Megasquirt

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
excellent info there cipan_s. I've followed MS forums previously as i find the people there more technical and they enjoy sharing information. WIth regards to tuning , what is your advise? i'm familiar with afr's and knock and detonation, but what interests me more is timing. Could you perhaps give us some insight. I've got a chart which i use with my wideband for target afr's and i plug in actual afr's. Its a simple spreadsheet that i came up with and it tell's me adjustments-voltage (i use a pfc) Timing is a concern and i would like to understand more. If you're free please lets meet and i'd like to hear your take on the whole timing factor. Thanks in advance mate.

ivan78

Known Member
Mar 24, 2005
i order MS2 V3 kit from http://www.diyautotune.com/ . cost 249 USD. For the tax purpose, actually you can refuse to pay and visit the customs office at KLIA. then argue with them about private using. and pay undxr txble. cost me RM100 which is cheap. so total up plus shipping around RM12++.
its very simple, only take one night to assamble. but i regret to buy MS2 cause still not supporting waste spark. been wait for nearly 1 year. will plan to buy or down grade to MS1.

cipan_supercas

1,500 RPM
Feb 4, 2004
Shah Alam
www.draxecu.com
phat7:
Timing are dynamics. You can use your timing chart as a guide and tune from there. If you use brake dyno, then you can have a better plot for more power and conservative knock on your timings (The dyno shop usually also supply me the knock detection equipment when using their facilities). For me, I usually use the stock timings that I can read form the chips and start with that as the base (for most mitsu cars) and start from there to improve. Usually, the stock timings are pretty close and good.
AFR adjustments are pretty easy if you have the right tools.

ivan78:
Lucky you been able to argue for a lower tax but not me. I've imported several units but yet to get a lower tax for it.
Since you have bought that MS-II, then you can try their alpha software to tune you wasted spark system and ready to face any consequences of frustrations.
Bad idling is one of them, but try to overcome (yourself) or let me have a look at what you have done with your unit and try to run your car.

Here's the link:
http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/ms2extra/files/alpha/ms2extra_Sept_03_06a_alpha.zip

Downgrading to MS-I is another option and is guaranteed to work alright with wasted spark. That's whay I always recommend MS-I for wasted spark at the moment unless you're running distributor. Furthermore, MS-I is cheaper.

ecupro

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
cipan_supercas,
You quote :
" 'Extra' is just the code needed to run fuel and ignition. I run the std 4G61 twin coil packs without the ignitor and without daughter board."

Bro, What i know is, MS-I only for fueling. How do you do that for the ignition ?

and you alos mention on IGBT. Are you going to use only one channel from MS-I and with some circuitry, and fire up the IGBT ( with twin coils ) ?

Or should i call you..he...he...he

Good Luck.

cipan_supercas

1,500 RPM
Feb 4, 2004
Shah Alam
www.draxecu.com
Basically, MS-I is fuel only but 'extra' will enable it to run ignition too. You have to reprogramme the microprocessor to run the code.
You also have to mod the IGBT to enable it to run your 2, 3,4,5 or 6 twin coil packs (wasted spark system). Of course, since we are talking 4G61 here, we only need 2. These packs are indepently controlled by the processor. We can also mod it to run 'coil on plug' with individual coil to each plug.

see the link here:
http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra_Ignition_Hardware_Manual.htm#4g63

What differs from yours? Mind to share?

Last edited:

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
ivan,

i'm in penang, the delivery that comes in will be frm penang port or KLIA?

ecupro

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
cipan_supercas,
Wah, a lot of infor on site you post. Need a lot time to read and digest...

So, your one is "extra". Long time i heard on MS-I ( on web-site ), and some one have re-write the firmware and become MS-Extra and i thought its only for 36-1 tooth or 60-2 tooth....until you post "the site".

I am doing mine ( one men show ) and post on "Local ecu" thread.

And i thought waiting for Mr.Manan's ecu which is bench mark M600,Motec.

Good Luck.

ecupro

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
cipan_supercas,

The Megatune software very good.

If my "tune" software can reach that "standart", it will catch some market here...ha....ha...ha.

Good Luck.

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
hi cipan- Thanks mate. I use a basic rule of thumb which pretty much with every pound of boost i work on a spreadsheet predtermined timing range. The rotary runs both leading and trailing timing unlike pistons. I have few friends running ms on their fc's. You can refer to rx7club.com under megasquirt. It offers loads of info with regards to tuning rotary via ms and possible mods to intergrate ms fully onto rotary.

Good post cipan-s and keep up the good work with sharing your info with the forum.

ivan78

Known Member
Mar 24, 2005
cipan_supercas said:
ivan78:
Lucky you been able to argue for a lower tax but not me. I've imported several units but yet to get a lower tax for it.
Since you have bought that MS-II, then you can try their alpha software to tune you wasted spark system and ready to face any consequences of frustrations.
Bad idling is one of them, but try to overcome (yourself) or let me have a look at what you have done with your unit and try to run your car.

Here's the link:
http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/ms2extra/files/alpha/ms2extra_Sept_03_06a_alpha.zip

Downgrading to MS-I is another option and is guaranteed to work alright with wasted spark. That's whay I always recommend MS-I for wasted spark at the moment unless you're running distributor. Furthermore, MS-I is cheaper.
i don't know how to mod the V3 board to make it 2 ignition output.

cipan_supercas

1,500 RPM
Feb 4, 2004
Shah Alam
www.draxecu.com
ivan78 said:
i order MS2 V3 kit from http://www.diyautotune.com/ . cost 249 USD. .
I assume you only bought the 'basic' MS-II. In order to run wasted spark, you need a few additional items which will cost a little more.

ivan78 said:
I don't know how to mod the v3....
No problem if you're willing to give me some 'undxr txble' .... for parts and labour.

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
cipan,

currently this is the quotation from diyautotune:

MS130-K $189 Megasquirt kit with V3.0 board and natural case finish MK-VB921 $5.50 Extra VB921 mod-kit CLTIATwPiggy $16.50 Coolant temperature sensor IATwPiggy $21 IAT sensor 38NPT-Bung_S $8 Steel IAT sensor bung MapDaddy4 $60 4 bar MAP sensor

i just copied n paste, they told me the VB921 has been included with the kit, but the additional vb921 mod-kit CLTIAT with piggy (what the hell is this??) is this right? i see from the site there are many many types of IAT sensor, does this 38NPT-bung_S ok for me??

all costs USD 240 without the 4 bar map sensor. i'm now running 0.8 standard boost, not planning to go higher than 1.5 near future, so this should be ok right?

how long does it take to have you ship the whole thing over?

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Goodyear dealers nationwide have pledged to fully support the recent move the Road Safety Department, or Jabatan Keselamatan Jalan Raya (JKJR) and the Ministry of Transport to ban the selling of bald and regrooved tires in an effort to improve road safety levels in Malaysia.

According to JKJR Director General Datuk Suret Singh, regrooved tires – which are produced by carving new treads into a worn tire to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience