manually using the auto gear

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
these past few year got me kancil 660 (A) & kelisa (A), ? is i always use the gear like manual to speed up, is it ok @ not good idea

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
You won't hurt anything by doing that. But why not just kick down the gears using the accelerator instead of shifting gears?

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
coz i feel that it's pick-up is better than the pedal alone, why dont u give it a try & maybe i'm right @ myabe i'm wrong, i even drop my gear when cornering coz in manual book gear 3 engine breaking is around 75 km/h & i feel that i exit thr corner faster than oto alone:biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
coz i feel that it's pick-up is better than the pedal alone, why dont u give it a try & maybe i'm right @ myabe i'm wrong, i even drop my gear when cornering coz in manual book gear 3 engine breaking is around 75 km/h & i feel that i exit thr corner faster than oto alone:biggrin:
Depends, if you are traveling at 120km/h then drop to 3rd gear, which I'm not sure if it will damage the gearbox or anything but the sound of the engine and hard braking from the engine doesn't seems to feel good to me..

Depends on your speed.

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
thanx bro keep that in mind, now i'm installing tachometer to my kancil 660 (A) 1996 & don't have the manual so any idea for it's max rev for each gear & i think the previous owner has changed the engine once coz i cant get out of 110km/h range, any comments

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You won't hurt anything by doing that. But why not just kick down the gears using the accelerator instead of shifting gears?
Locking the gears have better feel.....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Yup, if taking corner using the gear lock is better....:driver:

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Depends, if you are traveling at 120km/h then drop to 3rd gear, which I'm not sure if it will damage the gearbox or anything but the sound of the engine and hard braking from the engine doesn't seems to feel good to me..

Depends on your speed.
Can if you don't over rev....

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
I would also prefer shift the gear manually, it is very hard for me to gauge how deep the pedal I need to press to effect the gearshift. Sometime I press to hard and it drops 2 gears which is very annoying.

Depends on your speed.
I think if you drop gear at high engine speed, the GMU wouldn't allow unless until the rev drops to the range suitable for the lower gear. This happened to me at least. I don't know about other car.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Oh yeah, my car has an overdrive. My mech friend said it is not advisable to off the OD too frequently because it will damage the gearbox by doing so. I scratch my head don't know want to believe or not.

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
in manual said we may start any OD level & do engine breaking that means it's ok but we just need to follow it instructions & for any reason we r not doing drifting & i've been doing it for almost 5 years now & the only major problem that i have is my air-cond (my bad coz never got it serviced :banghead: ) & i did some diy earthing that got my ecu cable snapped:banghead:
anyway guys thanx for the info

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Locking the gears have better feel.....:biggrin:

Yup, if taking corner using the gear lock is better....:driver:

Can if you don't over rev....

Oh, how only consider not over rev bro?

I would also prefer shift the gear manually, it is very hard for me to gauge how deep the pedal I need to press to effect the gearshift. Sometime I press to hard and it drops 2 gears which is very annoying.

I think if you drop gear at high engine speed, the GMU wouldn't allow unless until the rev drops to the range suitable for the lower gear. This happened to me at least. I don't know about other car.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Oh yeah, my car has an overdrive. My mech friend said it is not advisable to off the OD too frequently because it will damage the gearbox by doing so. I scratch my head don't know want to believe or not.
Not sure, mine I tried once, dropping gears just in order to rev more then, the car sounded real loud and engine braking can feel quite strong :rofl:

After that day, I dare not do that anymore :rofl:

I guess if okay if our leg is not on the pedal? :rofl:

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur

Not sure, mine I tried once, dropping gears just in order to rev more then, the car sounded real loud and engine braking can feel quite strong :rofl:

Over rev should mean out of the range i.e. redline.

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point

well i think you read the manual 1 more time & try @ lower speed range from the manual if u r still interested in doing so:idea:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The only risk to doing this (manual shifting of gears) is it'll cook your gearbox very fast, meaning it'll get hot fast if you maintain high rev in the lower gears. I cooked my 3-speeder last time when was driving down Genting fast on gear "2" all the way. Engine braking was easier and accelerating out of the corner was easier too. But once I reached the highway and shifted to "D" it wouldn't go into gear.

I had to stop and let the car cool down and then drive normally after that. After I experienced that I installed an ATF cooler and started using better gear oil and no more issues after that.

Just make sure you change the oil frequently if you're constantly high revving with the lower gears.

That loud engine braking noise is normal la. Besides, all cars except carburators have rev limiters. Engine braking and all isn't going to break anything unless you got crappy oil in the first place la. Then you'll probably have much higher wear inside the GB and that's not a good thing.

Oh btw, I've never tried 120km/h suddenly shifting down to gear 2. I don't see why you would need to do that!

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Well explained Izso, I guess overheat is the main concern.

I did try dropping gear @180, the TCU wouldn't allow.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
well i think you read the manual 1 more time & try @ lower speed range from the manual if u r still interested in doing so:idea:
I do that often when I'm driving Saga :biggrin: and yes at lower speed but also you need to know
when to drop it. Not at anytime it will have the pull. Just got to know when to do so. :smile:

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

The only risk to doing this (manual shifting of gears) is it'll cook your gearbox very fast, meaning it'll get hot fast if you maintain high rev in the lower gears. I cooked my 3-speeder last time when was driving down Genting fast on gear "2" all the way. Engine braking was easier and accelerating out of the corner was easier too. But once I reached the highway and shifted to "D" it wouldn't go into gear.

I had to stop and let the car cool down and then drive normally after that. After I experienced that I installed an ATF cooler and started using better gear oil and no more issues after that.

Just make sure you change the oil frequently if you're constantly high revving with the lower gears.

That loud engine braking noise is normal la. Besides, all cars except carburators have rev limiters. Engine braking and all isn't going to break anything unless you got crappy oil in the first place la. Then you'll probably have much higher wear inside the GB and that's not a good thing.

Oh btw, I've never tried 120km/h suddenly shifting down to gear 2. I don't see why you would need to do that!
No no, wont do that, mine I shifted to 3rd gear :rofl:
Just for a try at that time :rofl:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Like what bro. YYC mention redline on tachometer....
But 120kmh should be around 3krpm, drop to 3rd gear maybe 4k plus to 5k rpm so should be still within the redline limit

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Coming down genting, if not on low gear you cook the brakes will be worse.....:banghead:

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Well explained Izso, I guess overheat is the main concern.

I did try dropping gear @180, the TCU wouldn't allow.
180 drop gear should be over redline.....

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Anyway, nowadays most auto have paddle shift, steptronic, DSG, DCT and so on......:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

guys i'm sorry for the language..i guess this is what happens when ur car gets broken into....everything gone...i drive a kelisa man...but i have a whole good set of ice...for me 2 listen..why steal?? fuckers...i'm so stress...they broke two of my front windows and took evetrything away...alpine 7998r,prokick mono block,6 channne infinity reference amp, box with kicker cvr woofer...and my spkr...my smart tag..son of a bitch,,,i will get u..pls keep an eye...if u see this stuff pls call...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience