HID vs Philips bulb

sreeman

Known Member
Sep 27, 2006
Hi guys, im in the market searching for a new bulb for my eagle eyes.

I was thinking of either the philips or osram bulb, which has 90% more brightness ie ( http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...-nightbreaker-bulbs-up-to-90%-more-light.html ) or a HID set of about 4100K brightness.

Which of the two is better for driving at night. Im not too concerned about looks, but i prefer the visibility. Also, the legal side, but of course if HID trumps by alot, i wouldnt mind.

Thanks guys.

*ps im not doing any advertisement. Just gave the link for better info.

shinrei

Known Member
Jan 31, 2008
is HID legal in malaysia? i thought that way back HID is banned but anyway of course HID is way better than what you have stated above(ordinary bulb). you can see clearer at night and as for ordinary bulb sometimes you can't see clearly also( i donno why). my opinion... :driver:

DLegend

Official Contributor
Feb 16, 2004
Penang
jayjaynyc.blogspot.com
The lifespan of the +90% bulbs are much shorter than the 'normal' bulbs, just fyi.

I'm been using the Osram Nightbreaker since October 2007, and have replaced 1 bulb so far. If your original headlamp can support HID, then just go ahead with it.

sreeman

Known Member
Sep 27, 2006
DLegend, how is the osram nightbreaker in terms of visibility at night? And when it rains.
Cause i rather stay legal for now.

bushidofang

'(00) Lurker
Helmet Clan
Jun 1, 2006
Anywhere
sreeman: you could go for the Phillips that gives 80% more light. used that before i changed to HID. so far no problem, and it gave superb visibility. not to mention bright too. and it's legal of course. IMO, almost like halogen type of HID. :rofl: maybe that's exaggeration. :biggrin:

but i've got headlamps for my car that is meant for HID, so i've gone to the HID side. :biggrin:

hope this helps.

oh, and if your car headlights are suitable/meant for HID, why not? unlike ordinary headlights, they do no have the extra reflectors like in ordinary headlamps so the light will not be diverted/bounce elsewhere, so it doesn't glare other drivers.

sreeman

Known Member
Sep 27, 2006
Im currently using the eagle eyes set, which has a projector in it. My lights are hard plastic.

I think im gonna go with the philips one for now.

DLegend

Official Contributor
Feb 16, 2004
Penang
jayjaynyc.blogspot.com
Its brighter than anything else that I have ever used (except Phillips' Extreme - they don't make it for my car)...:biggrin:

bushidofang

'(00) Lurker
Helmet Clan
Jun 1, 2006
Anywhere
nah. i didn't use the Extremes. its something else.. i forgot what, but it was bright, and good. :biggrin:

sreeman

Known Member
Sep 27, 2006
It doesnt go by K rating, its 60W or 50W, i forgot. Its yellow in colour and the light is better than normal OEM lights, but for me, its no where near HID or philips sadly.

antaras

Known Member
Aug 30, 2004
KL
Visit site
yup... it's definately yellow alright. I'm using night breaker now. It's very bright as well. Much better than any OE(halogen) bulbs. Highly recommended if you're looking for visibility.

sreeman

Known Member
Sep 27, 2006
Seriously? My nightbreaker only is bright for like a step or two from my lights, i find it really bad. Wonder why

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

my bro's car gti is always jerking...y? last time the mekanik said cable plug no2 problem..change the new one (one set). after that, it happens again after 2 months...whats the problem actually? anyone can help me in order to avoid him to replace the cable plug every two months..hehe
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience