How to mod a 2pot brake caliper & disc to an AE111

JDM-EK-AE101

500 RPM
Apr 5, 2010
Caribbean
www.zerotohundred.com
You grind the inner part of the bracket to make clearance and get the disc more centered? how much material was removed approx?

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
You grind the inner part of the bracket to make clearance and get the disc more centered? how much material was removed approx?
Yes, that's correct, the middle of the carrier cleared it fine but the upper and lower section (where the clips that hold the rear pads are located) sat very close to the disc. There's a small ridge on the carrier that I ground off, so probably about a mm. You could grind a lot more off if you wanted to but it's a pretty tricky place to get into so you have to use a dremel with a grinding stone to get right into the corners. At first I used a bench grinder and then an angle grinder but the dremel was the only real way to get into the corners. You'd have to take quite a lot of metal off to get the disc centered, hence why I only took just enough off to stop it from catching, but both pads seem to clamp evenly and effectively so I can't see any downsides of having the disc off-center :)

JDM-EK-AE101

500 RPM
Apr 5, 2010
Caribbean
www.zerotohundred.com
I Just can mill the contact side of the bracket that attach to the knucle, and get removed enough material to get it centered without mill the inner part? Did you still use the clips that hold the pads on the inner part of the bracket after the removed material?

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
I Just can mill the contact side of the bracket that attach to the knucle, and get removed enough material to get it centered without mill the inner part? Did you still use the clips that hold the pads on the inner part of the bracket after the removed material?
Yep, that's correct. The more you can take off the inner edge of the bracket the more the disc will be centered, however don't worry if you can't get it exactly in the center because as long as the disc clears the bracket you won't have any problems (just be cautious of ever letting the outer brake pads get too low in future). You can still use the original clips to hold the pads. They sit nice and snug in the holes.

bullitt

Known Member
Oct 12, 2005
Goes find Celica ST202 caliper & just use back the bracket of ST202 with its brake pad. fits your 2pots caliper nicely without any modificcations. Caliper from ST202 also fits your AE111 disc rotor cos they're same diameter just PCD on 4X100 & 5X100.
Hello..sorry to bring up this post..just bought AE101 and thinking to upgrade twin pot caliper on the front brake..i already have twin pot caliper complete with disc rotor (275mm) out of AE111 SS..i don't want to reduce rotor size to 260mm to make it bolt on to my car..from what i read i can use ST202 caliper bracket..i like to know ST202 got how many type caliper? Twin or single pot? Superstrut or Mcpherson model? This answer may help me on searching at local chop shop..or if anyone member here got a set for sale do call or text me at +60192192292.

thanks

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I find that its a waste to reduce disc size. Furthermore, with 2 pot, you need a bigger disc for a bigger heat sink for the 2 pot to work optimally.
I bought the stuff and wanted to do this before. But I sold all of it because I need some money to do other mods at that time. So I've also seen friends and other people doing this mod. The caliper bracket have to be engineered to remove a bit of material. Just very minimal. Other than that, its all plug and play.

bullitt

Known Member
Oct 12, 2005
Veloc..are you from Sabah? Which town? Is that easy to get st202 caliper in KK? Cause this weekend i'm going to KK for vacation..:-)

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Veloc..are you from Sabah? Which town? Is that easy to get st202 caliper in KK? Cause this weekend i'm going to KK for vacation..:-)
Hi... Yes from sabah... Not really easy to get here. Expensive too. Just that last time i got a good offer from mudah.

bullitt

Known Member
Oct 12, 2005
I see..thanks for info anywhere.. :-)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey guys!

Wanna check with u sifu's out there if you can help me out on the potential problems from my situation:

Car Left front wheel emits a whirring to an almost high pitch squeeling sound (like metal against metal) some times while cruising, but mostly when I hit the brakes gradually.

Could it be my car's wheel bearings worned? If not, what are the other possible problems? Btw, I drive a Honda City Vtec 05.

Thanks guys!

Cheers
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience