Formula One to go with 1.6-liter inline-four power next year

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

The votes are in and it’s time to bid adieu to the high-revving V8’s on the Formula One grid by 2013 as the top dogs have voted in a new turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder design to replace the current crop of V8’s by 2013.

Furthermore, the number of cylinders and displacement isn’t the only thing being cut down, the maximum engine speed will also be reduced from the current 18,000rpm to 12,000rpm. All in all, the changes will supposedly see a 35 per cent reduction in fuel consumption while maintaining similar power figures.

No solid numbers are available yet, but news from the grapevine is that the engines will use high-pressure gasoline injectors capable of shooting fuel into the combustion chambers at 500-bars of pressure, pretty much making atomization the word of the day.

Once again, the F1 committee has also voted to limit the number of engines a team can use for the season. Currently, a team can have eight engines for use throughout the season. The new rules will see that number slashed down to five by 2013 and then to four in coming seasons.

Source: Formula 1

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
Finally Formula 1 are down to the ground ... adapting the technology on track cars to daily driven street cars .. that should be the ultimate goal of Formula 1 .. not V8's and 18'000rpm engines ... 1.6 Turbocharged I4 engine is the way to go :D

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
after honda left f1, maybe mitsubishi will join it.. lol ...... 4g92 or 4g61 turbo... muahahaha..

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
here comes the 1500hp 4bangers again, wooooohooooo!!!!!!
where's the like button? hehe:rofl:

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Are we gonna hear Blow Off sound on F1 car???...interesting.......
never was, i reckon we never will.
why bother la? :nurse:

hafidz_moro

Audi 0000 Fanatics
Feb 13, 2005
Cheras
www.coroflot.com
So now..'CAMPRO CPS + Turbo' for Proton Renault F1 Team? OMG!! (Oh Menarik Gilerr) haha :P or CAMPRO CAMPUR?

No wonder Proton so crazy nowadays to enter F1, they have something to penetrate on their CAMPRO CPS engine..and Expect Fellali and Mercedes to comeup with 1.6 liter cars on the road very-very soon... :P

kethon27

Known Member
May 8, 2006
VW should join F1 with their brilliant TSI engine
Honda should join back with their VTEC...Perhaps new K16?? hehehe
Subaru can come in to show off their boxer engine..

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
i really dunno wat's the big deal going on here.
the engines they gonna use won't be anywhere near proddy car's stock engines. :thefinger:
everything in there is prototype. :biggrin:

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
The change will be in 2013, not next year (as shown in the thread subject).

spec-c

1,500 RPM
May 21, 2008
TTDi
i really dunno wat's the big deal going on here.
the engines they gonna use won't be anywhere near proddy car's stock engines. :thefinger:
everything in there is prototype. :biggrin:
yup... highly tuned engines which are not meant for daily use i suppose?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
no more horny-orgasm screaming v8 :biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
ya...ya...100% aggree.... seems, its not a f1 anymore....:rolleyes:
Hehehe but ultimately it will depend on how the spectacle will be. When it changed from V12/10 to V8, many including myself also were not really happy, but I still watch and follow F1 nonetheless as there are still some good battles.

Btw last night I just watched the F1 classics from 1985 Portugal GP where Senna totally dominated the field in torrential rain to get his 1st win. There you can see how extremely challenging it was back then where the cars are already having over 700-800hp but using peaky 1.5ltr turbo engines with much less aero downforce in super wet condition! Cars even spun when going on the straight (like Alain Prost that time). That was a pure masterclass of genius proportions by Senna (he even overlapped the 3rd place car with 2nd place over 1 minute behind him). I wish F1 can get back like this golden era where the drivers' skill plays a more important factor than nowadays.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
well...

easy if they go back use "human traction controller" and release the engine power back....(they didn't limit it directly..but they limit the power by saying this rev-limit,this engine lifespan where those limit directly related to engine power)....

where there was wild power on the tap,then u'll see the driver true skill....(just like much extinct groupB rally car) :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

well...

easy if they go back use "human traction controller" and release the engine power back....(they didn't limit it directly..but they limit the power by saying this rev-limit,this engine lifespan where those limit directly related to engine power)....

where there was wild power on the tap,then u'll see the driver true skill....(just like much extinct groupB rally car) :biggrin:

Banana_bun

Oct 10, 2010
Selangor
well...

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

well...

y they going to trade the combination of human skills and technology race to almost human skills only? because, we got f3, rally, even go-cart championship to show totally human skills....
f1 was prestiges because the technology races its self...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

:confused::confused::stupid:

As the title given,
I wonder how to adjust the height of the absorbers. I hope to lower my car just enough for my daily driving.

I have browsed the forum and read through but unfortunately I couldnt really understand, especially about the ring thingy.

How to adjust the height for TEIN Super Wagon absorbers- ANE11W. It's something like this...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience