My 4 Pots Brake Caliper Upgrade

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I have been helping my mechanic to advertise at a few places on the brake upgrade package. But I thought it will be cool to share the details of the brake upgrade progress and pictures. This is one of the upgrade, which I like the most, in terms of performance and also visual appeal. :)

Braking power has improved pretty good. Not that the original caliper is weak, just that Airtrek is a bit too heavy, hence it needs better and stronger braking power to stop the car. I can now confidently do hard braking.... well, not entirely confidently because my tires aren't up to par yet. Hehehe... drive safely brothers!

Original front brake before the upgrade. I've painted my caliper red from the help of my son last December, kinda dirty though.

Caliper removed.

Comparing the original disc and the new disc which comes with the caliper. It's noticibly bigger.

Disc is in place.

And the 4 pots caliper.

Behind the wheels.

Anyone wants more info about the brake package, please come here : http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...e-caliper-upgrade-package.html#post1064016808

Last edited:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Hehehe.. bro, I was at Ah Wah's place yesterday (Friday) for engine mounting replacement and also Evo 6 cam-set installation. :D Will post put picture later, must wash car cos too dirty already!

eyang_sl

Oct 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Bro,my disc rotor kong liao,pulsating like shit when hard braking. How much do u change at wah place? Is the price include the paint?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Hi Bro,

Ahh.. time for 4 pots! :)

I changed at Ah Wah's place for Rm1600. Yes, it includes painting and before you go, call him and tell him the color of choice of your preference. It's one of the mod which I like most on my car. Coupe with fine spokes rims, it'll look just great. Hehehe...

And if you compare, even Taiwanese 4 pots with disc are around RM6K nowadays. So this is really a bargain. By the way, the calipers are SUMITOMO from Toyota Soarer/Supra.

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

bro stutzedward....how much cost for replace engine mounting at ah wah's place??
So sorry bro, I only read this now. I did together with cams and valve seals. But i think the mounting + labor should be around RM1500-1700.

Attachments

Last edited:

cftiew

Feb 9, 2009
bro, i purposely spend my day-off travel from jb to KL and installed the 4-brake caliper by ah hwa, but got a weird sound something like yikKkzzzzz when everytime i step on brake from 60km/h - 0km/h .... so tomolo i will go nearby workshop to check .....

my question is which type of brake pad i need to buy for replacement??

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
U sud ask Ah Wah what is the brake pad replacement model.

I get a loud TAK sound after upgrading to 4 pots during emergency hard braking. Then I went back and it's due to my eibach spring glove. They all worn out and had it replaced by orange water pipes. Solved the problem. It did not exist before this because braking power was less powerful. After getting more forward G, the spring spiral come in contact of each other creating the TAK sound.

Is yr sound brake pads EEEEEEE sound?

---------- Post added at 06:03 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:01 AM ----------

By the way, how's the braking power? What color did u choose? Care to share a pic? U need to run in the pads first. I hope yr not too put off by the noise problem.

cftiew

Feb 9, 2009
yap the noise like Eeeeeee !!!, last Thursday i purposely spend my day off travel 320km ++ to kinrara industrial. i saw kaninbu's airtrek at the same time, i choose silver color, exactly like yours.

Run in??? after upgrading the brake system i straight away go back to JB so 350km ++ plus this trek is my daily use car, from the day i installed till now i think more than 2000KM usage .

The purpose of this post i hope everyone else faced the similar problem so i can settle the problem in JB. of cos i got a picture.

As u mention u can install the brake caliper with the spacer, but my trek need to skim abit the caliper + spacer only can clear the rims furthermore i got the same rims as urs.

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

the braking power improve alot, more confidence when high speed but just the noise, anyway this is quite good invest after all..... this ah wah twice times fix my trek, the 1st time was boost issue but just a piece of cake for him, second time was brake system, so i hope third time will be the TD05 haha.....

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

the braking power improve alot, more confidence when high speed but just the noise, anyway this is quite good invest after all..... this ah wah twice times fix my trek, the 1st time was boost issue but just a piece of cake for him, second time was brake system, so i hope third time will be the TD05 haha.....

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
bro,
u saw my ugly trek?
oh ya...went to ah wah to fix my crack manifold.
the eeee sound is normal for bbk.either brake pad,slight jam piston or uneven rotor.as long as the grip is there,u should live with it.not much can do about it because the force is changed either into sound or heat.heat is not a good sign for braking system.

cftiew

Feb 9, 2009
bro kaninbu, u trek not bad wat? alot of good stuffs in the engine bay, about my brake caliper noise i can't stand with it, make me so embarrassing LOL, i will try to solve the problem in JB workshop. anyway thank you for calling the taxi .... i felt lost as that is my 1st time been kinrara industrial.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Bro cftiew, so your Airtrek's brake is eeeeee sound and not any knocking sound? Well, sometimes brake pads are like that. Can't do much cos mine has it too. Pretty annoying but do you know that competition brake pads are like that too?

Mine is RED and not silver. Do shre a pic bro... :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Today, I finally decided to go for the upgrade... been having sleepless night thinking about it over the last 3 days.

1. Woke up at 8AM, clean up n ready by 9AM.
2. Check my car - been having some coolant leaks over the last few days.
3. Start up and head towards Centre Point, BU for quick breakfast.
4. Called Stan at 10:45AM and fix appointment at 11:30PM.
5. Stan led the way - I'm hopeless with inner KL roads.
6. Arrived at MPD, saw many cars awaiting final tuning. Time was 12:15PM.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience