcuTek. After much consideration n seeing some frens car who tuned using EcuTek i feel dats d best way to go. Getting a stand alone unit will cost u around at least 6k to 5 figures. EcuTek onli 2.8k for the license. To retune stand alone will cost u around 600-800 n dat's vr steep while EcuTek will charge u a few hundred if u install hardwares like cams or bigger turbos n moreover it's free if u dnt feel satisfied with the initial tuning. The main difference between stand alone Ecu in comparison to EcuTek is dat Stand Alone Ecu is a brain by itself which means u remove ur stock ECU 2 make way for ur stand alone ECU which makes d job of installing it vr messy. EcuTek meanwhile utilizes ur Stock ECU n maximizes the potential of ur stock ECU which in truth is vr huge. It has 2 Maps dat u can switch. Like 1 Map for Spirited driving n d other for Economical driving. There are many fascinating functions dat d EcuTek can do for ur car n gains can expect from 20WHP to 60WHP depending on d mods done 2 ur car. Seriously, check out d EcuTek main website n u'll find out more.

nyantong

Known Member
Jul 26, 2008
ECUTek is good in terms of you need not rewire or add any device or rechip your OEM ECU. In that way, you can use it to your advantage; example for specific classes in competition whereby they ban any form of engine management modification. Using ECUTek is stealthy as there is no physical trace of any mods to your ECU.
Furthermore, you can still maintain other functions such as air cond.

However, stand alones too have their benefits. For one, you can tune yourself as there aren't any license restrictions and the tuning softwares are free to be used so to speak. And for extreme modifications, stand alones allow wider control of the engine.

So, you need to decide what exactly is your need or purpose for your Evo. Street car with occasional track days or pure competition use.

Thousandten

Known Member
Aug 20, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
if u still maintain all stock part just do the ecutek are more than enough,bco ecutek good for below 400 horse power. or just doing slight modify as racing cam 268(can still via stock valve spring),and fluidampr crankpulley.change the matel gasket ,as cometic gasket 1.5mm and boost 1.2bar or more see your car comdition....
try to visit DRAGSTAR CAR PERFORMANCE CENTRE or just call 012-3941832 james ask for good price

TomicaGTR

Known Member
Jun 6, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks a lot guys. Now i can see almost a clear picture. Of course both of them have their own benefits but in my case, my car is a street car with no major modification planned in place. May be some intention to join track days haha. As long as the Ecutek has 2 maps to switch for spirited or economical driving then it's enough for me. Another point is where i should bring my car for installation and most importantly for tuning. Finding a good tuner will make a lot of different right? I think so la. Appreciate ur suggestions to recommend the installer n tuner. Feel free to pm me if u guys think u need to do so. Ehh guys thanks again for ur helps. Appreciate much!!

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

if u still maintain all stock part just do the ecutek are more than enough,bco ecutek good for below 400 horse power. or just doing slight modify as racing cam 268(can still via stock valve spring),and fluidampr crankpulley.change the matel gasket ,as cometic gasket 1.5mm and boost 1.2bar or more see your car comdition....
try to visit DRAGSTAR CAR PERFORMANCE CENTRE or just call 012-3941832 james ask for good price
TT: I'll try to get james and communicate with him see how it goes.. Tq buddy..

AdamHurri

Jul 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
There are 3 places which does EcuTek n have proven Results.
1. Auto Enginuity- Tuner from Edge Tuning named Ken (Majority Subaru owners tuned by him)
2. N1 Racing-Desmond i think.
3. Links Racing-Tuner is Kee who i personally reccomend. My fren tuned his car with him n gained 30 WHP n his torque now is 400NM on wheels. His mods were only Air Filter n Full Exhaust System onli. Once i hv money i will tune my car with him as well

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

need some advise on these 2 gbox.... what are the pro or con of these 2 gbox....i'm thinking of changing my gbox to mivec gbox to get the lsd feeling huhu....is the gear ratio same? gti 3 gear suxx when change from 2nd to 3rd ....if the ratio same then i will consider pz lsd

p.s tried searching through this web but cant find the exact answer
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience