Need advice for racing

nic_83

Jun 7, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hello everyone. It has been some time since i visited this site. The last time, members here were really helpful in providing me info on buying a car. Appreciate that a lot and now i'm in need of help again.

My boyfriend is going for a race called Saturday Night Fever tomorrow in Johor. It's his first time and he wants me to be with him. But due to the distance, I will not be able to go. So, I'm thinking of helping him out by maybe giving some tips to race. I know he is new, so anything would be much of a help.

Thanks once again. By the way, i think he's driving a Honda Civic. He recently acquired it and wants to put the car to a test.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Get slick or semi slick tyres, but not for wet, only for dry tracks. Pump at least 40psi pressure.
Disc pads at least 800 degree type, if not brakes can fade or fail.
Got mod suspension or not??

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Lol, hey nic, i'll be there too.

and i would also like to know. just some last minute prep for me. tyre pressure is one that i can do. what bout others? getting slicks not now for me. its just for fun. its free to drag. so, just giving it a try. have been practicing my shifts past few days. using ron97 now but cant feel the difference. will be removing my spare tyre and other nonsense from my car. not the seats though. so anything else. keep it flowing. hehe. i'm excited...:driver::vroam::vroam::vroam::vroam:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So you going for Drag or Race?
At least, semi then, Kumho KU36, Federal 595 RS-R, Archellies 123
Your current brake pads can take it?

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
me drag la bro. I dont know bout OP but i think if tom in johor must be in pasir gudang circuit and must be drag la. I'm using normal brake pads. tyres also i'm using yoko A drive. i dont think so its slick or even semi. Not gonna change all that la bro. In fact, the race is tom and i dont think i can change anything. hehe. i like your suggestions and i believe ur absolutely right. so dont get me wrong. I'm talking bout easy and cheap things to be done. u know like tyre pressure, simple weight reduction and that's about it that i know. lol... will an octane booster help?

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
guys saturday just play for fun... lots of on the road cars will join, from stock, slightly modded,heavy mod, and competition mod will be there. so no worries.

1.Launching is very important..
-so if using normal road tires, try not to launch too high... keep the rev steady at maybe around 1.5k then launch...if using performance road tires, can launch around 2k rpm, depends on setup and tire thread %. semi slicks 888 or R1R a bit extreme already...dangerous on wet roads...so if this is just a once a while thing...my advise use something like T1R. Try not to miss shift, this will definitely kill your run.

2. no need to remove seats all...too much of a hassle unless you have an important "game". than go all out remove door panels, seats, spare tire, jack, tool box etc, and keep max half tank of petrol. Ron97.

3. this is the most important.................................... just go and have fun!!!!!!!!

Invite anybody you want to race in your category or higher....dont invite lower it will look like you are a showoff... just keep your window down...show a friendly face...and people will invite you...or you can invite for a friendly game.

Dont horn...Dont jumpstart... Yellow Light blinks 3 times, then Go light.

Tmr night is Honda free night. so honda only pay rm10 to drive in, and no need to pay anything to enter drag strip.

Nic, ur BF is lucky to have u...loll... such a nice gf doing check and tips for the bf..

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
me drag la bro. I dont know bout OP but i think if tom in johor must be in pasir gudang circuit and must be drag la. I'm using normal brake pads. tyres also i'm using yoko A drive. i dont think so its slick or even semi. Not gonna change all that la bro. In fact, the race is tom and i dont think i can change anything. hehe. i like your suggestions and i believe ur absolutely right. so dont get me wrong. I'm talking bout easy and cheap things to be done. u know like tyre pressure, simple weight reduction and that's about it that i know. lol... will an octane booster help?
Drag then not too bad, but if circuit then is better to have the mod, as safety first.
Like Bro. AD_EG mention of the launch part when using different tyres.....:burnout:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
-the run is approx around 300m... so tell him to prepare to break when reach the line, cause its a sharp right corner at the end....if he is on the inner lane...brake 1st to allow car on left to cut in.... if he is on left prepare to brake and turn in.

-launching should be trial n error....try at 2k rpm..if tires spins too much reduce...if minimal spin increase to 2.5 and try next round...keep on tryin until you find your tires and engine comfortable launching point.

- check engine oil is enough ...if not vtec cant open... then wasted your time. heheh or worse spun bearing/ blown engine. check water also.

-if abosrber is adjustable...stiff on the front...a bit softer on the back...this actually helps on launching with energy transfer...

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
yeah this is what i'm wanting. I dont know how serious is Nic's bf though.

1. ad_eg, yoko a drive is normal tyres right? so just launch at 1.5k? i've been practicing gear shifts. not even close to perfect but ok la i think. hehe.

2. i'm removing just the spare tyre and jack. not others. lazy and dont know how to open up and fix back.lol. yes, i know petrol weight also important, so i filled rm30 97. got slightly abov e 10Litres of petrol. is it enough to go for 4 or 5 rounds?

3. i'm all in for the fun. hehe..

I'm actually going with 2 other friends. one with a c4 and a turbo serena. hehe. most likely, i'll be racing them. will this give an impression to others that i'm a show off? i mean they dont know my db8 is stock. ???? i hope to make friends not enemies there. lol... how would i know if one of the car is running b16 or b18 or b20? i dont quite understand how to know which are the cars are in the same category with me.

i'm excited...

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
on a Drive and b20 setup...i think u launch 1.5k should be nice bro.. try and see which one suite u la bro..until it spins too much must reduce.... ya just do some simple weight reduction..if got woofer remove.spare tire.jack etc..half tank petrol.

bro vr is 100% right. tire is very very crucial.... car not so fast nvm...tire must be good...it helps to give great launch and when shifting less spin...more go...however again depends on your stage/setup/requirement. if you gonna be a frequent visitor for saturday night run, better get some spare cheap taiwan light rims....buy 2 toyo 888, keep and standby...game night? tire on! make sure no rain. :)

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
oh yes, check engine oil, water level and anything else? i'm sure we dont want to blow our engines simply because we entered a drag race for fun.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

thanks for the advice y'all. appreciate them a lot.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bro. AD_EG Pasir Gundang kaki ah? Good info....

If FWD, back suspension softer? Last time tried, the front go up like prancing horse woh!

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
yeah this is what i'm wanting. I dont know how serious is Nic's bf though.

1. ad_eg, yoko a drive is normal tyres right? so just launch at 1.5k? i've been practicing gear shifts. not even close to perfect but ok la i think. hehe.

2. i'm removing just the spare tyre and jack. not others. lazy and dont know how to open up and fix back.lol. yes, i know petrol weight also important, so i filled rm30 97. got slightly abov e 10Litres of petrol. is it enough to go for 4 or 5 rounds?

3. i'm all in for the fun. hehe..

I'm actually going with 2 other friends. one with a c4 and a turbo serena. hehe. most likely, i'll be racing them. will this give an impression to others that i'm a show off? i mean they dont know my db8 is stock. ???? i hope to make friends not enemies there. lol... how would i know if one of the car is running b16 or b18 or b20? i dont quite understand how to know which are the cars are in the same category with me.

i'm excited...
1.can say normal road tire bro. dont launch too high..practise and find the best for you n your baby

2.yup taht is good enough

3.thats the way bro...! some ppl they get a little bit tooooo competitive. :)

playing with friends/each other no issues bro...as long as they know all in the name of fun....what i meant dont invite strangers at a diff cat....cause it will look like you want to bully... among friend if got one skyline and u still race also nvm bro..heheh or stock myvi...as long as u r friendly, def can meet new friends bro.. :)

ok...try to remain playing with any vtec...more or less you see when they run..u agak2 see la how fast...you can play with b18 and b20....if a heavily modded b16 means also u can try..or when u wait at the side...there is a usher i think his name Sayed, he will arrange friendly match among others....just accept his invitation...he will ask what engine..u say b20...he will find b18 or 20 to play with you. :burnout:

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Bro. AD_EG Pasir Gundang kaki ah? Good info....

If FWD, back suspension softer? Last time tried, the front go up like prancing horse woh!
ok bro...im not so good on explaining on this la..but ill try :)

when its front too soft right you can feel your launch freaking lembik..like all the energy from the launch did not hold in...you feel like it was all absorbed by the weight of the car and soft absorber...feel like a limp d**k...heheheh

but when you put stiff front, back softer a bit...not super soft bro...just a bit softer...you feel the car jump off like a frog... something about the power transfer that makes it feel right la i think...

your car too powerful kot bro...somemore you FI car, maybe a bit diff ah the feeling ? not sure... cause your launch, its important to minimize lag, until you reach turbine spools up...so maygbe diff a bit... correct me if im wrong bro... :itsme:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yoko A-Drive is entry level road tyres. Dry not too bad.
Manual or Auto. Manual can play with clutch too.
Go for fun, don't get too aggressive that's all......:driver:

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
As always, the fastest guy wins.

Therefore, tell your bf to forget about the brakes,.....they only slow him down ;) lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Im driving a wira with converted engine and rear disc brake. It seems that they only assist less than 10% of the braking. The rear disc brake pads are rarely change, the disc looks smooth & there is no cove at the tip of the disc. means it has never really been use. i was hoping to get hand brake stop effect at 80km +, but mech says it not possible. any advice ??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience