evo 3 to overhaul or not

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys,

I'm wondering whether my car to be overhauled or not. The milleage is around 250000km. There's no anykind of white smoke , but the problem is now after a hard drive or long drive the engine seems to be rough and noisy abit, and now I'm thinking maybe it needs an overhaul since the engine is nearly 20years , pls advise on this guys, is it worth it or spend the money somewhere else

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I'm new school.

It's 20 years old, it's running rough and parts are pretty much wear and tear. I say if you have the money - change out all the oil seals, gaskets and do a top overhaul or if you can afford it full overhaul. But get a reliable mech la.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
just use better oil quality....

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I'm new school.

It's 20 years old, it's running rough and parts are pretty much wear and tear. I say if you have the money - change out all the oil seals, gaskets and do a top overhaul or if you can afford it full overhaul. But get a reliable mech la.
bro Izso, any ballpark figure if doing full oberhaul? if not expensive, can include stroker kit...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I'm new school.

Any rough estimation of top overhaul and full overhaul cost.

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
better dont play with fire..
later more money spend than budget since didnt touch no problem, once touch problem come one after another...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
better dont play with fire..
later more money spend than budget since didnt touch no problem, once touch problem come one after another...
Exactly, once open, see this worn, that worn, might as well do all, then big bill. But as bro. Izso mentioned if got the budget go ahead and overhaul....:smokin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
3K probably not enough to do a full overhaul for an Evo engine. Actually I don't think it's enough to do a top overhaul either.

So we're back to square one - like what taikor vr2turbo said - since it ain't broken don't fix it cuz you don't have the budget. But if you do best to overhaul it. Having said that my friends Vios has done 300k km with only normal engine oil changes and changing of usual wear and tear stuff without ever having done an overhaul. All depends on how you drive and take care of your car.

A 4G15 Wira to do a proper full overhaul costs about 5k. I'd imagine a DOHC 4G63T would cost more than that.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Should be much more since parts are more expensive. If not half cut, but engine condition is s gamble.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Sharing the same roof with Ferrari has always meant that Maserati has had to take a different approach by catering to the more luxury-oriented market rather than the raw and hardcore driving...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience