F1 tyres not allowed on highways?

sterling^moss

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Malacca
Visit site
was going thru some pics i took at sauber's exhibition at KLCC last time. then i noticed some words on the tyre wall which sez it's not for highway use. i'm kinda puzzled why it's not suitable on highway use. it's construction? material? anyone care to enlighten me?

Last edited:

sterling^moss

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Malacca
Visit site
acbc said:
No thread on F1 tires.
no thread? wat if it's dry on the highway? the wings of the car can definitely generate enough grip even at 110km/h rite? that's why they can negotiate corners at >100km/h in fact, i reckon the grip generated by F1 tyres on F1 cars will be far more than say Pierelli P Rosso on Enzo

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Don't be silly. Normal cars have higher centre of gravity and the tar used on normal roads are of different compound.

SataniC

Old Is Gold
Dec 9, 2003
Subang
Visit site
no thread is one thing....the tyre wear rate is 50X than normal roads....plus a puddle of water or a loose sand on the road will send the car flying....serious...one time i tried driving around with a full slick tyres on my car...no control....car wont even stop unless brake is applied slowly...heck even semi slick also stated For Competition Only...mine stated on all 4 tyres....

sterling^moss

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Malacca
Visit site
hmm...think i've learnt a lesson today. even though it's the opposite of wat i've studied. hehe..coz all the while i was told that more surface of contact = more grip. that's y FIA started to groove tyre to reduce cornering speed coz less surface of contact than full slicks.

as for the water & sand. yes they do appear on the race tracks, remember trulil's qualyfying lap at monaco after ralf's shunt? the marshals poured sands on the track to clean the oil spills. & the track at the swimming pool area was so tight, but trulli still took the normal racing line albeit at a slightly lower speed (around 70km/h). as for the water. we saw what happened at spa a fortnight ago didn't we? but still, michelin's dry tyres can still cope with a bit of drizzle.

as for the compound. for a fresh track like istanbul, there were literally oil on the surface, coz the track was really green, so the teams sent out the 3rd car out on fridays, yet their times were still respectable.

that brings to another question. wat kinda tyres do they use when they're on the roadshow?? ie. renault @ turkey, sauber @ malaysia, bmw williams @ sydney bridge, some teams @ london downtown last year etc. if they use their normal competition tyres, how come they can still cope with the surface? dun 4get that the cars were running quite aggresively at the mini circuit @ london.

edit : nearly 4got abt the center of gravity. yes i'm not so silly to 4get abt that. but how much steering input would u need on a highway? we're talking abt travelling straight at a constant speed here.

Last edited:

SataniC

Old Is Gold
Dec 9, 2003
Subang
Visit site
well...from my opinion...before every F1 race...SIC will close the track for track repairs...to make sure the track is smooth,oil from last races were cleaned off and sand are where it should be....normal road?summore in malaysia?kekekekekeke....oils from lori hantu dripping here and there...sandtrap in the middle of a corner (from last car accident) are found everywhere...not to mention that normal car wont have a pitcrew to change their tyres when rain starts to drop....ehehehhe so better to be safe than sorry...Illegal them loh.....

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
nakata86,

Its the tyre compounds that matters most. No matter what, AD07 and ST115 are still road tyres whereby you will have a good 30,000km before the tyre needs a change. F1 tyres is a totally different tyre altogether. The compounds, the tyre structure and grooves are simply not made for highway use and also it will never last more than 500KM per tyre. That is also if you drive a F1 car slowly. Imagine these guys are doing an average of 180kmh per race and the tires look like its been raped when the race finishes after 300+km.

We might also been forgetting that F1 tires are only grippy when reached certain temperatures. Below that, its as good as driving in the wets. To reach that temperature, you need to drive pretty fast and corner pretty hard. Thats why you see the drivers doing so much zig zagging before every race starts and thats to bring up the temperature. Even that, the temperatures are not high enuff for the tyres to be working optimal. Maybe after a lap or so. So what i'm trying to say is, our highway road compound isn't like Sepang track or any other track. Normal roads could be a lot more abbrasive as compared to a smoother track surface. Secondly, you don't expect the F1 cars to be doing 180kmh on the highway just to bring up the temperature to have good grip.

SpeedWanker

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
i doubt there'd be much of a problem using old competition tires for demo/roadshow as optimum grip is not needed..
i feel one of the reasons the statement 'not for highway use' is there because those tires are not ment for various weather and surface conditions, unlike at the race track where u can change tires at almost any time u need a specific tire and also surface conditions which are rather controlled/fixed..

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
You are correct. w/o thread it has more grip on dry. but what if it suddenly rains while you're driving? you gila ka?

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
SpeedWanker said:
i doubt there'd be much of a problem using old competition tires for demo/roadshow as optimum grip is not needed..
i feel one of the reasons the statement 'not for highway use' is there because those tires are not ment for various weather and surface conditions, unlike at the race track where u can change tires at almost any time u need a specific tire and also surface conditions which are rather controlled/fixed..
I fully agree with most of your points over here. Simple, short and precise BUT there's one lil mistake and that is about changing tyre at almost any time and specific tyre.

New F1 rules doesn't permit tyre changing during race course. Also, generally the tyres are divided into 2 types, the hard compound and the soft compound. Once you've chosen the hard compound, the whole weekend you're just gonna use the harder one and you cannot change to soft compound say if after qualifying you felt the softer compound is better. In fact this rule have been in practice even before this years tyre rule change.

sterling^moss

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Malacca
Visit site
perhaps the term "highway" needs to be defined there. by any means, an F1 car is not road legal so the possibility of one travelling on the highway is ruled out. besides, i dun think f1 tyres can be fitted on road cars. and for highway, little steering input is needed as the road is straight and the car can be travelling at V-max or respective speed limits on a dry patch of tarmac.

since it's not road legal, y on earth did bridgestone slap the phrase on the tyre wall? really beat the hell out of me.

as for the roadshows, since old competition tyres can be used, then i reckon it won't be a problem for the car to travel in a straight line. as far as i know, once the car surpasses 100km/h, aerodynamics takes over and the car will be planted to the ground. and at this time, the acceleration is better than those of 0-100km/h

just some of my humble opinions, gladly to accept other interesting views. perhaps someone should email bridgestone and ask abt this issue

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

guys need ur advice bout dis kind of modd...i need 2 know either i can use standard ecu?? or hve 2 switch to piggyback or standalone to suit this mod...n im lookin for 4g92 cusco headers...thanxxx...im really dumb bout electronics...:)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience