Incorrect Speedometer Readings

ruckboyz_85

Known Member
Apr 3, 2009
Its happen to me also..when i calibrate my speedometer with honda SR3, it seem my car speed is 10kmh much faster..im using RVR manual 4wd gearbox with satria 1.6 speedometer...i try find for the solution at internet and find it at this forum..Expo trans? New source? Update: It fits. | Galant VR-4 > How To and Info Archive | GalantVR-4.org Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Forum ..u need to count the drive gear teeth first..VR4, gsr and evo tranny should not give problem on speed reading..u also can check the code of your gearbox.. http://www.lancerregister.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=117701&stc=1&d=1222869000 mayb your gearbox isnt from VR4 tranny..RVR gearbox code is W5M332MXXX or W5M332UMXX..i just change the speedometer drive gear from proton gearbox..the problems solve..just D.I.Y..very easy...hope can help you..just for sharing..happy motoring :driver:

Last edited:

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Its happen to me also..when i calibrate my speedometer with honda SR3, it seem my car speed is 10kmh much faster..im using RVR manual 4wd gearbox with satria 1.6 speedometer...i try find for the solution at internet and find it at this forum..Expo trans? New source? Update: It fits. | Galant VR-4 > How To and Info Archive | GalantVR-4.org Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Forum ..u need to count the drive gear teeth first..VR4, gsr and evo tranny should not give problem on speed reading..u also can check the code of your gearbox.. http://www.lancerregister.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=117701&stc=1&d=1222869000 mayb your gearbox isnt from VR4 tranny..RVR gearbox code is W5M332MXXX or W5M332UMXX..i just change the speedometer drive gear from proton gearbox..the problems solve..just D.I.Y..very easy...hope can help you..just for sharing..happy motoring :driver:
Thanks for the link, anyway what you mean is the speedo I'm using is a proton but because the speedo linkage from the g/b is from mitsu it's a mismatch?

ruckboyz_85

Known Member
Apr 3, 2009
i'm suspecting the teeth of the speedometer drive gear (if your current teeth is below 29) is not match with the proton speedometer..the speedometer works by counting on the revolution of the speedometer drive gear..smaller gear revolve much faster compare to bigger gear..if i'm no mistaken standard proton speedometer drive gear is 31 teeth..before that, please check ur speedometer cable and speedometer panel condition first..

Last edited:

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
i'm suspecting the teeth of the speedometer drive gear (if your current teeth is below 29) is not match with the proton speedometer..the speedometer works by counting on the revolution of the speedometer drive gear..smaller gear revolve much faster compare to bigger gear..if i'm no mistaken standard proton speedometer drive gear is 31 teeth..hope u can understand
Alright I got it thanks. Do you have a workshop in KL that you can recommend? I'm in Penang but i prefer if i can do it in KL. Thanks.

ruckboyz_85

Known Member
Apr 3, 2009
D.I.Y...Do it yourself...very easy...what im telling u just my past experience..hope can solve ur problem too..:biggrin:

EGNINE

500 RPM
Jan 8, 2006
Will most mech be able to do it? Expensive?
of coz most pomen can do ..bcoz its only simple maintenance work..my cable putus that time then change to new one...i notice my speedo give me wrong info when i drive from kl to penang..usually i'll do 2hr 30 min at 160kmh..then suddenly 2hr kl-pg also at 160kmh..so i'm guessing the actual speed was 180kmh or maybe more..

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Ok I'm not a fan of DIY but will scout around. KL-Pg 2 hours? toll to toll? yup should be about 170-180

silver_le

Apr 20, 2005
the teeth you mean is it at the gearbox??? if i'm using auto meter from 4g91 with manual gearbox from 4g92 will this also effect the reading

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

What is TiTAN custom build performance shock absorber?
TiTAN's are proudly 100% Malaysian designed and built custom build performance shock absorber. Designed as the ultimate custom build shock absorber set for Malaysian roads and drivers! TiTAN's been around for 5 years.
TiTAN is an inverted monotube design, ala WRC/Rally cars style for maximum strength AND durablity for Malaysian roads.

What is a monotube?
a monotube is a single tube where all the damper oil...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience