Help Needed - Lighten Crank Pulley Gave My Wira 1.5 Vdo Loss Of Power

Roger89

Known Member
Jan 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Dear all,

I had just installed a Redline brand lightened crank pulley for my Wira SE 1.5 vdo. After installing it, I realised some dramatic loss of power. Very sluggish pick up especially below 2k rpm. It's like flooring the pedal makes no difference. And when I rev the engine on neutral, it kindda almost want to die off when approaching 0 rpm.

Then the next day, some of its original power came back. I assumed the ecu had learned of the new crank position. However, the power still remained worse than before.

Could it be the lcp is misaligned or do I need give my car time to adapt?

Please advise..

avielboys

Known Member
Nov 14, 2008
JB, Johor
powerpackengineering.blogspot.com
Hi mate,

have u tried reseting the ecu by unplugging the battery ? i have had a customer who installed the mythelogy LCP previously on his wira svdo but did not encounter this problem. If the problem persist, why not take your car to the installer and ask him straight about the issue. I think they will help you out since its bought from them.

Regards.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
im also using LCP on perdana, so far so good, but get your mech to install it properly, make sure the belt is tight enuf...& also ensure the LCP does not 'goyang' while idling.

wira4g13p

Sep 11, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Redline? u mean only half part rite? gear sensor still use the original? mine use about a year, didnt have any problem..

Roger89

Known Member
Jan 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Thx for the replies. The Redline lcp is a one piece. Gear cog and pulley welded together.

I'm curious to know if this problem can be fixed on my own first. Otherwise on Saturday need to get the seller to check for me, which may incur more cost if it's my car problem.. :S

I afraid to reset ecu because I know it's been tuned not long ago..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Thx for the replies. The Redline lcp is a one piece. Gear cog and pulley welded together.

I'm curious to know if this problem can be fixed on my own first. Otherwise on Saturday need to get the seller to check for me, which may incur more cost if it's my car problem.. :S

I afraid to reset ecu because I know it's been tuned not long ago..
Tuned VDO ECU? Tuned what? If you bring it to Proton the most they'll do is reset all the error codes and that's it. VDO is self adaptive and sometimes is quite a pain in the ass because of that.

How's the exhaust? Is it really bad? Did you go and adjust the location of the crank pulley sensor? Bring it to Proton get use that PDT1000 or whatever to reset the ECU la.

Roger89

Known Member
Jan 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Well. Previously a mechanic plugged in a device to somewhere at the dashboard. It did tuned the ecu as I can feel the engine was lighter after he did it and exhaust somehow louder. But it is possible that the ecu adapted to the old ways as it is self adaptive as you said.

Crank pulley sensor was not touched. Sorry guys.. but lemme go disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and then take a drive..

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

as for the exhaust, sounds a bit like detonation.. jerky feel to it

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

OK.. I disconnected the battery for 20 minutes, assume ecu had been reset. Still feel the car has some resistance when accelerating, even idling is not very smooth.

Speeder

Known Member
Mar 15, 2009
Change back and use the stock crank pulley............... Then you may know the result..............

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Sorry again - but disconnecting the battery won't reset anything. The error codes and all will still be there. You need to have that PDT device to see whats causing the problem mate.

Roger89

Known Member
Jan 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
My car drove like normal today. Normal as in the throttle response seem to have returned. However still have a bit idling issue..

Roger89

Known Member
Jan 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Those who wish to get a lcp for their Wira vdo, please ensure the timing gear cog is aligned like normal as the oem. The redline lcp that I had (as well as those already in the shop) had a severely misaligned timing sensor. It is misaligned by 2 teeth.

That was the reason my wira was underperforming. I made the assumption that the higher priced redline brand would not have any production defect. I was wrong. This is comparable with Jasma (wira vdo also misaligned) pulley.

I had the mechanic install just the pulley (RM128) and use back the original timing sensor. Time wasted but money saved.

avielboys

Known Member
Nov 14, 2008
JB, Johor
powerpackengineering.blogspot.com
you can also consider the "super touring flywheel" which is easily available on the market to up your clutch pad to 8". That will also help in the power area ...

i got a friend who did the lighten crank pulley + super touring flywheel + 1.6 sohc injectors, now his car is flying :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just got 1 bottle of Tufoil from Tesco to try it out wonder if it's genuine.

Are Tufoil attracted to magnetic force?
I'm probably going to add a strong magnet on my oil filter and if Tufoil is attracted to magnets, then it'll be wasteful if I do that.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience