LSD

SiGNAL

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Ya Mum's House
Visit site
minicooper,

if got LSD, then both wheels rotate same direction, if no LSD, the other wheel will NOT rotate at all.

simonchangwaimum,

long story short, LSD locks the wheels 2gether so that more traction can be transfered to the ground. good for cornering and also dragging.

KillerB,

what I've read before about full lock LSD is that actually it does not really FULL LOCK. it will still unlock under certain conditions, that is why they called it limited SLIP differential... it will slip and not full lock.

my 2 cents of worthless knowledge and pls correct me if i'm wrong :lol:

egnck

Mar 29, 2004
Anybody know where to get a second hand semi LSD????

S_04

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by eater_eg6@Jun 24 2004, 02:24 PM
then ??? how can u know its LSD inside the gearbox or not ??
try to jack up ur car then spin the wheel if the both wheel turns means is LSD

S_04

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
always remember if ur car got LSD pls don do wheel balancing on the car pls remove and use machice..or will spoil ur LSD

S_04

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by eater_eg6@Jun 25 2004, 03:35 PM
killerB ,
thanx for ur explain ya.. :)

for those want to get the full lock diff... can try to do in the cheapest way.... go n welding ... :P
rite welding like those evo engine that put on wira thay also weld the 4wd gear inside to stop the 4wd...

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by S_04@Jun 25 2004, 10:22 AM
always remember if ur car got LSD pls don do wheel balancing on the car pls remove and use machice..or will spoil ur LSD
so4,
u mean lsd equipped gb shd avoid on-wheel balancing? serious?

cheers!

SiAu KiA

Apr 1, 2004
Originally posted by eater_eg6@Jun 24 2004, 04:51 PM
mean the other side tyre also turn in the same direction of diffrent direction ???
both wheel have to turn in same direction when you lift up the car. if they go in oposite direction,it means you are not running with LSD. also you need to use LSD oils in order to active it or may damage the plates

BlackHD

Known Member
Jan 29, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by SiGNAL@Jun 24 2004, 08:22 PM

what I've read before about full lock LSD is that actually it does not really FULL LOCK. it will still unlock under certain conditions, that is why they called it limited SLIP differential... it will slip and not full lock.
ya, that's why it produce the cracking sound that jerks the entire engine... sucks

KillerB

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
Originally posted by 399@Jun 24 2004, 08:03 PM
killerb,
is it true that full lock lsd isn't suitable for fwd?

cheers!
I've driven a car with full lsd before, and it's really to my liking. Unfortunately my current car does not have full lsd, and if there's an opportunity, i'll get trade a full lock one with my type r. The selection of these parts is dependant on the drivers' preference. Some drivers may not prefer the clanking sound while driving it, while others like me, ignores the sound cuz i prefer the driving characteristics, and the satisfaction it gives me. Something like opportunity cost. I think i've read the same article about the non existence of a "full lock" lsd. Some call this 2 way lsd, i.e. works when accelerating and decelerating.

Guys, please read my post on how to identify between lsd n non lsd, EG lsd, full lock lsd and type r lsd. That's a 99% sure way (look thru the gearbox). And once you've identified what lsd you're running, test it (at a safe area, or the race tracks) and enjoy it, or feel the difference.

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
killer,
thanks! btw what's the characteristic of a 2 way lsd as compare to 1 way? i mean for a fwd, is it more prone to understeer?

cheers!

KillerB

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
Originally posted by 399@Jun 29 2004, 07:17 PM
killer,
thanks! btw what's the characteristic of a 2 way lsd as compare to 1 way? i mean for a fwd, is it more prone to understeer?

cheers!
For a 2 way lsd, understeer or not, depends on your control of the throttle. When u accelerate in the middle of a corner, u'll get immediate oversteer. Vice versa when u lift off the throttle in a corner. That's the nature of a 2 way lsd. So the best thing is maintain throttle position in mid corner, look ahead, then full throttle as you're coming out of the corner (find the point of the corner where u can get optimum acceleration vs. traction at corner exit), you'll be able to pull about half a car length over an evo engined satria ;) But all in all, a 2 way lsd will be able to give u the traction u require at corner accelerations.

Sky88

Known Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by KillerB@Jun 24 2004, 17:38
A car without LSD has a non LSD "differential" inside your gearbox. When u found an lsd that is suitable for your gearbox, u simply replace the original differential with the lsd (limited slip differential). No mods required and u can't mod an lsd to suit gearboxes.

eater,
b16a original lsd, when u jack up the car and turn one side of the wheel, the other side will turn in the same direction. For type r original lsd, when u turn one side, the other side will not turn. It uses a different system. One sure way to know whether u hv lsd or not, take out wheels and drive shafts, and try to look through the gear box from side ways. If you can see through the drive shaft, u've got lsd. If not, u ain't got lsd. I'm now running on type r lsd. It doesn't have the full lock features found in a full lock lsd. My driving impression : it works while launching the car, and helps slightly on corners. I've tried a full lock lsd before, and it's totally different from the std b16a or type r lsd's. Cut the long story short; good. But gotta live with the clanking sound at junction type of corners.
sorry to bring this up just want to make sure wheter the type r when u turn one side the other side wouldnt turn?

Jasper

500 RPM
Nov 20, 2003
www.skype.com
Full lock nice for pek here and there but if you say normal driving leh headache man ... llike me .. hehhe Killerbee wei like this you want to trade ah :P