How does adjustable campulley works?

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
if i were you , i will change a cam of the same duration but higher lift. and change to a better breathing filter. and also if you want better low and and better high end at the same time... there is no other way other than bore your engine and put bigger piston in it... there is no substitute for better capacity.....

openpodkiller

May 13, 2008
haha ....thanks bro skywalker and renxun.
my next plan is change better drop in air filter 1st like KNN one. then the campulley ah, i still don know la ....i like the pick up and the same time i like top end torque also ....very hard.....(thinking of change engine to mivec lah....easier... sure got power one la. ...wakakaka)

yesterday, i try to do an experiment by myself. i took out the airfilter cover and just left the airfilter(the round white color) oli. and i tested from seremban(as i went to visit friend house at seremban) to kl. respond at 100km/h to 120km/h (RPM at 3500)is good la and can feel abit diff from stock.hehe .. but, i found out the FC also high oredi after i did this "openpod". why ah ?

and one more thing, like what bro renxun said, change to bigger pistons with stock engine block,will it spoil the block faster ah ? and my engine 1300cc and carb injection , can bore up to how many cc ?i mean maximum la ....

sorry bros, need advice and commend again. newbie ma.........hehe

Last edited:

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
yesterday, i try to do an experiment by myself. i took out the airfilter cover and just left the airfilter(the round white color) oli. and i tested from seremban(as i went to visit friend house at seremban) to kl. respond at 100km/h to 120km/h (RPM at 3500)is good la and can feel abit diff from stock.hehe .. but, i found out the FC also high oredi after i did this "openpod". why ah ?
Sorry to burst your bubble my friend, but what you felt was most probably psychological effect.. Or maybe just very very slight effect only at higher rpm because the air around wasnt restricted to your stock filter cover at high speed. But you're still using your stock filter.. Remember? Same size, same filtration.

The higher FC was most probably the result of your right foot testing out the 'new found power' and end up revving more than usual. :)

But if i'm wrong then, shoot away.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
haha ....thanks bro skywalker and renxun.
my next plan is change better drop in air filter 1st like KNN one. then the campulley ah, i still don know la ....i like the pick up and the same time i like top end torque also ....very hard.....(thinking of change engine to mivec lah....easier... sure got power one la. ...wakakaka)

and one more thing, like what bro renxun said, change to bigger pistons with stock engine block,will it spoil the block faster ah ? and my engine 1300cc and carb injection , can bore up to how many cc ?i mean maximum la ....

sorry bros, need advice and commend again. newbie ma.........hehe
change to k&n filter first la... after that retune ur carburetor afr... sure u can notice some difference... will result in better fuel consumption as well...
if u got the money, change mivec engine lo... prepare 10k for it...

fc high because u constantly playing with ur throttle revving it up... can say physcology lar... if u maintain ur throttle at constant level, i'm sure fc will decrease compare to previous... most important, retune ur afr regularly as carbie afr easy lari....

i've tested this method before... (diy open pod by removing the airbox)... vr good at mid to high speed... because less air restriction due to the small airbox... cruising at highspeed also result in lower rpm as less air restriction... as a result, melaka-ipoh trip can save me about quarter tank of fuel...

not recommended to bore ur 1.3 block la... best bang for buck is to find 1.5 block and bore it to fit bigger oversize pistons.... 1.5 block has thicker cylinder block wall compare to 1.3 block... hence, it can bore even more to fit even bigger oversize pistons...

Sorry to burst your bubble my friend, but what you felt was most probably psychological effect.. Or maybe just very very slight effect only at higher rpm because the air around wasnt restricted to your stock filter cover at high speed. But you're still using your stock filter.. Remember? Same size, same filtration.

The higher FC was most probably the result of your right foot testing out the 'new found power' and end up revving more than usual. :)

But if i'm wrong then, shoot away.
can i shoot??....

by removing the airbox, u are experiencing open-pod effect... hence, u are free from air restriction due to small airbox problem... standard airbox has a small opening at the end which measures 2.5" in diameter... how much air volume can pass thru it at high speed.... remember, the amount of air sucked by engine is alot at mid to high rpm... that small 2.5" lubang poses some air restriction when air needs to travel into the airbox into the carburetor...

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
can i shoot??....

by removing the airbox, u are experiencing open-pod effect... hence, u are free from air restriction due to small airbox problem... standard airbox has a small opening at the end which measures 2.5" in diameter... how much air volume can pass thru it at high speed.... remember, the amount of air sucked by engine is alot at mid to high rpm... that small 2.5" lubang poses some air restriction when air needs to travel into the airbox into the carburetor...
Hehehh yeah jedi master.. I was trying to say that actually. :biggrin: Maybe the words in my post are confusing..

alamdamai1

Known Member
Mar 4, 2008
Sifus, may i seek your invaluable guidance on how many degrees should i advance in order to have good low end torque....i'm driving an old carbie 4G15car...

i not worried about the performance at high rpm as the max speed that i ever do is at 110kmh...i understand from Sifu Skywalker that there will be a dead spot at 120kmh but it is still okay with me as that is the max i ever do when overtaking...thanks.. :hmmmm:

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
start from advancing the cam gear 2 degrees, need trial and error to see which setting best suits u...

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
Sifus, may i seek your invaluable guidance on how many degrees should i advance in order to have good low end torque....i'm driving an old carbie 4G15car...

i not worried about the performance at high rpm as the max speed that i ever do is at 110kmh...i understand from Sifu Skywalker that there will be a dead spot at 120kmh but it is still okay with me as that is the max i ever do when overtaking...thanks.. :hmmmm:
yeap.. listen to sifoo tofu... start advancing 1 mark (2 degree) on the campulley.... then try listen for knocking noise (by revving when idle or test drive).... minor knocking is acceptable as high revving is not what u looking for... but major knocking is a big no no... soon it will damage ur valve seal, piston ring, or worse, create a crater in ur piston...

alamdamai1

Known Member
Mar 4, 2008
Sifu Skywalker, thank you very much again for coming to my aid....

on the piston knocking issue, would it go away once i manage to get the optimum advance timing value/degree or would it be a permanent feature even when the engine is idling or cruising?...

i now have second thoughts about this cam pulley mod as i was not aware earlier it would result in this piston knocking side effect...:confused:

await for your invaluable reply...

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys sorry kept posing similar thread bout intake manifold but is there any1 here who know wat's the diff between mivec intake manifold and GSR intake manifold.currently running on a 4g93p engine and planned to upgrade the intake manifold as well since i oledi have mivec tb installed on my 4g93p.i read a lot of local car moding mag i found out tat some might use GSR intake manifold for their 4g93 while some rather use mivec intake manifold for their 4g93..so what i wana know is wat's the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience