Fan Relocation

xxparehxx

Aug 22, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Dear sifus,
have anyone have relocate the stock fan to the front of the radiator after installing Td05, need some info and ideas on what type of fan to be use and the car temp condition after relocate the fan.
Tq

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I am using TD05. My mechanic actually cut the fan mounting frame to be thinner so that it's mounted closer to the radiator. The fan is still located behind the radiator and not the front. Since you are using TD05, I encourage you to upgrade to aluminium radiator + removing the original fan controller to a manual fan controller. It activates the fan at 90c. The thicker radiator also expels heat faster than stock ones cos it's multilayer and thicker too. If your car is 10 year old, the stock radiator may be brittle too due to harden plastic on top and bottom.

On very hot afternoon traffic jam, my temp stays around 85c with aircond full blasting. On normal driving, it will drop down to 80-82c. On cold morning or rainy days driving, it's 75c most of the time. Very rare it goes above 88c.

I have also lifted the hood slightly and I can see heat mist on my windscreen during rainy days, which means heat is escaping. Car runs strong and cool at all times which is great for turbo engines.

Hope these info helps.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
When you mount closer to radiator still have clearance for the fan blade? My VR radiator fan is behind but air con one is in front.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Yes... still got clearence... however the motor buldge is very close to the turbo. Clerance of only 1mm and part of the frame has to be grinded off to make way for the turbo. Initially it has vibration sound but after some adjustments, it's all good now.

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
my old setup is as same as bro stutz.. but recently the fan motor which near to turbo melts down. so its was overheated and short circuited my fan controller which i also need to change. now im modding it to be mount on front which our front horizontal bar need to be grind off for the aftermarket fan clearance. rewire back the ori harness to front and all good to go. im also upgrading to 68 deg NTCL race thermostat which is very good and still maintain the stock radiator. note that only 12" aftermarket slim fan can be install at front due to tight space.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Wah! 1mm is so close.
Your old turbo is the TD-04? What about higher volume TD-04 or is it TD-05 much larger?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
in comparison to the physical size, 05 is larger than 04. In terms of feel, the 04 has a lot better response and 05 lags very badly. But then 04's power curve fades off above 5000 rpm but 05 keeps getting stronger.

on day to day driving, 04 is much better but if power is the only thing you are heading for, defitnately 05.

Not sure about those 04 hybrids.

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
As for my Wira E3, radiator fan still at stock location, the fan motor is quite near to the turbo piping, as for the aircond fan is at the front, no space at all due to the exhaust manifold cover (planning to upgrade radiator, lift my bonet slightly to let the heat escape faster)

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
in comparison to the physical size, 05 is larger than 04. In terms of feel, the 04 has a lot better response and 05 lags very badly. But then 04's power curve fades off above 5000 rpm but 05 keeps getting stronger.

on day to day driving, 04 is much better but if power is the only thing you are heading for, defitnately 05.

Not sure about those 04 hybrids.
Larger turbo usually have lag at low end. I was reading and they have TD-04 of various volume, like TD04-13G, 15G, 16T, 18T and so on.....haha:driver:
My VR standard is TD-05 already.....:listen:

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

As for my Wira E3, radiator fan still at stock location, the fan motor is quite near to the turbo piping, as for the aircond fan is at the front, no space at all due to the exhaust manifold cover (planning to upgrade radiator, lift my bonet slightly to let the heat escape faster)
I lifted my bonnet too but did not want it to be too high, so I add only one washer. After that I remove the rubber lining so there is still quite a gap for air flow.....:biggrin:

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
Larger turbo usually have lag at low end. I was reading and they have TD-04 of various volume, like TD04-13G, 15G, 16T, 18T and so on.....haha:driver:
My VR standard is TD-05 already.....:listen:

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

I lifted my bonnet too but did not want it to be too high, so I add only one washer. After that I remove the rubber lining so there is still quite a gap for air flow.....:biggrin:
yours is TD-05 16g as well?

xxparehxx

Aug 22, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I am using TD05. My mechanic actually cut the fan mounting frame to be thinner so that it's mounted closer to the radiator. The fan is still located behind the radiator and not the front. Since you are using TD05, I encourage you to upgrade to aluminium radiator + removing the original fan controller to a manual fan controller. It activates the fan at 90c. The thicker radiator also expels heat faster than stock ones cos it's multilayer and thicker too. If your car is 10 year old, the stock radiator may be brittle too due to harden plastic on top and bottom.

On very hot afternoon traffic jam, my temp stays around 85c with aircond full blasting. On normal driving, it will drop down to 80-82c. On cold morning or rainy days driving, it's 75c most of the time. Very rare it goes above 88c.

I have also lifted the hood slightly and I can see heat mist on my windscreen during rainy days, which means heat is escaping. Car runs strong and cool at all times which is great for turbo engines.

Hope these info helps.
Tq bro stutzedward,
Im already using a thicker radiator hence the problem occur...the POMEN said he can grind the fan mounting but he said the fan motor will melt under the intense heat coz its locate to near to the turbo. Will lift the hood slightly to let the hot air out... Have anyone relocated their fan to the front of the radiator and how their car temp performance now.. Anyway thank bro stutzedward for the info...

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Bro 4gbanger
How your car temp issues now?

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
Tq bro stutzedward,
Im already using a thicker radiator hence the problem occur...the POMEN said he can grind the fan mounting but he said the fan motor will melt under the intense heat coz its locate to near to the turbo. Will lift the hood slightly to let the hot air out... Have anyone relocated their fan to the front of the radiator and how their car temp performance now.. Anyway thank bro stutzedward for the info...

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Bro 4gbanger
How your car temp issues now?
so far so good.. went to putrajaya with scorching hot afternoon and traffic jam.. went back to port klang safely on evening.. only thing is i feel like my aftermarket fan isnt fast enuf so on still, aircond not enuf cool.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

BTW, which workshop u do now? is he familiar with airtrek?

xxparehxx

Aug 22, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
i send my ride at workshop near sri rampai....how big us your fan size bro B]4gbanger[/B], thinking to install AVS 12 inch any comment..

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yours is TD-05 16g as well?
Is TD-05 but not sure what specs?:smokin:

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

i send my ride at workshop near sri rampai....how big us your fan size bro B]4gbanger[/B], thinking to install AVS 12 inch any comment..
Is not how big you can fit, just whether enough space to fit in or not?:rolleyes:

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
the biggest fan u can install at front of our trek is 12 inch.. and its also hanging at upper side of condenser. better get the high speed one since mine are not high speed one. mine are also AVS so far no temp. issue. another option is evo 789 front fan. but that fan is too thick and no guarantee reliability.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

That's right folks, there's only one more month till the big race is here and its being seen as The biggest motor sport event of the year with lap after lap of heart-stopping racing, exotic supercars, gorgeous Race Queens, latest lifestyle gadgets and mouth-watering foods!

<!--more-->First beginning in 1993 with the GT500 and GT300 categories, these race cars were seen as a masterpiece...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience