Help On RB20DET Downpipe N Exhaust Size

Moses Lai

Known Member
Jul 24, 2007
To All RB20DET Sifu
Currently i'm doing my project on my RB20DET manual, i'm upgrading to Garret T3/T4 turbine with 42mm external wastegate.

My question is, wat size of downpipe n exhaust pipe should i b running n i prefer my car to have more torque on low end, i guess is more suitable for town drive.

Currently i'm running 2.5 inche downpipe n exhaust pipe, can i still maintain this size coz my foreman advice me stick to tis size so that i can cut down on my turbo lag.

BTW, wat's d pro n cons if i install d AFM after d intercooler?

Thanks.:stupid:

Last edited:

stormlcc

500 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
www.beastarkaraoke.com.my
with a 2 litre engine, 2.5" of downpipe and exhaust is enough if u want the performance to be based on low end torque, but if u want a bit of both worlds (low end torque and a bit high end power), then u can try 2.5" at the front and 3" at the back of your exhaust

Moses Lai

Known Member
Jul 24, 2007
How bout if i run 3" piping n 2.5" centre n back box, wonder how would tat turn out? heard from someone tat some jap does tat for best of both world, is tat true?:hmmmm:

stormlcc

500 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
www.beastarkaraoke.com.my
How bout if i run 3" piping n 2.5" centre n back box, wonder how would tat turn out? heard from someone tat some jap does tat for best of both world, is tat true?:hmmmm:
i don't quite understand, either u run 2.5" or 3" all the way, or u use 2.5" from exhaust manifold to mid, then 3" from mid to muffler (smaller piping at the front, larger for the back/exit)

julie2121

1,500 RPM
Nov 12, 2004
Seri Petaling
Visit site
hi there , last time i also used 2.5 piping all the way to the back and now just changed to 3inch piping from the exhaust manifold straight up to the back. the car acts better , boost coming in smoother. rb engines love big exhaust :)

CraZieThug5057

500 RPM
Dec 11, 2005
bro mine is 3" all day from the exaust to the back no issue rev is smooth n still want sumore egine stck turbo rb20 and stock wastegate without downpipe sumore

jameswwt

1,000 RPM
Mar 7, 2008
Hey Moses,great thread...Well,im in a mid of transplanting a SR20DET engine...Ya,i do hope to find out abt the exhaust stuff to...Just wonder do we need to send our car for ECU tuning after changing the exhaust and air filter? Im just using stock ECU...

Bump: Btw,wat is turbo lag? and how to prevent it?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I've recently installed exedy 4 puck sprung clutch kit to my 4g92. I've just reached 500KM on it. I understood that this type of clutch would be much more stiffer feeling and also it can cause the car to vibrate especially during a standstill start of in 1st gear.

after taking the car out from the workshop, it feels like expected on puck clutches. (jerks/vibrate during releasing clutch at 1st gear from a standstill). after driving it in for 400-500 KM, the clutch starts to feel much less...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience