Fake Brembo??

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur

Just got word that some shady Chinese company are actually making counterfeit Brembo and AP Racing brake kits. From just the looks of it, there's little to tell apart from the originals and the counterfeits. Price wise, the counterfeit brakes are just one third the price of the real deal.

What we can gather from the news site is that the whole operation isn't as shady as you would imagine, as the makers of these imitation brakes actually has a showroom, warehouse and a workshop! The shop owner, known as Chen, mentions that the brakes are even used in some Macau races. Even more worryingly, Chen has claimed that he has exported quite a number of these counterfeit brakes to Malaysia. The reporter has also noted that the warehouse has stocked a lot of these counterfeit brake calipers and disc rotors, which they suspect might be for wholesale purposes.

Chen does not counterfeit only Brembo, as he claims that he also produces AP Racing brakes and other well known brakes. Several experts has voiced their concerns over these fake brake kits, as using imitation brake kits can cause fatal accidents, since they do not stand up to the strict quality control Brembo and other manufacturers impose.

So guys, if you do happen to come across some brand new, but dubiously cheap Brembo brakes, please proceed with extreme caution, as these counterfeit brakes do not perform like how the originals should. The car's braking system should not be taken lightly, as this is a matter of life and death.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be careful guys...

slipar

500 RPM

slipar

500 RPM
Apr 29, 2006
banting - pj
already have at zth marketplace..seller stated there replica brake set..
honest seller will tell if it replica or ori..up for buyer to choose..
usually the problem is the replica set sell as ori..

ken yeang

6,000 RPM

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
No matter how cheap or tempting of those fake brembo.....

please don't gamble with your life and your love ones, driving around with with fakes brakes....which could perform worst that standard brake.

unless you want brembo gaya, and don't care about your life.

mADmAN

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
bumped into the AP Racing sets in mudah quite awhile ago...

also, to quote Chris from Pentagon Racing about his experience with fake brakes (taken from my FB post about this)

This thing has been around for years but just that it has been rampant and out of control recently!
I had a first hand experience recently in China racing in track and i nearly hit the EvoX in frt of me when the AP Racing Pro5000 brakes failed. Only when the race finish i realised that it was 99% FAKE AP Racing caliper. Best is the workshop owner didnt even know it was fake as it was bought from a reputable shop in China!

We found the cause subsequently was the aluminum is expansion rate Versus heat is too high, and when heat is very high from repetitive heavy braking like in competitive driving in track, brake fluid gets to sip through the nuts n seal causing a sudden lost of brakes!

My balls went up my throat when i nearly KISS the EvoX ass, lucky to swerve in last minute advoidance. When the brakes cools down everything is normal again.

F@#K Fake Shit!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
already have at zth marketplace..seller stated there replica brake set..
honest seller will tell if it replica or ori..up for buyer to choose..
usually the problem is the replica set sell as ori..
If seller sells both, what is stopping him sending to you the fake even though paid for original?:smokin:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Disc is deadlier.

But do you want to gamble your life that way?
brembo disc is flooding the online market place.
so far most are pads and disc.
quality packaging help convince victim
for sure it fake rite,why on earth would brembo makes disc and pad for proton and perodua rite?

i rathet buy local product such as proride.its oso cheap but at least i know its genuine.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
for sure it fake rite,why on earth would brembo makes disc and pad for proton and perodua rite?

i rathet buy local product such as proride.its oso cheap but at least i know its genuine.
Correct, a lesser known original better then well known fake brand......

pangyau

1,000 RPM

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
Brembo disc/brake pads/ parts so much expensive to source from the Service center (Mitusbishi/Renault/etc).
Because it probably genuine parts.

Compare the outside market the price seems below then 50% which it attract the end user.
Unknown origin of manufacturing and miss leading information by seller telling they reduce the price for small profit margin.

Now kinda afraid to source the rotor disc replacement either to buy in Sunway.
Or to source direct from Japan which cost more (40% more) due to essential additional cost.

What is the standard market price of Project-U disc floating type in the market?
How to define the product is original even sell by so called authentic dealer?

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur

You mean brembo max like the ones below?

Fake or not, maybe the dimensions are similar to other cars, hence the compatibility.

For me, if I change my discs, I'm eyeing AFI RS.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Just heard from two friends using brembo in their Myvi. Very cheap rotors, so should be fake but they say they perform better then their original rotors....:hmmmm:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Even Project U/Miu have fake ones right? That's why when we heard about a reputable or great performance parts having fake, really make you think twice whether to get one. Especially when is hard to tell whether is fake or ori.

Example, Ultra Racing bars at least they did come out with a sample on how to differentiate which is fake and which is ori.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Even Project U/Miu have fake ones right? That's why when we heard about a reputable or great performance parts having fake, really make you think twice whether to get one. Especially when is hard to tell whether is fake or ori.

Example, Ultra Racing bars at least they did come out with a sample on how to differentiate which is fake and which is ori.
Probably the UR fake not up to mark, so can tell the difference. I have seen fake Proton parts the stickers looks exactly the same to layman like us, but expert can tell apart.:banghead:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Just heard from two friends using brembo in their Myvi. Very cheap rotors, so should be fake but they say they perform better then their original rotors....:hmmmm:
myvi ori disc is solid rite?
maybe the fake is ventilated but dangerously thin.
or the ventilation area is larger than oe disc.
that explain why the better brake but i doubt it will perform the same under heavy usage.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Probably the UR fake not up to mark, so can tell the difference. I have seen fake Proton parts the stickers looks exactly the same to layman like us, but expert can tell apart.:banghead:
lucky my proton is not using local part and its not mass produced.
so noo need to worry as who would copy renault's pary eh?
the volume just does not justify the cause.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
that explain why the better brake but i doubt it will perform the same under heavy usage.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

I thought they are all ventilated or is there a difference in 1.3 and 1.5?

Your Waja, only the engine is Renault, right? Other parts are local, if not how to be considered local manufactured....

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I thought they are all ventilated or is there a difference in 1.3 and 1.5?

Your Waja, only the engine is Renault, right? Other parts are local, if not how to be considered local manufactured....
dunno abt latest gen myvi but the 1st gen has solid disc.
my wife viva is funny...i mati2 thought the disc is ventilated as i can see line in the middle of the disc when look from far.i thought wah...small disc oso ventilated.
to my surprise,its just a line...wtf is the purrpose of that?

my waja only have to worry abt the engine part due to availability not fake part.
other part i just buy aftermarket...no need to buy ori part as its non critical.

i am most concern abt proton atf fluid as the packaging is never encouraging.

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur

Fake, thinness is one thing.

Repeated braking can damage it as well, due to inferior materials used.

Dont forget that counterfeit brakes dont offer the precise engineering and balancing the ori offers.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
dunno abt latest gen myvi but the 1st gen has solid disc.
my wife viva is funny...i mati2 thought the disc is ventilated as i can see line in the middle of the disc when look from far.i thought wah...small disc oso ventilated.
to my surprise,its just a line...wtf is the purrpose of that?

my waja only have to worry abt the engine part due to availability not fake part.
other part i just buy aftermarket...no need to buy ori part as its non critical.

i am most concern abt proton atf fluid as the packaging is never encouraging.
Just like the brembo brake covers, for show only......hahhaha:biggrin:

Yup, the ATF plenty of fakes.....:banghead:

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Myvi 1.0 uses solid discs. 1.3 and 1.5 are ventilated.
Ah! forgot the 1.0......hahhahhahaha:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
We have fake brake caliper covers in the market and now they even have the whole counterfeit brake system. :banghead: There are just too many counterfeit products in the automotive market.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
me just settle for oem brakes...

stock brakes on satria...

stock brakes on sf5... this alread comes with 4pot....who cares when wasnt brembo...because not going to any racing sooner or later....dirt cheap brake pad also because same as cefiro/1st gen hilux 4pot....but if want to swap brembo....the STI brembo plenty and readily available as oem plug n play (if i want) :rofl:

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Sep 1, 2005
Limau bali,Ipoh
What i can suggest is before you buy anything expensive such as Brembo brakes etc..

1)Go to the shop..
2)Snap a pic of the serial number and packaging
3)Email to the product HQ (normally overseas, who cares..email is free!)
4)Patiently wait for feedback
5)If positive then happily go and install the part..spread the news
6)If negative then walk away, share the info. You just saved your money and your life including your friends and us here :biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
What i can suggest is before you buy anything expensive such as Brembo brakes etc..

1)Go to the shop..
2)Snap a pic of the serial number and packaging
3)Email to the product HQ (normally overseas, who cares..email is free!)
4)Patiently wait for feedback
5)If positive then happily go and install the part..spread the news
6)If negative then walk away, share the info. You just saved your money and your life including your friends and us here :biggrin:
What if they dont allow photos?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Correction. China.
Malaysia is heaven for fakes but most comes from China......hahhahahhahaa:rofl:

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

What if they dont allow photos?
Aiyah! ask you do in the open meh! unless the product right in front of the counter then cannot......hahhahahhaha:biggrin:

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Sep 1, 2005
Limau bali,Ipoh
Supra... nowadays people so skill can take underskirt and ahmoi picture unnoticed..... easy lah haha...

But if shopkeeper die2 don't want give picture then we can die2 ask him question, verification and warranty card hehe

Also can check at the brand website do they really produce the part and do they have authorized distributor/reseller in Malaysia

Even after buy can quickly same day snap all the proof of purchase item and docs and mail to the brand website :biggrin:

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Supra... nowadays people so skill can take underskirt and ahmoi picture unnoticed..... easy lah haha...

But if shopkeeper die2 don't want give picture then we can die2 ask him question, verification and warranty card hehe

Also can check at the brand website do they really produce the part and do they have authorized distributor/reseller in Malaysia

Even after buy can quickly same day snap all the proof of purchase item and docs and mail to the brand website :biggrin:
Haha! True also. Spy shots...

DanzEterna

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
I mean we could simply ask the shop owner whether is the brembo sold genuine or imitation, if genuine should present a warranty card, keep all receipts, when reach home do as suggested by Takuya, email brembo USA to ensure its authenticity.

that's wat I did with my rims, I emailed VOSSEN USA & by looking at the pic to attached for them, they told me my rims were fake.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I mean we could simply ask the shop owner whether is the brembo sold genuine or imitation, if genuine should present a warranty card, keep all receipts, when reach home do as suggested by Takuya, email brembo USA to ensure its authenticity.

that's wat I did with my rims, I emailed VOSSEN USA & by looking at the pic to attached for them, they told me my rims were fake.
Finally u know the truth adi. Vossen kinda too common among Vios :rofl:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

ken yeang

6,000 RPM

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Mudah.com sells fake Vossen cheaper than stock oem toyota vios alloy rim....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
We have fake brake caliper covers in the market and now they even have the whole counterfeit brake system. :banghead: There are just too many counterfeit products in the automotive market.
You know... technically brake caliper covers aren't fake. No one makes these covers unless it's a erm... you know... a cover. So technically it's just wannabe, not a fake. Ori cover! Fake branding!

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
You know... technically brake caliper covers aren't fake. No one makes these covers unless it's a erm... you know... a cover. So technically it's just wannabe, not a fake. Ori cover! Fake branding!
Well said, haha. :biggrin:

Vossen.. I see vossen.. Everywhere..

There are some shops want to promote/sell vossen rims only.:banghead:
The thought about these imitation rims suddenly breaks halfway during driving scares me. Might as well stick to OEM wheels for safety.

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Sep 1, 2005
Limau bali,Ipoh

Danz..how much u spent on the rims?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Finally u know the truth adi. Vossen kinda too common among Vios :rofl:
His is on a Beeeeeeemer.....woh!:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Danz..how much u spent on the rims?
If not mistaken, came with his car.....:driver:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yeah it came with the car as the previous owner bought the rims when imitation vossens entered our market, summore no one was selling 19" at that time, that's y I had to email vossen USA to clarify whether my rims are genuine or not.
If original, your car would have cost more......hahhahhahahhaa:biggrin: