f.cked up idle problem

crystal_method

Known Member
Jun 23, 2004
PJ, KL
www.darkimages.com
hi 2 all sifus!

quite sure this problem has been discussed b4 in the forums but lazy 2 search 4 it plus mine i'm sure a bit different perhaps??? anyways 2 sum it all up, my car's idling is VERY bad. cold start in morning impossible 2 start cos when i do, rpm will immediately fall after 2 or 3 seconds after car starts then engine mati. so i gotta start n press gas 4 awhile then idle stabilises somewhat... even when the engine dun mati rite the idle goes up n down around 500-1000rpm like tat la. it feels so f.cked up too if u know what i mean. driving seems fine though... engine never mati while cruising. only seems 2 mati when either idle or driving very slowly (such as in shopping complex parking etc)

after hard driving the engine idle is SUPER ROUGH. i notice too during idle when i operate anything electrical (such as my headlights, signal, hazard light, radio and even air-con) the idle gets even worse... what the f.ck?! pls help... pls help me identify wat my problem(s) is/are. if fuelling is rich, does that contribute 2 poor idling conditions?? replies greatly appreciated. thx all.

tk2005takeru

Known Member
Jun 15, 2005
KK
is ur's a Proton Wira 1.6L auto? Mine have this problem too last time, but after changing the 10 yrs old gearbox oil, it returns to normal... Or maybe ur sensor got problem like mine now too... My RPM is stable but after a give it juz a little bit boost around 1500rpm then release, it start to die down but the engine auto recover after a few seconds...

But I think urs is the idling speed too slow, will die down if too cold, try around 800-900 rpm<---mine 900rpm, after gear engaged & A/C, 750-800rpm...

e1fnd

Known Member
Dec 29, 2004
Same Symptom?

I had the same thing too over the weekend... Prolly your Throttle Body... I had to change mine.... It was so bad that everytime I break at traffic light.... it dies... and shaky like mad... So it may be the same... better do it fast because when the idle goes to 500-1k rpm... the condenser goes on and off... (You might notice a 'tak-tak-tak' sound... like switch on and off) which may blow your condenser... :s

crystal_method

Known Member
Jun 23, 2004
PJ, KL
www.darkimages.com
thx 4 the tips dudes. am gonna get the bitch checked out 2day cos i cannot tahan anymore!! chi bai i stop or go slow in jam then engin mati cos of the f.cked up idling then ppl look at me like dunno how 2 drive wan la. damn embarrassing. *if only they knew the truth* hahaha!

cypress8

1,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2004
Visit site
- check throttle position sensor (TPS)
- if you're having a Mitsu turbocharge engine (4G63T, 4G93T), most likely is a common problem. After market bovs could be the cause of the problem, recirculating the bov or use any electronic idling stabilizer to fix it.

Good luck bro.

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
I'm also having the same problem now. So far, based on the replies, I noticed a few possible problems that's been mentioned.

1) Throttle body.
1a) Perhaps some cleaning and servicing required.
1b) Check throttle position sensor.

2) Gear oil. Change gear oil.

3) Sensor problem. Which sensor, I don't know. So far, my mech checked this, he says my sensors are all ok. So for me, I'm leaving this out at the moment but list this here for reference.

4) Spark plugs. Unsure what possible problems could be caused from spark plugs. Maybe misfiring? 1 or more spark plugs don't fire that well anymore?

5) For Mistubishi turbo engines, perhaps it's the blow-off valves. Possible fix is to recirculate the BOV or use electronic idling stabilizer.

Any more possible causes and fixes? Perhaps putting it in point form is easier for reference. :)

AlucarD

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
Shawn's ride is no ordinary ride ......

Bro, not suprising lah with the amount of mods you have... If you have Cams and run cold plugs... YES!!, cold start is a bitch. Idiling will suffer la with cams its a give and take thing..

You might have a dead ISC = idle stability controller. Its very normal for mitsu to have a dead ISC... try to clean your TB and fit in a chop shop ISC and see if it works? Most of the time it will work for a while but will KO later. It depends on your luck. The toyota FICD seems to work.

If you are still on stock ECU good luck .... a fully programmable one will maybe solve some of your cold start and idiling probs. But then again I lost track of your mods : P so It might just be the ISC problem...

jee_square

Known Member
Jun 16, 2005
Taman Melawati
Damn, everyone seems to be having the same problem.. I had this problem bout a year ago and get my throttle body serviced.. But yesterday the same old problem came back.. Sakit hati gilaaaaaa...

lekalo

500 RPM
Mar 4, 2004
TTDI
Visit site
crystal_method>
hiya bro! How's it going? long time I disappeared from zth la. How are u?
That FICD thing is worth checking out. I also not that knowledgeable abt this, U're running with an air flow sensor? Could be that too! Last time in my old 1.6 Satria I experienced this, siap got popping/misfiring that blew my xhos brackets off! "CHECK ENGINE" light came on. Changed that from chop shop, everything ok after dat!

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
I've changed my gear oil. Still the same problem.
Many have mentioned cleaning of throttle body. Anywhere around SS2 where this can be done?

youmolo

Known Member
Jul 3, 2005
Subang Perdana
www.tzywen.com
satria_95 said:
I've changed my gear oil. Still the same problem.
Many have mentioned cleaning of throttle body. Anywhere around SS2 where this can be done?
check for lose tubing. had a similar problem last time with my car. has something to do with the air-fuel mixture i think :confused:

Maxee

Known Member
May 10, 2005
KL
I got the idling problem too on 4G93T, the RPM going up and down from range of 1k to 2k, below is the troubleshooting steps the workshop done on my car...

1. Check ISC - still same problem
2. Check Trottle body - still same problem
3. Take off BOV n put back the ori - still same problem
4. Check Air Flow Sensor - still same problem
5. Lastly Check ECU - change another ECU n problem solved. So is the ECU koyak edi.

Hope this will helps.

Maxee

Known Member
May 10, 2005
KL
I got the idling problem too on 4G93T, the RPM going up and down from range of 1k to 2k, below is the troubleshooting steps the workshop done on my car...

1. Check ISC - still same problem
2. Check Trottle body - still same problem
3. Take off BOV n put back the ori - still same problem
4. Check Air Flow Sensor - still same problem
5. Lastly Check ECU - change another ECU n problem solved. So is the ECU koyak edi.

Hope this will helps.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

One month old Micro Compressor to let go,

Type: Super Micro Compressor
Colour: Chrome.
Market Price: RM290.
Selling Price: RM230.
Installation: Installed to manifold intake(s).
Reason for selling: upgrade & replace to other gadget.

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience