High Performance Camshafts

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Powerzone

Known Member
HIGH PERFORMANCE CAMSHAFTS

The main requirement to produce power in the internal combustion engine is to combine a precise mixture of clean oxygen and fuel, then igniting this mixture.
The horsepower and torque output is directly proportional to the rate at which the mixture enters the combustion chamber. Therefore, the more mixture that can be crammed into the cylinders, the greater the potential horsepower output will be. To get more mixture to rush into the cylinders, the airflow must be improved.

We aim to improve airflow by modifying cylinder heads, changing camshaft profiles, fitting multiple carburetors, using fuel injection and turbo chargers or superchargers, etc.
The least expensive and quickest way to significantly increase horsepower is to change the camshaft to one with a high performance profile. However, one must be careful to select the right camshaft profile for the right application.

camlobe.gif

The cam lobe profile determines the power band of the cam

There are many kinds of after-market camshafts out in the market, each claiming to add more horsepower to the engine. Most commonly found are the "racing camshaft" or race cams. These are categorized into fast road or quarter race, half race, and full race. Sometimes they are referred to by the valve duration, namely 270º, 290º, or 300º, etc.
However, all the above race cams are not suitable for the normal road car. Race cams are designed especially for (as the name suggests) race use at the circuit, like the Sepang F1 Circuit, and also for rallying.

Race cams are designed to produce maximum torque and power output at higher engine RPM, usually above 6000 RPM. This means that we are unable to utilize the power at such high RPM as we usually drive the car at around 3000-4000 RPM most of the time. Furthermore, the power output at such high RPM requires a special close ratio gearbox to harness the power. With a standard gearbox the power delivery is very lumpy and there is not much torque and poor acceleration (pick up) at the lower speed range. Engines with race cams are high on fuel consumption and low on fuel economy.

Another inherent problem with race cams is poor engine idling quality. The idling is usually rough and the idle speed has to be set higher at around 1200 RPM to prevent the engine from stalling. A standard engine can idle smoothly at between 800 to 900 RPM.

camshaft.gif

PowerZone camshafts are profiled to give a wide power band for road use.

Looking at the situation above, what we need is a high performance camshaft that is designed for daily road use, and at the same time can deliver a much higher power output for a quicker acceleration (for safe overtaking) and better hill climb as well as increased top speed. It, preferably, must not increase fuel consumption too much.
The good news is that such a camshaft is now available from PowerZone. This high performance camshaft is specially designed for daily road use.

What is interesting is that PowerZone camshafts are able to widen the torque and power band from engine speeds of between 2500 RPM and 7000 RPM. This stretched power band means that we can utilize the power for our daily driving requirements, for fast overtaking, improved hill climbs, higher cruising speeds, as well as the occasional sprint.

PowerZone high performance camshafts are computer-designed and precision ground by computerized production tools and machinery for durability and reliability.

Various factors, such as cam lift, valve velocity, acceleration rate, ramp speed, etc. are taken into consideration in the design of the cam profile to ensure minimum stress on the valve train. Only fully tested and the most suitable profile is chosen for grinding PowerZone camshafts to produce optimum power output and at the same time making the car suitable for daily use.

The above explanation will help you to carefully and wisely choose the right camshaft for your motoring needs and enjoyment.

© Copyright 2005 All Rights Reserved by NS Performance Tuning Sdn Bhd.

what's the cost for high cam of 4g13p ? and need to change the rocker as well?

It's RM1140 including installation and rocker set (exchange basis).

Sorry, not yet. We're waiting until we know Proton is not going to make any changes to the Campro engine.

Yes, they both share the same cam.

Originally posted by Powerzone@Feb 28 2005, 14:35
Izzit negotiable?

PZ opens on 1st or 3rd Saturday ??

do u do cams for conti engines as well?

Originally posted by najibkl+Mar 1 2005, 03:26 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (najibkl @ Mar 1 2005, 03:26 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Powerzone@Feb 28 2005, 14:35
Izzit negotiable?

PZ opens on 1st or 3rd Saturday ?? [/b][/quote]
We offer 10% off with the extractor kit.

We're open all Saturdays from 9:30am to 6:30pm, except public holidays.

Originally posted by wajaf4p1800@Mar 3 2005, 02:45
do u do cams for conti engines as well?
Sorry, not yet. If there's volume we'll do it.
So, let's hope AFTA brings in more of these cars, ha!

Originally posted by Powerzone@Mar 1 2005, 10:39
Sorry, not yet. We're waiting until we know Proton is not going to make any changes to the Campro engine.
i don't think they making any changes to the campro engine, if they do then so many Gen2 on the road since march last year also have to change....

What I mean is changes to improve and perfect the engine. When they do this they don't have to retrofit those already on the road, unless it's safety related.

Sorry, no, don't have. Thanks for your interest.

is engine re-tuning with OEM or piggyback ecu required after changing cams?

With OEM usually no, piggyback yes.

only reprofile cam?will it work perfectly without any modification on the cam pulley?

any cam pulley included in package if i wanna change my cam?

Hi,

Camshaft....i'm driving wira1.5 2002....how much do i need to spend iF i change this ? what other things need to be change ?

What's the performance i can get ?
Currently. I've changed my exhaust system 2 4-2-1. KnN filter......

In pg...izzit the M-Power same as yours ?

Please advice... :ph34r:

Originally posted by calvin00cool@Mar 14 2005, 14:13
only reprofile cam?will it work perfectly without any modification on the cam pulley?

any cam pulley included in package if i wanna change my cam?
[snapback]817500[/snapback]​

Strange... thought we'd replied this before. Administrator... is the posting lost, wiped out? Some disaster occurred?

Anyway, for your benefit, we say it here again. We do reprofiled cams, reasons: lower costs, material is highest quality (3rd party castings are risky), no disadvantages, even June, Japan sells reprofiled cams for certain models (where there's no high volume demand).
Our cams works perfectly with the original cam index pin/key (grinding based on this original pin), no need for troublesome dialing in with adjustable pulleys.
No, we don't use adjustable cam pulleys, so not included.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom