Front Control Arms

chubster

Known Member
Aug 14, 2012
New Zealand
Hi guys,

I noticed my car pulling hard left under acceleration so I took the front wheels off and had a look.

the tyre on the left hand side had worn a half inch strip down to the canvas belts in the tyre (probably over 50% tread left everywhere else) which led to believe something bigger may be the problem. the right side tyre was on its way to doing the same thing but not quite down to the canvas yet.

I swapped them over (left hand tyre on right side, right hand tyre on left side) and the pulling changed sides. so the tyre was what was causing it to pull to the side. but what did the damage to the tyre in the first place?

I started to inspect all the bushings on both the front left and right sides and found the front end control arms rear bushing is f**ked. my front tyres are using only about an inch of the outside edge of the tyres. this is wickedly dangerous and was causing me to aquaplane in wet weather (and pull hard to one side at the same time :o )

so off to our local performance shop (he owned a black atr that he done a manual conversion on) for some further investigation. he couldn't find anything on his books for this particular bush but being quite involved in building and racing evos he thinks that the bushing maybe the same on a evo7.

he game me a link to some bushings that Whiteline in Australia sell. at this point they maybe my only option other that going to mitsu and getting whole new control arms.

Whiteline KCA400M Control arm - lower inner rear bushing (anti-lift/caster correction) <strong><font color=#CC0000>MOTORSPORT</font></strong>

anyone had to change these bushing?

any got any other advice?

Cheers

chubster

Known Member
Aug 14, 2012
New Zealand
normally here in malaysia we change the whole lower arm. we get it from chop shop..
As a last resort I might do that. I dont really like buying stuff from chop shops. U generally have the same problem again. Does anyone know if evo 7 arms fit?

russellc2

Sep 14, 2012
Wellington, NZ
Hey Chubster,

I haven't checked control arm rear bushing on mine yet but need to as I get similar pull to one side issues when I rotate tyres too and the car's done over 150,000kms so they are probably starting to show wear.

I've just done front and rear sway bar bushings and end links and got those bushings from Mitsi here in Wellington. I would expect you could just get new replacement original control arm bushings from Mitsi too? I'll try and find the part numbers.

Only trick is you have to have special tools to remove and press in new bushings into the control arm - does your mate at the performance shop have these?

I've got the 2003 Outlander workshop manual with details / pictures if you haven't already got it too.

Cheers,
Russell

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
hows about custom soft pu bushings??

look for forumer BESIXTEEN in this forum.

i did my rear LCA bushings with him about 1.5 years ago and theyve held up very nicely... maintenance free and all that.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Honda North America has announced their Civic Type-R crate engine purchase program at the annual SEMA show just hours ago. What this means is that ordinary mortals can now buy "off the shelf", the legendary 306hp 2L 4cylinder Turbo Type R engine that powers the latest Civic Type R.

Update: So there's a snag, chances are you're gonna need to an approved member of the HPD grassroots support program as said by...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience