• Weekend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Evo also can play mah! Lots of parts and probably cheaper too.....:driver:
Comparing between same generation with STI, Evo is more expensive now. Lately, Evo 9 prices seemed to hover over 100-120k. Ver 9 STI mostly 90k plus.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Parts leh not car price......subaru not every where can get......
Sourcing for parts more difficult for STI. Downside for Evo's easiness to source parts would also means that Evo is actually higher on theft list than STI. Evo's parts are compatible with more cars...

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Very true regarding maintenance and repair. Last time when cars are more mechanical and simple, almost any shop out there can perform basic fixes and maintenance. Parts are easy to remove and install. Today, most of the time the car needs to be send back to service centre where the experts will deal with it. After that, the cost of repair won't come out cheap.

And there is this saying that the more parts a car had, the chances of parts failing is also higher. If let's say a car had a 1% chance of parts failure. Between a car with 100 parts VS a car with 1000 parts, the one with 100 parts will only have 1 part that is broken while the 1000 part will have 10 parts.

Manual gearbox is not totally obsolete yet in new cars but in most markets, they are gone. I see many new cars that is newly released still comes with a manual gearbox, but mostly for European market or USA market. In fact, the latest generation Subaru WRX (VAG chassis), is only available in CVT on its home market Japan while other places gets a 6 speed manual. Unfortunate that the new FA20DIT engine can't be paired with a manual gearbox in Japan. I heard the engine is more fuel efficient than the older EJ boxer engine and yet able to produce similar output of 300hp.
Cars in the last 10 years or so have become a lot more complicated with so many systems & sensors. One sensor malfunction then it can already stop the car even though the basics of the car (engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes etc.) are actually all still ok and can still drive without any issues. Many of those sensors are actually a protection measures to protect the engine etc. but they can be the source of the problem themselves!

One real case example is the Mark X version with the VSC. There were 1 time when we went TT at Genting and one owner suddenly had his power steering not working! So many symbols light up in the dash and we all thought his power steering was spoiled already. After towing and checking in the workshop the following days, they found out that the power steering had no issues at all but it's a yaw sensor for the VSC that caused the problem! So essentially the car was still all fine and should still be able to be driven as normal but just because there's this yaw sensor failure, suddenly it deactivated the power steering and the car cannot be driven anymore. Luckily this happened when he already arrived in the parking lot and not while driving up or down, that will be a disaster but yet due to some stupid sensor which also actually will only work when the car is out of control! Incident like this sometimes makes me longing for simpler basic car, and also kinda justify my decision to choose the lowest version without that VSC. (Even though I know many nowadays will say I'm stupid to choose a car without VSC! Well they can say whatever and I don't care coz I'm driving it and I believe me with my pair of hands and feet and driving experience is still a lot more safer than most idiots who drive with VSC cars on the road today!)

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Everything scare no need drive loh! Your Wira even higher on the theft list......lol
Wira depends whether modded or not. Mine stock. :biggrin:

But to be honest, the recent increase of theft cases really gives me a scare. Saw before few cars who got stolen via Facebook. Despite many being found the next day later, things have already been stripped down. Just took them a day to do it.

Cars in the last 10 years or so have become a lot more complicated with so many systems & sensors. One sensor malfunction then it can already stop the car even though the basics of the car (engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes etc.) are actually all still ok and can still drive without any issues. Many of those sensors are actually a protection measures to protect the engine etc. but they can be the source of the problem themselves!

One real case example is the Mark X version with the VSC. There were 1 time when we went TT at Genting and one owner suddenly had his power steering not working! So many symbols light up in the dash and we all thought his power steering was spoiled already. After towing and checking in the workshop the following days, they found out that the power steering had no issues at all but it's a yaw sensor for the VSC that caused the problem! So essentially the car was still all fine and should still be able to be driven as normal but just because there's this yaw sensor failure, suddenly it deactivated the power steering and the car cannot be driven anymore. Luckily this happened when he already arrived in the parking lot and not while driving up or down, that will be a disaster but yet due to some stupid sensor which also actually will only work when the car is out of control! Incident like this sometimes makes me longing for simpler basic car, and also kinda justify my decision to choose the lowest version without that VSC. (Even though I know many nowadays will say I'm stupid to choose a car without VSC! Well they can say whatever and I don't care coz I'm driving it and I believe me with my pair of hands and feet and driving experience is still a lot more safer than most idiots who drive with VSC cars on the road today!)
Yeah, I heard many new cars refused to start if any sensors detected any problem. Despite the safety priority, like you said, it can be a hassle especially if one could not even start the car to at least get to somewhere fix the car. Even towing or flatbed truck services may not be available all the time or in every location. Good thing is that at least the car warns you that something is wrong unlike old cars where you need to detect the problem yourself or from the mechanic during maintenance.

That seems a bit too over for Toyota to deactivate the power steering just because of a yaw sensor. I'm not sure whether will the deactivation take place while the engine is already starting halfway because it sounds stupid and dangerous to have the power steering deactivated suddenly. I think maybe the deactivation will only happen on the next time you start up the engine instead of just doing it while the car is on the go?

Well, one thing that I think is beneficial from driving a car with less complex electronics would be that it actually lets the driver to learn more about their own car and improve their skills but some might say the driver is at a risk which is true. For me, I don't mind because people during the past few decades have driven cars without all these and they learned their skills from it. Too much electronics won't really give much improvement on one's skill in driving. Like a friend of mine who owns a new Vios TRD as his first car complete with reverse parking camera and sensors. I asked him, can he park without them? He said without camera, still fine but with some difficulties. If without sensor and camera, probably can't park. So, I told him that he probably can't drive my car because it doesn't have camera or reverse sensor plus it is also a manual. He agrees. :rofl:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Agree totally, my mechanic is old school and started from carb day. Those cars, when something not working he can bypass and drive the car home first.....lol:rofl:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Like a friend of mine who owns a new Vios TRD as his first car complete with reverse parking camera and sensors. I asked him, can he park without them? He said without camera, still fine but with some difficulties. If without sensor and camera, probably can't park. So, I told him that he probably can't drive my car because it doesn't have camera or reverse sensor plus it is also a manual. He agrees. :rofl:
My daughter used to drive my manual Hyundai. So when she was intern at VW in Old Klang Road, there was shortage of parking, so staffs have to double or even triple park. So who is early park in and when need to go out, the back cars have to reverse. One day she was parked last so when colleague wanted to go out she handed to him the car keys. He went to the car, saw the manual stick came back and ask her to reverse......hhahhahahhahhah:rofl:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Agree totally, my mechanic is old school and started from carb day. Those cars, when something not working he can bypass and drive the car home first.....lol:rofl:
I'm not even sure young mechanics nowadays still learn how to tune carb or not.

My daughter used to drive my manual Hyundai. So when she was intern at VW in Old Klang Road, there was shortage of parking, so staffs have to double or even triple park. So who is early park in and when need to go out, the back cars have to reverse. One day she was parked last so when colleague wanted to go out she handed to him the car keys. He went to the car, saw the manual stick came back and ask her to reverse......hhahhahahhahhah:rofl:
How can you work in the automotive industry but unable to drive a manual transmission even though it is only a simple reversing. :hmmmm: But I guess it is the norm for KL people maybe....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yeah, I heard many new cars refused to start if any sensors detected any problem. Despite the safety priority, like you said, it can be a hassle especially if one could not even start the car to at least get to somewhere fix the car. Even towing or flatbed truck services may not be available all the time or in every location. Good thing is that at least the car warns you that something is wrong unlike old cars where you need to detect the problem yourself or from the mechanic during maintenance.

That seems a bit too over for Toyota to deactivate the power steering just because of a yaw sensor. I'm not sure whether will the deactivation take place while the engine is already starting halfway because it sounds stupid and dangerous to have the power steering deactivated suddenly. I think maybe the deactivation will only happen on the next time you start up the engine instead of just doing it while the car is on the go?

Well, one thing that I think is beneficial from driving a car with less complex electronics would be that it actually lets the driver to learn more about their own car and improve their skills but some might say the driver is at a risk which is true. For me, I don't mind because people during the past few decades have driven cars without all these and they learned their skills from it. Too much electronics won't really give much improvement on one's skill in driving. Like a friend of mine who owns a new Vios TRD as his first car complete with reverse parking camera and sensors. I asked him, can he park without them? He said without camera, still fine but with some difficulties. If without sensor and camera, probably can't park. So, I told him that he probably can't drive my car because it doesn't have camera or reverse sensor plus it is also a manual. He agrees. :rofl:
Well I suppose because the yaw sensor is for the VSC and the power steering is also electric, so everything is connected to work together to help regain control of the car when it is out of control, so when that sensor failed, it also affected the power steering even though the power steering itself is perfectly fine. It happened suddenly when the guy already arrived in the parking lot.

Like I said many times before maybe here and other forums, people who don't know how to park properly do not deserve a license in the first place, tell that to your friend! I hate clumsy drivers who cannot park properly. Unfortunately there are tons of those in Malaysia, either due to really pathetic skill and/or lousy don't care attitude. Compared to my home country sorry to say in general the parking skill of Malaysians are just way below!

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I'm not even sure young mechanics nowadays still learn how to tune carb or not.

How can you work in the automotive industry but unable to drive a manual transmission even though it is only a simple reversing. :hmmmm: But I guess it is the norm for KL people maybe....

I don't think so, because my friend who has the older Iswara carb model was looking high and low for a carb mechanic. Many he went to, say they don't do and these are season mechanic......lol

Depends where you work, because many brands no more manual.....hhahhahaha

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Well I suppose because the yaw sensor is for the VSC and the power steering is also electric, so everything is connected to work together to help regain control of the car when it is out of control, so when that sensor failed, it also affected the power steering even though the power steering itself is perfectly fine. It happened suddenly when the guy already arrived in the parking lot.

Like I said many times before maybe here and other forums, people who don't know how to park properly do not deserve a license in the first place, tell that to your friend! I hate clumsy drivers who cannot park properly. Unfortunately there are tons of those in Malaysia, either due to really pathetic skill and/or lousy don't care attitude. Compared to my home country sorry to say in general the parking skill of Malaysians are just way below!
So, the power steering actually failed when the car is still running? That is dangerous indeed.

So far every time I see my friend park his car, he parks properly. But that is on his own car. On other cars without sensors and camera, I can't say the same.

Considering the higher amount of cars at Indonesia, percentage of people who can't park properly is still lower than Malaysia? If so, I guess Malaysia really need to do something about their mentality. I'm sure in most of these improperly parked vehicles, it is more about their attitude than skill. I mean, you can always try to correct your parking until you got it right. There is no time limit unlike during licence test (which there is a time limit for you to park the car). All these "tidak apa" "nobody cares" "people do I do la" kind of attitude on parking and driving should be reduced.

I don't think so, because my friend who has the older Iswara carb model was looking high and low for a carb mechanic. Many he went to, say they don't do and these are season mechanic......lol

Depends where you work, because many brands no more manual.....hhahhahaha
Er season mechanic? You mean experienced?

So, I guess in automotive colleges, they no longer teach about carb? And here I am, thinking of getting some old school cars next time to test the feeling of twin weber carb... :bawling:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Considering the higher amount of cars at Indonesia, percentage of people who can't park properly is still lower than Malaysia? If so, I guess Malaysia really need to do something about their mentality. I'm sure in most of these improperly parked vehicles, it is more about their attitude than skill. I mean, you can always try to correct your parking until you got it right. There is no time limit unlike during licence test (which there is a time limit for you to park the car). All these "tidak apa" "nobody cares" "people do I do la" kind of attitude on parking and driving should be reduced.
Probably I think a bit of both, skill and attitude. Here not so crowded, parking space are a lot more and bigger, yet already countless times I see cars parking at improper angles or eating 2 spaces like nobody's business. IMHO if you really have good parking skill, most of the time you can park properly in just 1 try and no need to correct your position anymore, and that comes like almost automatic. So if you say parking problems here just due to attitude that people don't want to correct their position, well how come they got it wrong in the first time?? To me that's also shows lack of good skill in the first place. I saw here many times: rather small cars, good space, yet takes several corrections back & forth to park properly, I was just speechless looking at that! :stupid:

In Jakarta I suppose we're more 'trained' to park at tight spaces. And because of being more crowded and tight, also we are more aware of how important it is to park properly. If you don't park properly there, there's good chance someone will vandalize your car, I also had done that a few times to some offenders. Last but maybe not least, in most places got parking attendants also who will help and make sure you will park properly but the downside is you may need to tip them.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Probably I think a bit of both, skill and attitude. Here not so crowded, parking space are a lot more and bigger, yet already countless times I see cars parking at improper angles or eating 2 spaces like nobody's business. IMHO if you really have good parking skill, most of the time you can park properly in just 1 try and no need to correct your position anymore, and that comes like almost automatic. So if you say parking problems here just due to attitude that people don't want to correct their position, well how come they got it wrong in the first time?? To me that's also shows lack of good skill in the first place. I saw here many times: rather small cars, good space, yet takes several corrections back & forth to park properly, I was just speechless looking at that! :stupid:

In Jakarta I suppose we're more 'trained' to park at tight spaces. And because of being more crowded and tight, also we are more aware of how important it is to park properly. If you don't park properly there, there's good chance someone will vandalize your car, I also had done that a few times to some offenders. Last but maybe not least, in most places got parking attendants also who will help and make sure you will park properly but the downside is you may need to tip them.
You are right about the lack of skill if they can't park properly on the first try. However, it is also due to attitude that some of these people never strive to be better and improve their parking skills. Because of the couldn't care less attitude, so why bother to improve. It is irritating that some of these cars parked wrongly or slanted to one side. Sometimes even when your own car can get into the space beside them, you are worried if the car beside you can come out from the parking without scratching your car or not.

Vandalizing other people's car also seemed to have caught up to trend lately over here. Parking attendants can still be found in Ipoh city area. Not so sure in KL.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
You are right about the lack of skill if they can't park properly on the first try. However, it is also due to attitude that some of these people never strive to be better and improve their parking skills. Because of the couldn't care less attitude, so why bother to improve. It is irritating that some of these cars parked wrongly or slanted to one side. Sometimes even when your own car can get into the space beside them, you are worried if the car beside you can come out from the parking without scratching your car or not.

Vandalizing other people's car also seemed to have caught up to trend lately over here. Parking attendants can still be found in Ipoh city area. Not so sure in KL.
Yes exactly, I also try to avoid parking next to a car that's park slanted even though I can still get into the spot next to it. Coz I know that car's driver is careless and/or poor skill.

In here got many cases of vandalizing if got blocked due to double parking which is another shitty thing widely done by Malaysian drivers! :mad:

Oh anyway OOT too much already huh! :biggrin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
cries... me always try park slanted sikit..... 6 months of car ownership.. my car got 2 door dings.. made me so rage... only comforting thing was the fact that the car's paint aint that great and will all need to be redone anyway.....
i have my checklist, in heuristically optimum order
i)parallel parking! < 11/10 the best parking spot out there, lowered door ding risk (assuming theres no special single spot parkings around)
ii)perpendicular parkings next to a pillar or open space, buntut kereta can shove right at the edge one side (what i hate is ppl that decide to then squeeze into your area after leaving them so much space...
iii)perpendicular parkings next to a wall, me no carry passengers so passanger side can be blocked.
iv)angle parking next to wall (same rule as above)
v)normal angle parkings and perpendicular (hate this)

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
cries... me always try park slanted sikit..... 6 months of car ownership.. my car got 2 door dings.. made me so rage... only comforting thing was the fact that the car's paint aint that great and will all need to be redone anyway.....
i have my checklist, in heuristically optimum order
i)parallel parking! < 11/10 the best parking spot out there, lowered door ding risk (assuming theres no special single spot parkings around)
ii)perpendicular parkings next to a pillar or open space, buntut kereta can shove right at the edge one side (what i hate is ppl that decide to then squeeze into your area after leaving them so much space...
iii)perpendicular parkings next to a wall, me no carry passengers so passanger side can be blocked.
iv)angle parking next to wall (same rule as above)
v)normal angle parkings and perpendicular (hate this)
Parallel parking has rather risk also coz many cannot do that properly! :banghead: Hence can end up hitting your car's bumper when they reverse into the spot or when they try to maneuver out. In MY, I've seen so many idiots who lack proper skill in parallel parking, end up back & forth so many times before they can really park properly or they just gave up and park slanted or not deep enough into the slot! Many of them try parallel parking by going in nose first, hence problem straightening up the position. :stupid:

Parking next to a pillar is my favorite coz I can make use of the extra space behind the pillar to maximize the clearance between my car and the next one, hence minimizing the risk of door dings and idiots who cannot park properly and hit my car (coz at least they have more space to cater for their poor skill!). In this case I purposely park very close to the pillar and a bit slanted so my rear is a bit behind the pillar but not too far so still ample space with the car on the other side of the pillar.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So, I guess in automotive colleges, they no longer teach about carb? And here I am, thinking of getting some old school cars next time to test the feeling of twin weber carb... :bawling:
Still can but have to look for oldie mechanic.....hhahhahahah

Twin weber side draft no joke. 1.8L prelude with it can drag with 2.3L 323i old model but at that time quite new loh.....hhahahhahah

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Parallel parking has rather risk also coz many cannot do that properly! :banghead: Hence can end up hitting your car's bumper when they reverse into the spot or when they try to maneuver out. In MY, I've seen so many idiots who lack proper skill in parallel parking, end up back & forth so many times before they can really park properly or they just gave up and park slanted or not deep enough into the slot! Many of them try parallel parking by going in nose first, hence problem straightening up the position. :stupid:

Parking next to a pillar is my favorite coz I can make use of the extra space behind the pillar to maximize the clearance between my car and the next one, hence minimizing the risk of door dings and idiots who cannot park properly and hit my car (coz at least they have more space to cater for their poor skill!). In this case I purposely park very close to the pillar and a bit slanted so my rear is a bit behind the pillar but not too far so still ample space with the car on the other side of the pillar.
dem... your logic about parallel parking is instilling some fear in me....

haha i can tell if someone really likes his car by this parking 'technique'. Its only those who ambik 2 parking spots who i really rage at....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yes exactly, I also try to avoid parking next to a car that's park slanted even though I can still get into the spot next to it. Coz I know that car's driver is careless and/or poor skill.

In here got many cases of vandalizing if got blocked due to double parking which is another shitty thing widely done by Malaysian drivers! :mad:

Oh anyway OOT too much already huh! :biggrin:
The vandalizing thing is indeed a bad thing especially widely circulated on social media. The more people share this kind of things out, the higher the chances of people who tries to follow, thinking that so many people had done it.

Yeah, sidetracked too far from topic.

Sad that there are numerous door dings on my car. Most of them happened during the time when my car is being used by my uncle few years ago before handing it to me. Before that, it was my mother's car. It din't bother me much because of the same reason that you said. Exterior bodywork is being plagued by rust, so paint and bodywork repair needs to be done next time.

Still can but have to look for oldie mechanic.....hhahhahahah

Twin weber side draft no joke. 1.8L prelude with it can drag with 2.3L 323i old model but at that time quite new loh.....hhahahhahah
When oldie mechanic retires, it will be a hard time to maintain these carbs anymore. But I guess it depends on location as well. In Ipoh, I think there are more carb cars going around than KL. So, knowing how to fix carb in Ipoh is probably like a requirement to be a mechanic. :biggrin:

Looking at these twin weber setups, I really wonder are they that effective until it makes ordinary engines looking like performance engines. I've seen before at YouTube, old Datsun 120Y B310 engine modded with twin carb. I think the 120Y engine probably makes less hp than 4G13 in stock form but it sounded and responded like race engine with twin carb. :adore:

A Post Every 5 Mins

Dear PPl,

Im having a big big question which i hope would reach to me back with the rightful anwser....my mechanic...has asked me to mix engine flush(Rm18) with my current used engine oil n drain them within 5 minutes after at idle speed to clean inner parts of engine....esp the valve n i think retainers(do reduce tappet sound when i cold start)....i just feel worried to do this cos when i smelled it was like petrol/thinner smell....Just damn freakin scard it might,might make my engine...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience