Kia Picanto 1.1 power upgrade

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Hi all bros, i would want to explore further into this area with this car.. how far can this car perform.. can you guys give any opinion on how to further more boost this car's capability? So far i've done some modifications to it, but is seems not enough yet.. anyone can give idea what to do with it? (but dun tell me to change car la hehe..) BOT? Change engine? NA with displacement upgrade? Can give me opinions and discuss here.. thanks.. :adore:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
since picanto lack of go faster hardware....i guess if u were going N/A route...everything have to be custom order...especially camshaft...need to send at matspeed (or similiar machine shop who customize camshaft)

or the easier way just BOT.... :adore:

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
since picanto lack of go faster hardware....i guess if u were going N/A route...everything have to be custom order...especially camshaft...need to send at matspeed (or similiar machine shop who customize camshaft)

or the easier way just BOT.... :adore:
But BOT also need to have many items customized.. like the turbo manifold, i think extra injectors might be needed? but what size of turbo if recommended? I have a TD04 twin fin lying inside store room but my mechanic says it's too big.. how about the pistons? using what type of pistons instead? because original is NA piston..

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
But BOT also need to have many items customized.. like the turbo manifold, i think extra injectors might be needed? but what size of turbo if recommended? I have a TD04 twin fin lying inside store room but my mechanic says it's too big.. how about the pistons? using what type of pistons instead? because original is NA piston..
well atleast the power gain and drivability was worth the money...instead of high revving n/a engine which is not really good on street driving....(also custom cam etc etc not really worth the money spent over the power gain)

probably the best for you to use turbin from L5 or IHI rvf from subaru legacy

no need change piston or any internal part of the engine...but just have to stick with boost 0.4bar maximum...(don't go beyond)

if using L5 turbo (IHI RHB31) i think better..quick spool,got internal wastegate..so no need buy external wastegate that was expensive....can save for piggyback engine management....i think no need extra injector....just need adjustable fuel regulator and tune the piggyback to compensate....

intercooler also no need big one..just use L5 stock intercooler also can....so left with BOV,piping and exhaust turbo manifold to buy/custom....the rest can get at halfcut shop which is cheap.... :adore:

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
well atleast the power gain and drivability was worth the money...instead of high revving n/a engine which is not really good on street driving....(also custom cam etc etc not really worth the money spent over the power gain)

probably the best for you to use turbin from L5 or IHI rvf from subaru legacy

no need change piston or any internal part of the engine...but just have to stick with boost 0.4bar maximum...(don't go beyond)

if using L5 turbo (IHI RHB31) i think better..quick spool,got internal wastegate..so no need buy external wastegate that was expensive....can save for piggyback engine management....i think no need extra injector....just need adjustable fuel regulator and tune the piggyback to compensate....

intercooler also no need big one..just use L5 stock intercooler also can....so left with BOV,piping and exhaust turbo manifold to buy/custom....the rest can get at halfcut shop which is cheap.... :adore:
Wah good suggestion.. piggyback i have already at the moment..it's unichip.. intercooler do you think the original gsr intercooler can be used? and original kancil BOV also.. den just left piping.. but boost only 0.4bar ah... hmm.. if up to 0.8bar dunno can or not? by the way if do cam profiling at matspeed how much would it cost?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Wah good suggestion.. piggyback i have already at the moment..it's unichip.. intercooler do you think the original gsr intercooler can be used? and original kancil BOV also.. den just left piping.. but boost only 0.4bar ah... hmm.. if up to 0.8bar dunno can or not? by the way if do cam profiling at matspeed how much would it cost?

the big RS model or the small one which hidden at the bumper corner?

if small one is ok and good enough.....but if the big one RS model i think its a bit overkill..... :adore:

regarding the boost level... 0.4bar is my guestimate only...if your tuner confident with boosting 0.8bar then why not?..i'm just afraid the engine internal cannot withstand the boost level and extra stress....

cam profilling at matspeed for common proton/mitsubishi cam already fetching more than rm1k....that was for known ready product...so if for picanto it could be well approaching rm2k.. :adore:

btw..i was sharing my opinion and my little experience....perhaps others can suggest u a better option...

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
the big RS model or the small one which hidden at the bumper corner?

if small one is ok and good enough.....but if the big one RS model i think its a bit overkill..... :adore:

regarding the boost level... 0.4bar is my guestimate only...if your tuner confident with boosting 0.8bar then why not?..i'm just afraid the engine internal cannot withstand the boost level and extra stress....

cam profilling at matspeed for common proton/mitsubishi cam already fetching more than rm1k....that was for known ready product...so if for picanto it could be well approaching rm2k.. :adore:

btw..i was sharing my opinion and my little experience....perhaps others can suggest u a better option...
The intercooler i had was the small one hidden at the corner bumper.. wow 2k.. i previously did asked the australian about profiling also.. cost about USD$1k from Brian Crower.. crazy.. haha.. i also worry the internal cannot tahan.. i'm thinking of changing piston instead.. i saw online there are picanto turbocharged original from factory.. it's picanto CRDi.. turbo diesel, dunno can use it's parts or not.. any other sifu can help to comment? :adore:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
The intercooler i had was the small one hidden at the corner bumper.. wow 2k.. i previously did asked the australian about profiling also.. cost about USD$1k from Brian Crower.. crazy.. haha.. i also worry the internal cannot tahan.. i'm thinking of changing piston instead.. i saw online there are picanto turbocharged original from factory.. it's picanto CRDi.. turbo diesel, dunno can use it's parts or not.. any other sifu can help to comment? :adore:

about piston maybe later on when your mechanic open up the engine then can inspect the piston pin size and dimension for them to recommend a better replacement....

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
about piston maybe later on when your mechanic open up the engine then can inspect the piston pin size and dimension for them to recommend a better replacement....
Hmm ya..

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
That case the list for BOT should be:.

1) L500/RHF turbo = price?
2) GSR intercooler = i have
3) Original BOV from L2s = i have
4) Cooler piping = price range?
5) Extra injectors? = price and model?
6) Turbo manifold = price range?
7) Piggyback = i have
8) Boost meter = need to buy

Can anyone help to put down the price? At least i can budget budget first.. ask mechanic sure kasi price high.. haha.. anymore need to add into the list? Sifus pls help.. :adore::adore:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
That case the list for BOT should be:.

1) L500/RHF turbo = rm350-rm450
2) GSR intercooler = i have
3) Original BOV from L2s = i have
4) Cooler piping = *maybe anything from rm300 al the way up to 1k if using stainless steel or silicon joint etc etc (could also made from normal pipe same like exhaust pipe)
5) Extra injectors? = maybe 200cc size...no need this if the stock injector duty cycle still can cope with the extra "work they need to do"
6) Turbo manifold = for custom expect the range about rm800 and above (perhaps rm2k is the upper limit depends on the material,bending for banana type or welding type)
7) Piggyback = i have
8) Boost meter = rm150 for cheapo mechanical type..and rm250 above for branded one or better electronic type..

Can anyone help to put down the price? At least i can budget budget first.. ask mechanic sure kasi price high.. haha.. anymore need to add into the list? Sifus pls help.. :adore::adore:

added the price :adore:

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
added the price :adore:
Thanks bro.. so i guess the banana manifold should be the most costly item.. hmm.. regarding the intercooler piping, some say that if using those GI metal type is not so good as the internal may create rust after sometime and then your engine is eating pure rust... but i ever seen that on turbo car la.. so correct me if i'm wrong.. i think i also need to change to metal head gasket?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Thanks bro.. so i guess the banana manifold should be the most costly item.. hmm.. regarding the intercooler piping, some say that if using those GI metal type is not so good as the internal may create rust after sometime and then your engine is eating pure rust... but i ever seen that on turbo car la.. so correct me if i'm wrong.. i think i also need to change to metal head gasket?
yep...so it is better do the best piping u can get right at the first time...

metal gasket no need if boosting at 0.4bar i think....what was the engine comp. ratio??

but thats the limit la....if wanna go higher like 0.8bar then surely metal gasket needed...

even i've heard some ppl put 2layer of head gasket to lower comp. ratio since cannot get metal gasket for their engine....but i doubt this method can withstand the pressure....

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
yep...so it is better do the best piping u can get right at the first time...

metal gasket no need if boosting at 0.4bar i think....what was the engine comp. ratio??

but thats the limit la....if wanna go higher like 0.8bar then surely metal gasket needed...

even i've heard some ppl put 2layer of head gasket to lower comp. ratio since cannot get metal gasket for their engine....but i doubt this method can withstand the pressure....
Hmm, i think put 2 layer maybe will have leak? i think better opt for metal gasket.. i heard from my fren, metal gasket can be customize.. by using laser cut..

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
I'm thinking what if i go NA? What should i look at? Bore? Change bigger piston? Can change the bottom block to 1.3L ka? Anyone can recommend as after CNY i'll start this project first.. :adore:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

This is my friend's car. Stolen outside the house at Klang. Fully stock, no modifications. Any info please tell... :(
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience