how to verify L5 3 cylinder twincam and L5 4 cylinder?

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
EF-RL (L5 3cyl) turbo (borrowed pic)

JB-JL (L5 4cyl) turbo) (my car's pic)

One thing to be sure... the top mount intercooler for L5 4cyl is mounted near the battery

L5 3cyl head look almost the same as kelisa's head

viper5965

Known Member
Oct 6, 2007
sorry i`m nobe for mira engine..:adore:
wat i ever saw before it`s not L5 with 3 cyl twin cam.that is L6 come with body Move..
L5 is 4 cyl twin cam,L6 is 3 cyl twin cam..appologize me if got wrong.:adore:

Qft

Jan 20, 2010
kuantan
owh.. ic tq for the info papagoines. btw here is a pic of my engine. so mine is 3cylinder. correct me if im wrong, but it jz like L2 engine. 3cylinder, t.belt. not like L5 4cylinder which usng t.chain.

Attachments

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
sorry i`m nobe for mira engine..:adore:
wat i ever saw before it`s not L5 with 3 cyl twin cam.that is L6 come with body Move..
L5 is 4 cyl twin cam,L6 is 3 cyl twin cam..appologize me if got wrong.:adore:
Both Mira L5 & L6 uses same engine from 3cyl EF series to 4cyl JB series.... you can refer here
Mira L5 chassis & engine code
Mira L6 chassis & engine code

owh.. ic tq for the info papagoines. btw here is a pic of my engine. so mine is 3cylinder. correct me if im wrong, but it jz like L2 engine. 3cylinder, t.belt. not like L5 4cylinder which usng t.chain.
from the looks of it, you already got front mount intercooler!

Yes, its like a transition period when Daihatsu tried to modernise their engine design..

FYI, JB series engines (4cyl) are considered over-engineered by some since it's design are more suited for race/rally purpose... correct me if I'm wrong, JB series kinda like sibling to Toyota 3S series (3S-GE & 3S-GTE) since it's a collaboration between Daihatsu-Toyota-Yamaha...where else can you get a tiny sub 1 liter engine with 4cyl turbocharge and a high-ish 8500rpm redline :listen:

but the engine that you are using (EF-RL) have more torque than JB-JL... look here
Mira L502 (JB-JL) spec
Mira L500 (EF-RL) spec

in stock standard trim, both achieve 47.07kW (63.12hp) due to kei car regulations in Japan. But look closer, the 3cyl model achieve it in lower rpm (6800 rpm) than 4cyl ones (7500 rpm)...

EF-RL won on torque figures 104.93 Nm/4000 rpm vs JB-JL 100.03 Nm/4000 rpm... that's why EF-RL models tends to be more accelerative than JB-JL models.....

anyhow, you got a gem of an engine there....

Qft

Jan 20, 2010
kuantan
yup i juz got it f.mounted coz i dnt wnt to make a hole on my hud. :biggrin: my car jz pass puspakom inspect. so, all stil stndrt. juz switch it front mount intercooler, 2inch piping, and a downpipe. im planning to mke it a little more pwrful. is this engne campully same as the L2 engne? thankx alot man.. i juz lucky to get tht engine.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
yup i juz got it f.mounted coz i dnt wnt to make a hole on my hud. :biggrin: my car jz pass puspakom inspect. so, all stil stndrt. juz switch it front mount intercooler, 2inch piping, and a downpipe. im planning to mke it a little more pwrful. is this engne campully same as the L2 engne? thankx alot man.. i juz lucky to get tht engine.
The campully issue i'm not sure... you can browse here... you need to register 1st..

u'r using std turbo? if so, mind sharing...
  1. intercooler piping size and routes?
  2. intercooler model/spec?
  3. Throttle response comparison before and after fmic?

Currently I'm using L9 scoop on my kancil blalang hood

as you can see... kinda fugly rite.... wished to convert it to fmic but some ppl sez it will be laggy since the route is longer... intercooler size oso an issue... too small it'll cause back pressure.. too large, the pressure might be loss...

Qft

Jan 20, 2010
kuantan
im not sure bout the size, and using local kcar intercooler. but the respond is not much diff frm the tmic. cnt feel the turbo lag. im planning to switch the turbo.. my turbo seem to hve a lil prob.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
im not sure bout the size, and using local kcar intercooler. but the respond is not much diff frm the tmic. cnt feel the turbo lag. im planning to switch the turbo.. my turbo seem to hve a lil prob.
one those JASMA/Infinite/FRP rite?

care to share your fmic intercooler pic?

sorry for asking for soo much... it intrigues me since i've done my swap in feb 2009...

altho your engine is 3cyl... but the turbo are the same (RHF3) witth 4cyl... so basically the boost pressure and flow are the same...

if so... i can put my normal hood (kept one just in case :rofl: )... and silenced back my std bov... then i can go into sleeper mode :biggrin:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all sifus,

Would just like to know what you all think about the above-mentioned title?

Been hearing quite a number of debates about it.

Some say if you have good suspension (high-end brand or custom) you dont need any strut bars or brace or ARB. Then there are some who say, with bars or brace or ARB is better even thought stock suspension.

Then there are also some who said if you have a good set of suspension, putting on struts or brace or ARB is of little or no use. Some even...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience