.: Exhaust Modification Corner :.

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hello Guys,

I have a quick question. When you mod your exhaust system for a turbocharge car, do you make the internal pipe/tube of your backbox & midbox smaller or leave it the same as the piping. Example, piping is 2.5" then the midbox & backbox internal pipe/tube is 2.3" or just leave it all the way as 2.5"?

May i know some of your feedbacks and advise?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Hello Guys,

I have a quick question. When you mod your exhaust system for a turbocharge car, do you make the internal pipe/tube of your backbox & midbox smaller or leave it the same as the piping. Example, piping is 2.5" then the midbox & backbox internal pipe/tube is 2.3" or just leave it all the way as 2.5"?

May i know some of your feedbacks and advise?
Of course all the way 2.5"...why want to introduce restriction????

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Of course all the way 2.5"...why want to introduce restriction????
Coz some ppl tell me, must make the midbox and backbox internal abit smaller so that wont lose low-end and pick up. More torque-ky. If do all 2.5" will lose low-end and pick up, only improve high end.

But some also tell me go 2.5" all the way coz is a turbocharge. So no issue. Turbocharge less or no restriction is better.

I also confused now.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Coz some ppl tell me, must make the midbox and backbox internal abit smaller so that wont lose low-end and pick up. More torque-ky. If do all 2.5" will lose low-end and pick up, only improve high end.

But some also tell me go 2.5" all the way coz is a turbocharge. So no issue. Turbocharge less or no restriction is better.

I also confused now.
If you look at HKS, Blitz, Magnaflow diagrams, the diameter is all the way without making the mid and back boxes smaller.

HKS and Fujitsubo publishes diagrams. These companies do R&D and dyno tests.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

I also confused now.
Depends on your capacity and boost level too. Mine is 2.0L standard turbo with 2.5" all the way to rear muffler. Nothing in between, means no center box.
My friend also 2.0L but higher boost, uses 2.5" until middle, then joint to 3" until muffler.
No fix rule, more to tuning and setup....:driver:

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Depends on your capacity and boost level too. Mine is 2.0L standard turbo with 2.5" all the way to rear muffler. Nothing in between, means no center box.
My friend also 2.0L but higher boost, uses 2.5" until middle, then joint to 3" until muffler.
No fix rule, more to tuning and setup....:driver:

My capacity is 1.6L with stock turbo. Put will plan to do a remap. So i guess boost will go up after that. Any comments/advise?

Bro vr2turbo. You have no midbox, wont your car have the drone effect?? Or too loud??

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My capacity is 1.6L with stock turbo. Put will plan to do a remap. So i guess boost will go up after that. Any comments/advise?

Bro vr2turbo. You have no midbox, wont your car have the drone effect?? Or too loud??
See what type of power you will be getting then decide on the exhaust size.

When new the sound was very nice. Now after so many years the fiber glass in the muffler must be gone by now, the sound not so solid. Yes, when idling the sound can be heard from quite far. Not load but like you say more of droning sound....hahaha:biggrin:

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
See what type of power you will be getting then decide on the exhaust size.

When new the sound was very nice. Now after so many years the fiber glass in the muffler must be gone by now, the sound not so solid. Yes, when idling the sound can be heard from quite far. Not load but like you say more of droning sound....hahaha:biggrin:

I guess its time for you to change back muffler. Magnaflow perhaps?? Hahahahah
I dont want the droning sound. I think is going to be very uncomfortable if u drive for a long period of time. Hahahaha. So i think i will just leave the mid muffler. What u guys think?

Well, im looking at just hitting about 200-210 whp. Dont want to push the car to the limit as i still want reliability and is my everyday car. So with that in mind, what you guys think of my exhaust setup? 2.5" all the way through? Reduce the mid and back muffler internal?

Thank you

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I guess its time for you to change back muffler. Magnaflow perhaps?? Hahahahah
I dont want the droning sound. I think is going to be very uncomfortable if u drive for a long period of time. Hahahaha. So i think i will just leave the mid muffler. What u guys think?

Well, im looking at just hitting about 200-210 whp. Dont want to push the car to the limit as i still want reliability and is my everyday car. So with that in mind, what you guys think of my exhaust setup? 2.5" all the way through? Reduce the mid and back muffler internal?

Thank you
That is why my VR no more using for long distance....hahhaha

Wah! 1.6 to hit 200whp? A lot of boost woh! Mine 2.0L of course standard boost of 0.6 say to hit 200bhp only. W and B a lot of difference woh!

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur

Wah! 1.6 to hit 200whp? A lot of boost woh! Mine 2.0L of course standard boost of 0.6 say to hit 200bhp only. W and B a lot of difference woh!

Thats my ideal figure la...Hahahhaha....But we'll see what happens when the time comes....

So conclusion is stick with 2.5" straight through??

Anyone else has a different feedback or comment???

Thank you.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
:slug:

who say 1.6 cannot reach 200whp? can ma...must put GT wing & add a lot of stickers haha :rofl:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
but isn't 2.5" piping for 1.6cc a lil bit big? I can suggest 2" from extractor to mid box, then 2.5" till muffler.
btw wat car u using?
If he can boost his 1.6 to 200whp why not, even more powerful then mine mah!.....:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

But GT Wing cannot be TOOOOO big....If not later wind blow, the car fly backwards....:rofl:
Bro. Danz means BIG wings, BIG power, small wings, small power.......hahhahhahaha:rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I was looking a wireman for my car HID...
who know how 2 install HID on a myvi pls call me...
Good Payment

016-914 2635
(MingFai)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience