Mr2 mx5

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
Hello folks,

I looked at videos of MR2 and MX5, the older and newer models.
But have never driven any of these to know which has more space for luggage.

From videos, I feel that Mr2 being mid-engined, has no trunk space and no rear passenger seats.
The Mx5 has trunk space but I prefer the looks of MR2 being more aggressive looking.

Does the MR2 have space behind the front row seats to put some small luggage or is it taken up by the retractable roof (soft or hard tops)?

I am looking for a sports car with hardtop and good weight distribution like these 2 cars and having some space for a some luggage.

regards
Richard

AE75

Known Member
Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hello folks,

I looked at videos of MR2 and MX5, the older and newer models.
But have never driven any of these to know which has more space for luggage.

From videos, I feel that Mr2 being mid-engined, has no trunk space and no rear passenger seats.
The Mx5 has trunk space but I prefer the looks of MR2 being more aggressive looking.

Does the MR2 have space behind the front row seats to put some small luggage or is it taken up by the retractable roof (soft or hard tops)?

I am looking for a sports car with hardtop and good weight distribution like these 2 cars and having some space for a some luggage.

regards
Richard
Yes, MR2 got space for some small luggage, but it allocate at front bonet.
here is the picture for front luggage space:

If it isn't enough, you may put your luggage like this:

Anyway I drove my friend MR2 SW20 and MX5 before, and I strongly suggest MR2 is the best.

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
IMHO, the MR2 may look better & being MR has good weight distribution on paper but in real life, the SW20 is actually quite "tail happy" when pushed hard in the corners, thus a handful to handle when that happens.

The MX5 on the other hand may not look as handsome, is more tame & easier to handle; being lighter than the MR2 & all.

The MRS might be a compromise between the both.

Just sharing my opinion.

AE75

Known Member
Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
IMHO, the MR2 may look better & being MR has good weight distribution on paper but in real life, the SW20 is actually quite "tail happy" when pushed hard in the corners, thus a handful to handle when that happens.

The MX5 on the other hand may not look as handsome, is more tame & easier to handle; being lighter than the MR2 & all.

The MRS might be a compromise between the both.

Just sharing my opinion.
I agree with you. Actually almost all MR platform car need some skill to drive, especially in racing mode.

This problem on these platform:
FF: Understeer
FR: Oversteer
MR: Much Oversteer than FR, but less than RR
RR: Much Oversteer than FR and MR
AWD: Superb handling

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
Hi Gurus,

Thanks for sharing those pics AE75. Very nice ! :D
The luggage fixture is also interesting and a smart idea.

2 Old Too Rusty & 3ZZ, thanks , points taken :D

Am wondering where to get a hardtop (non-retractable) to replace a soft-top permanently?
Soft tops seem so vulnerable to tampering. It appears that most MR2's are soft-tops.

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
They're 2 units in my area & 1 of them belonged to my friend (both are hard tops). My friend had just sold his about a couple of weeks ago when he became a family man & bought a Cayenne.

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
why choose MX5 le? mind share your opinion?
Light,well balanced chassis,new 2.0 liter 170hp n/a engine gives response and fuel economy,good handling which MX5 is known for,new car have more safety features,better brakes,suspensions...the older MX5 is rival to AE86,which is both are categorized as lightweight,balanced small FR car...since AE86 is out of production now and mazda still making MX5 so i guess,its the closest thing for a lightweight,small FR fun...i have nothing against MR2,but MX5 is more balanced...in my opinion

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
suzuki cappucino is more fun.... :biggrin:

sori OOT :adore:

AE75

Known Member
Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Light,well balanced chassis,new 2.0 liter 170hp n/a engine gives response and fuel economy,good handling which MX5 is known for,new car have more safety features,better brakes,suspensions...the older MX5 is rival to AE86,which is both are categorized as lightweight,balanced small FR car...since AE86 is out of production now and mazda still making MX5 so i guess,its the closest thing for a lightweight,small FR fun...i have nothing against MR2,but MX5 is more balanced...in my opinion
huh? I thought MR2 is more balance compare to MX5. :hmmmm:

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
IMHO, the best thing to do before you decide is to go & find one at the dealer & take it for a test drive. Everyone has a different opinion & no one can be the judge of what you yourself like best, Richard.

AE75

Known Member
Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
IMHO, the best thing to do before you decide is to go & find one at the dealer & take it for a test drive. Everyone has a different opinion & no one can be the judge of what you yourself like best, Richard.
I totally agree with u... if you look for 2 seater car, I suggest don't forget to look at Honda S2000 and Toyota MRS also. This might be better than your opinion car.

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
The new MX5 (> RM 200k) & S2000 very expensive wor...

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello fellow ZTH-ians:_: I'm having problems with my HID and i couldn't pinpoint the source.. When i switch on my headlamps it would look normal 10000k but after a while the bulb on the right starts to project yellow instead of the normal blue.. Is the ballast damaged or my car voltage is not stabalized? Thanks in advance for the help :regular_smile:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience