Evo 3 Gear Box Issue. Help..!

eldims

Sep 22, 2009
Johor Bahru
The Car : Perdana
The Engine : Evo 3

The synchronizer on my gb for 5th and reverse gear is totally screwed. the premature symptom was that the 5th gear disengages when accelerator is released while driving. now even the reverse gear wont engage at times. engaging the reverse gear becomes more of a luck. i have a VR4 gb ready but i need some help from the sifus on the options i have.

Question 1:
i heard before that a VR4 gb can be mounted nicely on to an evo 3 engine. is this true..? and if so, will i require a new set of drive shaft or will the old drive shaft could still be used..?

Question 2:
i have done some research on the VR4 gb and read somewhere that it is actually an exact same gb as the evo 3 with different ratios. if such is the case and my problem with my current gb is only the synchronizers, would it be possible for me to salvage parts of the VR4 gb (specifically the synchronizer) and use it to fix my current gb..?

the next question that comes to mind is if its even worth to repair my current gb instead of just getting another. but i like my gb though since its lsd 1.5 way. just that i wonder if its gonna get screwed again in a year or two. any info on this matter is highly appreciated. thanks.

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
erm need to see wht vr4 gb u r using
yes it would be ok to take the synchros n gears from the 5th n reverse
if u like diffrent final drive, u r welcome to take the vr4 one also for sure

if u want to get another evo gb also its ok , u can transfer the lsd to the new box

eldims

Sep 22, 2009
Johor Bahru
For swapping in the VR4 gb, will i need different sets of drive shaft..? i think its VR4 RS. and i also heard tht VR4 ratio is a bit of a slow starter. Poor me..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, i am totally new in car maintaining as i am going to get my first own car soon.
Is Tufoil suitable to use for a brand new car? Will it void warranty?

I understand that every 5000 km we need to change car oil which we called black oil in cantonese. So is Tufoil a kind of black oil or it's a supplement oil which means we still need to use black oil + Tufoil?

Where do we fill Tufoil into? How? When?

Sry if the questions r too newbie :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience