how to adjust air fuel ratio

escaping

Nov 27, 2007
so u mean white smoke doesnt related to the carbie problem? b4 changing the air filter everything fine... it just normal stock air filter.

alvin2002_my

Known Member
Oct 17, 2006
white smoke??... piston ring gone??.. need overhaul??...
if piston ring KO, does it mean static compression is lower than usual??... does this translate to lower idle rpm??..

sifoo sifoo help guide noobie here...:adore:
could be the valve seal rosak as well.
previously my car also like that, white smoke out from exhaust.
after i changed the valve seal, then everything ok already.
no more makan minyak engine.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
jeng jeng jeng...

The spark plug can use to adjust the A/F Ratio Screw? Enter from which side?

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:57 AM ----------

1) yes.... 4g15 n 4g13 using the same carb....

2) jeng jeng jeng...

3) screw in means clockwise... similar to water pipe... wanna close the tap (lean mixture), u turn clockwise....

4) the workshop usually tune my carb and ignition timing only charge me 5bucks... other workshop i dunno... but shouldnt be expensive....
If that is the A/F Ratio Screw, then what is the bigger screw below it?

poolcarpet

Oct 24, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hi, sorry this is old thread but wanted to ask -

3) Back out on the idle speed screw until it justt doesn't touch the throttle linkage. Then screw it in back about 11 turns

for this step, if we screw in 11 turns, wouldnt' the RPM shoot up to about 2-3k already?? do we tune the AF ratio with RPM at 2-3k? thanks!

Jun 11, 2013
Pulau Pinang
hello, I new here.:pepsi:
But I got 4G13, the carb CO adjustment to me is not as easy as ABC.. u need much experience, listening to 'good' tuned one. Your ear and eyes could be a good focus one, particularly. One-time adjustment u cannot get it cleared, u need many times, adjusting then drive to feel how it runs. Then shut the engine, then start again. re-adjust. It also not easy to put your hand behind the carb, small space to the bay wall plus hot metals around. like touching hot pan. U need to really be patient.

That DIY special tool to adjust the A/F screw u just need to get a used spark plug, then use long nose pliers to pull up the ground electrode tip, make it straight. Then feed up that tip into the A/F screw (looks like covered by round ring). U need to have some experience also to 'feel' the tip slotted within the screw head and that moving ring, then you can start turning clock wise or counter clockwise SLOWLY. To bar ein mind, the A/F tuning when the engine running is tend to make u turn more, as the vibration of the engine will induced it. Again, this process is not so easy. Onces u FAILED to feel the engine lean or rich, u may lost that optimum 'peak' setting. This 'peak' condition practically is so 'narrow'. U easily will miss the position or far away from the 'peak' point. Then your engine getting worse, the may frustrated. I think don't attempt to do if u don't got much knowledge and experience, unless u want to see your car 'sick' after that. Juts a little touch will drag the needle inside.

Once you get the point, you will feel smooth silent idling (close all windows, then listen to engine, u will noticed in the cabin the engine sound like 'far away'), then step ur gas pedal untuk rpm 3k, it continues to smooth, no vibration, noise, then the back to idle position, it remain stable.

Just from my experience.. sorry if not relevant with others. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
from my experience, i try all settings to 4g1x carb, from tuning it more rich and lean, after all measure that i take, the most reliable setting is factory setting, info from my mech on any 4g1x carb the factory setting for a/f ratio is 2 and half screw out from the point that the screw in stop, of course this is not the optimum setting but hell sure factory setting gives carb a normal life again without any harassment from me ...and then, till now i didn't kacau the setting again..:proud:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi peeps, just want to share my recent little DIY project. I just refabric'd my wira door panels. Took me half a day to do it (excludes searching and buying materials). Generally quite satisfied with the results. It is available on my blog site, http://justz.blogspot.com

Once viewed, comments are welcomed. And if anyone wud like my services of refabric their door panels just PM me. Thanks for viewing.. :_:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience