Matching sports spring with stock absorbers ...appreciate feedback

faruck

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2011
selangor
Nope. H&R Springs are shorter than stock so your car will be lowered. It'll probably half the lifespan of your stock absorbers.

Suggest you look up Koni + Eibach Prokit as well. Koni has a pretty interesting valve system in their shocks
better find adjustable terus if like that? :idea:

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Nope. H&R Springs are shorter than stock so your car will be lowered. It'll probably half the lifespan of your stock absorbers.

Suggest you look up Koni + Eibach Prokit as well. Koni has a pretty interesting valve system in their shocks

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that the H&R springs is lower. But how low can the car go or should the car go, before it reduces the stock absorbers lifespan exponentially?

My plan is to get the sports/lowered springs first. Then when stock absorber kaput...then only get a new shocks. So now the choice of my springs is important, as it will determine which shocks i will pair it with. H&R Springs + Bilstein B8.....or Eibach Springs + Koni STR (if it fits my car).

Thanks guys....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
better find adjustable terus if like that? :idea:
I think adjustables for Peugeots aren't cheap. Koni + Eibach or H&R + Bilsteins aren't that cheap either but cheaper than adjustables in this range.

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that the H&R springs is lower. But how low can the car go or should the car go, before it reduces the stock absorbers lifespan exponentially?
You gotta understand it's got nothing to do with "how low". A sports oriented spring compresses and rebounds much quicker than the standard spring since it is shorter. A stock absorber normally is long stroke which allows for more comfort. If you pair the two, imagine the spring rebounding/compressing fast and the absorber not completely compressing/expanding and pre-compressed height (due to height of spring). It'll probably be quite uncomfortable and it'll kill the absorbers faster.

But having said that cars like the Proton Preve uses short stroke stock absorbers and is quite comfortable. So try to find out what type of absorber is on your car and you'll be able to determine whether or not it'll work or not with sports springs.

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for the feedback. So you mean if i change to a lowered sport springs, there will not be any improvement in handling performance? Just for looks only.

And are u suggesting that my Peugeot 408T is not advisable to change to sports spring first and later only change the shocks? Better to just change both one shot?

Thank you very much guys

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Thanks for the feedback. So you mean if i change to a lowered sport springs, there will not be any improvement in handling performance? Just for looks only.

And are u suggesting that my Peugeot 408T is not advisable to change to sports spring first and later only change the shocks? Better to just change both one shot?

Thank you very much guys
Improve handling sure got but then just that you cant use stock springs with stock absorber.
You need sports absorber at least to match with sports springs if not your stock absorber lifespan will be shorten as well and sooner or later still need to change to sports absorber.

beatnik

500 RPM
Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
Hi,

My plan is to get the sports/lowered springs first. Then when stock absorber kaput...then only get a new shocks. So now the choice of my springs is important, as it will determine which shocks i will pair it with. H&R Springs + Bilstein B8.....or Eibach Springs + Koni STR (if it fits my car).

Thanks guys....
can't say for sure.. normal absorber's lifespan maybe 80k km.. so after paired with sport springs, lifespan may be shortened into half.. 40k to 60k km..

best if you can change all in one go.. the stock absorbers can keep in store or sell them off :biggrin:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Hi,

Thanks guys....
How much improvement are u looking for?

If just want slightly better improvement like;
-better turn in
-slightly reduced bodyroll
-better braking
-better high speed stability

I would suggest installing strut bar.
Front upper bar or strut bar-this will improve your front suspension. it will help improve front end grip and high speed stability. U can feel the front is a bit more firmer than usual. Plus point, its dirt cheap.

Front lower arm bar
If the upper strut bar does not satisfy u, then go for this bar. Instantly u will be surprised of how composed the car is on normal speed. On corner, the car will say to u "is that the best u can ask me to do?" Its like a magnet on the road. Front end grip is amazing. On my car, when it looses grip it do so progressively.

Rear anti roll bar-if your car does not come with it which i doubt so.

Room bar-optional.
Just in case u want a bot more high speed driving.

The cost is going to be about the same as getting sport spring for your model as parts for your car tends to be a bit pricier. Best part is that the bar are maintenance free.

All this while keeping the current ride height. However the ride will be a bit firmer. I dont think u mind that as u already searches for sport spring.

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
How much improvement are u looking for?

If just want slightly better improvement like;
-better turn in
-slightly reduced bodyroll
-better braking
-better high speed stability

I would suggest installing strut bar.
Front upper bar or strut bar-this will improve your front suspension. it will help improve front end grip and high speed stability. U can feel the front is a bit more firmer than usual. Plus point, its dirt cheap.

Front lower arm bar
If the upper strut bar does not satisfy u, then go for this bar. Instantly u will be surprised of how composed the car is on normal speed. On corner, the car will say to u "is that the best u can ask me to do?" Its like a magnet on the road. Front end grip is amazing. On my car, when it looses grip it do so progressively.

Rear anti roll bar-if your car does not come with it which i doubt so.

Room bar-optional.
Just in case u want a bot more high speed driving.

The cost is going to be about the same as getting sport spring for your model as parts for your car tends to be a bit pricier. Best part is that the bar are maintenance free.

All this while keeping the current ride height. However the ride will be a bit firmer. I dont think u mind that as u already searches for sport spring.

Wahhhhh....Thats some good info....Didnt know that strut bars can increase high speed stability and reduce body roll.....Good info....Thank you....

But then....Car lower already.....Looks more hottttt....Hahahhaha.....

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Wahhhhh....Thats some good info....Didnt know that strut bars can increase high speed stability and reduce body roll.....Good info....Thank you....

Oh yes it does.
I am not bluffing when i can cruise at 180kmh in a BLM without any unstable feeling.
Soo confident i ca hold the steering single handed and eat rambutan if its available.
Of course the car already has sport spring on together with some bars.

imho, lower car do looks great but in the long run the harder ride might annoy the owner.
Now with current ride i dont have sport spring on but just and aftermarket absorber which has a slightly harder character to it. I really dont want to loose the conti feeling.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Thank you very much guys
That's not what I said. There's nothing wrong with choosing to go with sports springs + stock absorbers. Just that it'll kill the abs faster and performance may not be up to your expectations. It may work, just a matter of how well.

I know there are lowering springs out there that are just for show. But I'm quite sure H&R and Eibach prokit are more than just show.

Erm.. I have a different take on this. The strut bars (front tower strut) will stiffen the left and right top mounts of your absorbers which in turn translate to a more positive steering feel. Rear tower strut helps flatten out the rear abs give a more positive cornering feel. It doesn't reduce body roll. You can say it increases cornering confidence and driving feel. High speed stability isn't about the bars, it's the suspension and how it handles the bumps and knocks when going at high speed.

The room bar is there for two reasons :

1. Reduce body flex and twisting when cornering
2. Make your rear passengers uncomfortable.

If you're looking to reduce body roll without touching your suspension the antiroll bars are the only ways to go. Increasing the front from 20mm to 23mm will make the front much stiffer in the corners and rear stock 16mm to 19mm already will make your car feel like it's cornering on rails (assuming you aren't using shitty tyres la). This will be your single most worthwhile handling investment. All other bars aren't as important as the ARBs. I wonder if H&R and Eibach make ARB kits for your Peugeot.

But going overly stiff in the front or the rear will change the understeer/oversteer characteristics of your car. So choose wisely when choosing stiffness. Too stiff in the front might induce too much understeer. Need to find the right balance.

Personally - I would keep stock suspension and springs and just uprate your stock antiroll bars (both front and back). If you're looking to lower the car, I would suggest getting the spring with the absorbers at the same time or change to a hi/lo/soft/hard adjustable. With stock rims and tyres, lowering the car will look weird. With the h/l/s/h, at least you can lower a little without being too low.

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for all the advise and feedbacks. Good knowledge for me.

Ok now...What brand of ARB is available for my car? Where to get it? And how much?

As for the shocks, anyone know where to get Bilstein and Koni? And how much?

Thanks alot guys

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Thanks for all the advise and feedbacks. Good knowledge for me.

Ok now...What brand of ARB is available for my car? Where to get it? And how much?

As for the shocks, anyone know where to get Bilstein and Koni? And how much?

Thanks alot guys
Ultra Racing will have it.
Dunno about other brand as not many Pug aftermarket performance part in malaysia.
Eibach also have ARB but hav to ask around for you car.

Bilstein and Koni can be considered as premium item already.
Only selected few uses it and know where to find it.
I believe only big2 reputable shop carry it or can order it for u.
I think u are looking for about RM 1k for absorber alone.

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I check UR. They have for my car. But i do not know the diameter of it. And they only have lower arm bar. No anti roll bar. Is lower arm bar and anti roll bar the same??

Thank you very much guys.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I check UR. They have for my car. But i do not know the diameter of it. And they only have lower arm bar. No anti roll bar. Is lower arm bar and anti roll bar the same??

Thank you very much guys.
After checking on the UR website i discover that they dont have rear ARB for your car.
HOwever u can call/email them and ask for custom bar which will cost higher.
Lower arm and anti roll bar are 2 different thing.

There is also no front lower arm bar.

So, u can try the front upper and rear upper.
Its cheap, if not enough the rear lower can be added but i' afraid that it might spoil the ride as your rear will be a bit stiff.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Marv3 : I see, the 408 uses a torsion beam. You won't be able to find a anti roll bar for your car since you're using a torsion beam setup, you'll need what the industry calls a "torsion beam strengthener". And when I say industry I mean Malaysia only. H&R and Eibach don't make antiroll bars for Peugeot for some reason. In fact a quick google shows that European tuners are using UltraRacing.

Anyway, personally I wouldn't spend too much on torsion beam strengtheners, they do its job, but it won't be as significant as changing suspension. I think you're better off looking for a highly tunable suspension setup (hi/lo/soft/hard) and sacrifice *some* comfort (nothing is as comfortable as stock) for major cornering ability.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The curtains may have closed on the 2010 Formula One season but more importantly, it also marked the end of Bridgestone’s participation in the top tier of motorsports as a tyre supplier, paving the way for Pirelli to take over the reigns of rubber maker for 2011.

Even after the champagne has dried up, the teams never actually left the Yas...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience