Interior car stench

P.I.M.P

P.I.M.P

Oct 23, 2008
Hi guys,

Wonder if this was ever brought up. Anyways, I'll just ask.

Sometime when u enter other ppl's car, you'll notice a different stench/smell in every car. Like socks smell, coke smell, shoe smell, char kuey teow smell etc.

Is there anyway to eliminate the odor/stench/smell without having to pay a lot of money? I put charcoal in my car, but doesn't really seem to work well. Does putting those humidifier eliminates the problem?

Appreciate your advise

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
pandan leaves.....but it is a bit sissy...
glade car perfumes....really works well
and at weekend, open up yr car doors and let the sun do the working....under hot sun, all those humid stuff will dry off......

and do check if yr car got any leaks...sometimes water underneath the carpet will cause stench.

P.I.M.P

P.I.M.P

Oct 23, 2008
pandan leaves.....but it is a bit sissy...
glade car perfumes....really works well
and at weekend, open up yr car doors and let the sun do the working....under hot sun, all those humid stuff will dry off......

and do check if yr car got any leaks...sometimes water underneath the carpet will cause stench.
i dun wanna use those glad car perfumes, if put those perfume under the hot sun, smells weird.

yeah the pandan leaves works, tried with my dad's car...i just put charcoal in the car...this wkend gonna open up my car door & leave it under the sun...jemur abit...

kenzo

6,000 RPM

kenzo

6,000 RPM
glade perfume is really2 good, if can, park under the hot sun, cover anything that cant take direct sunlight and let it be there, make sure u open up all the doors, and make sure its at ur watch also, like at home or something, natural was is always the best, or buy this can spray, forgot wat brand, it kills bacterias....

AD_EG

6,000 RPM

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
charcoal works , coffee beans too...

if its the moist smell that you have please check for leaks...it might occur again...and you might develop mold which is a health hazard

mokomoko

500 RPM

mokomoko

500 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
Charcoal.

Works in refrigerator, works in cars too!

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
if not contributing pls don make fun of ppl when we are offering to help.

P.I.M.P

P.I.M.P

Oct 23, 2008
ok here's actually what happened...2 days ago my mum tapau a packet of frien prawns & left it in the car...then i went to work as usualy for 2 days...i parked in basement parking, lucky not under the sun...

then yesterday, my friend said my car smell like crap...but then of cos i don't smell it cos i'm in my car all the time...so i tot maybe its some other smell...then i went n look around & saw this plastic bag with friend prawns inside...PRETTY MUCH ROTTING!!!!...like jelly already, soft soft...oh man, the smell is horrible!! horribel...so i guess that's where the stench/smell came from ler...

hope to get rid of this this weekend...gonna spring clean my car kau kau...

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
wah....like that also can, better expose yr car to hot sun...to clear all the rotten smell....

freeman1314

Known Member

freeman1314

Known Member
Oct 7, 2008
I've seen some people selling a kind of mat which claims to be able to eliminate odor using nano technology.
Juz put it in your dashboard and park you car under hot sun, the sun will activate or start the nano thingy working and eliminate bad odor in the car. Not sure of the effectiveness though but seen a few testimonial which claims it work.

mizunori77

1,000 RPM

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
imho, the bacteria 'eating' away at the fried prawns is giving out the stinking smell.

assuming the fried prawns are left on your seat, you clean your seat thoroughly and leave your seat under the hot sun. if your seat is hard to remove, just clean it and then roll down the windows and leave your car under the hot sun on the weekends.

remember to use cleaners that can kill bacteria or else the smell will linger. by the way, sometimes the smell 'stays' in your car because of the air cond. if you put your aircond to the 'circulate air in the car', the smell can get trapped in your aircond. after you have left your car under the hot sun, maybe you can go for a drive with your windows down, put your aircond to allow air to come in from outside. this should help to clear the smell from your aircond also.

p/s - a good way to avoid 'forgotten' food is to buy those cheap hangers to hang on the head rest of the 2 front seats. this way you will always hang it there and you can see it. leaving the food on the seat can spoil your seat because of the heat (especially leather) and you also scared it will spill on your seat while driving.

hope this helps :wavey:

P.I.M.P

P.I.M.P

Oct 23, 2008
I've seen some people selling a kind of mat which claims to be able to eliminate odor using nano technology.
Juz put it in your dashboard and park you car under hot sun, the sun will activate or start the nano thingy working and eliminate bad odor in the car. Not sure of the effectiveness though but seen a few testimonial which claims it work.
Where can I find the nano mat? How bout ionizer? Does it work to eliminate odor?

wah....like that also can, better expose yr car to hot sun...to clear all the rotten smell....
Yeah will do it this weekend

imho, the bacteria 'eating' away at the fried prawns is giving out the stinking smell.

assuming the fried prawns are left on your seat, you clean your seat thoroughly and leave your seat under the hot sun. if your seat is hard to remove, just clean it and then roll down the windows and leave your car under the hot sun on the weekends.

remember to use cleaners that can kill bacteria or else the smell will linger. by the way, sometimes the smell 'stays' in your car because of the air cond. if you put your aircond to the 'circulate air in the car', the smell can get trapped in your aircond. after you have left your car under the hot sun, maybe you can go for a drive with your windows down, put your aircond to allow air to come in from outside. this should help to clear the smell from your aircond also.

p/s - a good way to avoid 'forgotten' food is to buy those cheap hangers to hang on the head rest of the 2 front seats. this way you will always hang it there and you can see it. leaving the food on the seat can spoil your seat because of the heat (especially leather) and you also scared it will spill on your seat while driving.

hope this helps :wavey:
Thanks for the info. I got the hooks on the headrest. Just that my mum nvr hook it up. Oh forgot to mention, the fried prawns is in a plactic bag. Nvr kena my seat..LUCKY!!!:driver:

beside pandan leaf...u can try to put the nano blok pad...
Where to buy?

zac

1,000 RPM

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
Bro, try nanomist from CAR INTERNATIONAL, they use steam to eliminate bacteria and smell, my car always smell like hospital after gone through this treatment...

Cheaper way, keep used tea pack/tea leaves and put it in car, it works too... (best for socks smell) :biggrin:

Saw some advertisement abt ionizer device put in car range from 99-699, the test itself showed it can really sterilise car interior, but i never use one b4, dare not recommend...

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
I use Thirsty Hippo...It absorbs all the moisture from the car if got water smell.

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
there's 1 method in some big car wash centres, they will powder ur whole car (inside) with smoke (what kinda smoke i dunno laa) but it is very thick (i mean the smoke)..

i ask the car wash fella, he says its for ur interior car busuk, for ppl who vomitted inside, or if there's dead cat inside...he says RM 25 for the whole car..

BLANk

1,500 RPM

BLANk

1,500 RPM
Dec 28, 2007
Sardine
www.zerotohundred.com
P.I.M.P:sorry bro...im doesn't knw where to buy it...i get it frm my club group purchase last time...

TitanRev:later wanna go and buy some Thirsty Hippo too...my car need it vry much...especially after rain...

fstrader:unker...its hot steam...^^

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
P.I.M.P:sorry bro...im doesn't knw where to buy it...i get it frm my club group purchase last time...

TitanRev:later wanna go and buy some Thirsty Hippo too...my car need it vry much...especially after rain...

fstrader:unker...its hot steam...^^
yes kah??

work or not ah?? :smokin:

P.I.M.P

P.I.M.P

Oct 23, 2008
but thirsty hippo is to absord moisture right...not to eliminate the odor or bau busuk...last time my mum put brinjal cut into half n put in the car...it works

BLANk

1,500 RPM

BLANk

1,500 RPM
Dec 28, 2007
Sardine
www.zerotohundred.com
fstrader:work kot...didn't try before yet...but it seems work for me...hehe...

P.I.M.P:wow...brinjal can eliminate odor?bro...do u try to put some charcoal?

P.I.M.P

P.I.M.P

Oct 23, 2008
fstrader:work kot...didn't try before yet...but it seems work for me...hehe...

P.I.M.P:wow...brinjal can eliminate odor?bro...do u try to put some charcoal?
yeah brinal can...charcoal also can...tried d

LuKa

500 RPM

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
The right way is.. practice perfect hygene... no eating in car.. never wear sweating n dirty clthes in car.. dont carry anything that have smells.. if must put in the trunk.. the easiest way... is rewrap the seats to those leather type.. and easy to wash with damp cloth... fabric will mostlikely store bacteria n creates odors... AND install an ionizer..

mokomoko

500 RPM

mokomoko

500 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
just throw some charcoal blocks into your car for a few days, it will absorb stenches and moisture.

E-Tech

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Rotting smell is difficult to get rid off.
Plus rotting udang, the more susah.
You like durian or not?- YES---> put durians to mask the rotting smell.
NO----> Need to clean up items that can absord the stink... cushion,
carpets, head board --- as long as cloth based it will keep
the ROTTING smell. Best is go do the STEAM thing first...
Then report back..

Thought he asked... Buy from where? (Your mun buy the fried prawn mah, where i know...:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Where can I find the nano mat? How bout ionizer? Does it work to eliminate odor?

Yeah will do it this weekend

Thanks for the info. I got the hooks on the headrest. Just that my mum nvr hook it up. Oh forgot to mention, the fried prawns is in a plactic bag. Nvr kena my seat..LUCKY!!!:driver:

Where to buy?
ASK you mum (she buy the prawn wan mah, how I know...)

Rendezvous

Rendezvous

Nov 17, 2009
Petaling Jaya
www.markleo.net
Bro, try nanomist from CAR INTERNATIONAL, they use steam to eliminate bacteria and smell, my car always smell like hospital after gone through this treatment...

Cheaper way, keep used tea pack/tea leaves and put it in car, it works too... (best for socks smell) :biggrin:

Saw some advertisement abt ionizer device put in car range from 99-699, the test itself showed it can really sterilise car interior, but i never use one b4, dare not recommend...
I totally agree that if you use Nanomist from CAR INTERNATIONAL, it will help eliminate the smell and the cost is quite low (members = RM24.80 for both car wash and nanomist).

Recently I bought a used car and it had a bad smell in it, so I sent it to CAR and did the NANOmist treatment. Smells soooo much better after it. It really gotten rid of those old smoke and stinking socks smell.

bubbalim21

bubbalim21

Sep 28, 2009
Penang
pandan leaves? tried orange peel once. not very effective though. send car to professionals like autoglym once a year or two. costly but effective....once i had an elderly passenger who just couldn't hold it & let go in her pants....& eventually seeped into my back seat. man, after dropping her home, it was straight to the professional cleaners. can't blame her though. she's sick & very old.

Shanashi

500 RPM

Shanashi

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
pandan leaves? tried orange peel once. not very effective though. send car to professionals like autoglym once a year or two. costly but effective....once i had an elderly passenger who just couldn't hold it & let go in her pants....& eventually seeped into my back seat. man, after dropping her home, it was straight to the professional cleaners. can't blame her though. she's sick & very old.

pandan leaves works as well for my mom's car but u know what really did the trick?

changing the air con filter.....u should try it if ur car has one most prob its clogged n dirty throughout d years....

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
i tapau a pack of charcoal in my car, when i park for long hours, just open the cap...when driving, just close it for later... xD...i use those tau foo fa tupperware

mokomoko

500 RPM

mokomoko

500 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
or you could buy a big bag of charcoal for 5 bucks and shove thoe whole thing in your back seat to increase the absorption rate.

kazukimy

500 RPM

kazukimy

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2006
KL/Pahang
devil-home.blogspot.com
find 1 sunday or saturday morning when u r free and nt rainining,vacuum inside clean all,spray the conditioner on the dashboard wipe it,wipe the seat(if u r having leather seat)..actually juz clean the interior lar....den clean the outside of the car,engine bay so as the bonnet area,and remember to wipe the rubber sealer....and let it jemur...hehe..works well wif my car..as previous owner put pandan in the car,when i bought it got strange smell,i tot i clean it ady...in the end,found some hidden under my car seat,after get rid of the pandan leave,my car smell like new car smell..at least wat all my frens said when they sit in my car..wakaka..and my car is 20years old...wakaka:biggrin: