How to remove N13 dashboard?(HELP)

sky_lor

Known Member
Jan 9, 2005
hi everyone, i am driving N13 year 1988. now the problem is inside my dashboard got some weird kind of noise when i driving exspecially when go thru the rough and uneven road. its very loud and anoying, so i was thinking of remove the dashboard and find out the cause of it and want to solve it. i had try to find out the source of the noise thru the small small hole that i can go in with my hand under the dash, but i cant find anything that may create the noise, so i think i have to remove the whole dashboard, and at the same time i can DIY the sound proof for the firewall at the same time. so the problem i facing now is how to remove the dashboard? the thing i noe to remove now is the center console, glove box, and the driver side meter dashboard part. but the whole piece of the dashboard, i have totally no idea since i dunno where is the hidden screw or clip that i need to remove. so is there anyone here try before?bcoz i really need ur guide here...by telling me where is the screw and clip located and mayb some hints and tips on how to remove it, then i think i can make it in the minimum risk.
so really hope someone here can help me on this...really appreciate ur help

skyther

Jul 19, 2006
Perth, WA
Got a picture of your dash dude?

I've remove my entire dash before, it's not a N13, but should be pretty similar.

Drivers side dash - covers centre and drivers' side air-conditioning vents + controls, head unit, ciggy lighter + tray and instrument cluster; I take it that you've removed this part.

The rest of the dash should be held in with screws. You will need to remove your steering wheel to get it out, its held in by a 12mm nut I think and you'll need a steering wheel puller, takes a bit of force to get it out but don't strike it too hard as you will damage the steering column. You should remove your indicator stalks as well, just so you don't break them.

There should be a screw on each side at the bottom of the dash near the kick panel. 2 screws at each side of the dash hidden behind the door.

You will need to remove the flap that's located between the dash and the windscreen; the part which covers the defogging vents. In between the vents you will see a few "caps", pop them up and they will reveal nuts - remove them. Remove your A-pillar covers, they should be just held on using clips as mine were. Look at the bottom of the A-pillars where the covers previously were, there should be a screw on each side, remove them. Use a flat end screwdriver to pry the flap upwards, dont bother removing the flap, just pry it up so that you can see 2 nuts which are hidden under it. Remove them and your dash should come straight off, if it doesn't, tug it a little bit at the sides and get a feel to see where else the dash is held in. Watch the wires when you pull out the dash, there will be a dash loom which goes to the instrument cluster, console buttons, head unit and ciggy lighter. Remove it gently as you don't want to snap any wires or connectors. Check to see if you have floor courtesy lights as well. Check to see you don't tug any wires that lead to the kick panels on either side; your ECU should be behind the left kick panel and central locking on the right.

Don't use too much force on it, if it's meant to come out it usually does nice and easy. You won't be able to get to the firewall as there are bars and metal framework behind the dash which are welded and part of the structure, as well as air conditioning vents and the rest of the loom.

Hope this helps.

sky_lor

Known Member
Jan 9, 2005
hei thanks skyther...ur guide is quite detail...i am trying to visualize it actually...so do u have any difficulty when installaling back the dashboard...i just worry that i will break those clip and mounting of the dash...then will become a big trouble...anyway i will try and look at the place that u meantion the hidden screw located. if really no idea then i try to take some pic of my dash and show it here...hope more ppl can give some guide here...really thanks again yea...

skyther

Jul 19, 2006
Perth, WA
Ummm the hardest part would be to remove the hex nuts near the defog vents, you will need a ratchet with a very long head to get to it and probably an electric or compressor drill/driver to screw it back in tight.

Make sure you know which screw goes where and don't lose any of them. :_:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys, i got a stupid question...
i really wanna know briefly what is the purpose to install Vafc or Safc?
is it up HP or ????
hope master here can let me learn more about this.
thanks a lot!!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience