high CAM or Turbo

mikenaem

Feb 24, 2010
Selangor
hey everyone. hope u guys could give some opinion here.
i had a satria with 1.6 mivec engine standard. since im not that satisfied with the engine power, i decide to convert it to 1.8 engine. and rite now i wanted to add up some modification to my engine so that my aspiration is fulfilled.

many people told me adding a 'cam-pulley' would be good since my engine had a special system which it can control the valve whenever my engine reach a specific reff. by adding a 'cam-pulley' it can lengthen the opening valve which will give more boost to the system.

While adding turbo, and of course everyone knows how the system works,rite?
but many people said the maintainance is high. unless if i had a piggy bag so that i can control my mivec system.

so rite now i dunno which one is the better one?

could u guys help me out here...?

and which one had a better fuel consumption..

raceengine

Known Member
Nov 4, 2004
Saujana Impian
Cam pulley is used to rotate the camshaft which in turn will push the valve down.The timing of the valve will depend on the camshaft and the cam pulley.The timing means when the valve is pushed down. If the valve comes down before the piston reaches its highest point called the top dead center(tdc), the timing is considered ADVANCE.If the valve comes down after the piston reaches the tdc, it is considered as RETARD. The advance/retard is measured by degrees for example advance 2°or retard 2°.
The adjustable cam pulley, as the name implies, it means the pulley is adjustable.This will allow the valve timing to be changed and adjusted according to the users preferences. Different timing is needed for different speed of engine (rpm) to get the most efficient combustion.The cam pulley can be adjusted to suit the driving style of the driver. The powerband of the engine can be shifted by varying the timing of the valve. Advance timing means the valve start to come down before the piston reaches the tdc. The advance timing will enhance the lower and mid range of the engine but peak power will be less. This setup is suitable for daly driving in the city where the engine revs at low to mid rpm levels.However if the timing is too advance, it can cause detonation/knocking/pinging. Retard timing in the other hands means the valve starts to come down after the piston has reach its tdc.Retard timing will enhance the high the peak power but sacrificing the mid and low range power. This setting is suitable for drag or racing purposes. The valve/cam timing is usually altered together with the ignition timing since most cars utilize a crank angle sensor attached to the cam.

As for comparing which one is better... That's up to the driver. If your goal is utmost power then turbo is the way to go. but that doesn't mean that you can't have an adjustable pulley installed because being able to tune the cam timing can also enhance the efficiency of the said turbo system.

Just my 2 cents. Correct me if i'm wrong. huhuuhu :slug:

mikenaem

Feb 24, 2010
Selangor
u mean for both turbo and cam pulley? im deciding to install either one of it only

karem

Not Seniorita
Jun 8, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
putralalala.blogspot.com
FC affects the same, become worst in most case since naturally driver opt for quick power.
You reach peak faster with Turbo while on highcam you'd basically try to rev higher to reach the power band.
Everyone knows that keeping a certain RPM level will do the FC most efficient, which also why need tuning to suit your driving style / needs. This quickly applies to normal daily driving.

Raceengine was saying that you can still have cam pulley in both turbo setting or highcam...

My understanding lor...

Last edited:

nurburing

Known Member
Feb 21, 2010
Penang
Highcam, is to prolong your valve openings, giving MORE air. And your rpm power range is wider, that means you can have better power at highrevs, change gear better and improved acceleration. But con is, you may lose out low end rpm, means u need to rev higher to get power, good for hillclimb n short courses.

Turbo, beats highcam hands down, by forcing 1.2bar of compressed air into you engine, it produces minimum 40% extra power, and limitless to the benchmark you want. And if properly tuned, turbo will gives u very smooth and good power from low rev all the way to highrevs. Lets say ur car is full of ppl n luggage with aircondition switched on, this is where u feel the limitless power of turbo once the turbine spools, and you never want to go back to NA engine ever! But turbo drawbacks is it canot highrev too long and easily heated up.

But frankly I sat inside a so called 4G93 Mivec (1800cc block), it is indeed very very fast already, maybe you should drive your new setting for a while before heading to highcam or turbo.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

FC affects the same, become worst in most case since naturally driver opt for quick power.
You reach peak faster with Turbo while on highcam you'd basically try to rev higher to reach the power band.
Everyone knows that keeping a certain RPM level will do the FC most efficient, which also why need tuning to suit your driving style / needs. This quickly applies to normal daily driving.

Raceengine was saying that you can still have cam pulley in both turbo setting or highcam...

My understanding lor...
To be more accurate according to my experience, I own both highcam + ported engine VS a standard turbo engine, if u floor the pedal flat out all the way, turbo engine consumes more than highcam engine. While, flat out, NA facing no tempt issues but Turbo tempt rises up after 20minits of flat out.

But in the sense of sensible/normal driving circumtances, turbo actually fuel saving than NA engine.

Last edited:

mikenaem

Feb 24, 2010
Selangor
i could agree nurburing already.. having a turbo can actually save fuel since we dont have to always drive high reff..

btw, i heard a rumors that if we want to use turbo engine, we can't use some lightweight rims is it?

nurburing

Known Member
Feb 21, 2010
Penang
actually, boost maximum 1.2bar, is still under street tune. If u are not racing nor driving very aggresively, dont bother about the lighter rims or bigger calipers, not a neccesity. But do use good tyres and high quality brake pads.

amad108..

Known Member
Jul 27, 2004
actually, boost maximum 1.2bar, is still under street tune. If u are not racing nor driving very aggresively, dont bother about the lighter rims or bigger calipers, not a neccesity. But do use good tyres and high quality brake pads.
yup.. also agree with nurburing.. power without control is nothing, control come 1st, then power 2nd.. that's my opinion..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

brothers..

in need of help..sifus...i wan to install a piggyback...e-manage probably...wanna remove the limiter...one thing i wanna ask..can a 4G18 internals withstand/tahan the high revving..cos now..i noticed the rev cut is at bout 4k++...

thnx guys
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience