engine problem after full overhaul

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
hi all,

i have recently full overhauled 1.0 kelisa engine and couple of problems rose:

- rough idling, almost rougher than before overhaul but idling rpm is normal. i did full engine balancing with new oversized piston
- whistling noise coming from throttle body/manifold area or belt pulleys area
- louder tappet noise even with fully syn oil with torco mpz
- white smoke on cold startup in morning, disappear after warm up but ive replaced valve seals, head gasket, almost every seals and piston rings
- popping noise sometimes still occur when accel/ decel
- some light oil vapor condensed on new valve cover vent tube going to manifold

here is video ive recorded, please note the sound of blowing through a bottle is actually my air filter, whsitling noise is higher pitch:
whistling and tappet noise - YouTube

here is the thing, the mechanic installed an extra fuel filter before the fuel rail, he convinced me it would filter the carbon produced by the pump as ori filter is located underneath so it filters whats in the tank but not carbon from the pump itself. im not sure this would temper with fuel pressure

ive had injectors ultrasonically cleaned during overhaul. TB was cleaned 5k before overhaul

i suspected:
whistling noise, rough idling,popping noise - vacuum leaks, lean FC on idle
tappet noise - shim not marked when head is removed
oil vapor - improper valve adjustment after grind valve
white smoke - valve not adjusted properly causing leaks

can someone diagnose these noises further in details and advise me?

Last edited:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Same thing happened to me..I'm a kancil 850ezi...judging by the name, you'd know that my car uses ED-DE engine, the same ones in kelisa 850cc

...at least your engine sounded milder than my old engine... mine would shake and rattle like a mini diesel!!! even pak haji who drove a hilux stopped and shut down his engine when hearing my engine sound at the traffic light...just to make sure it's not his engine that he's hearing!

...except that my engine is in for a full overhaul... using standard parts only

for me, I solve the issue by changing both the engine (changed to a L5 turbo) and the mechanic (he ran away before I can scold him)... seriously when a mechanic does not mark the valve/shim placement before removing is showing how inexperience he is (things I learned after this debacle)

better not use the engine too long since it will develop into more trouble.... mine ran for a year with full leaking develop months after the overhaul... once gathered enough money, I've changed to a hafkat w/o blinking an eye

hi all,

i have recently full overhauled 1.0 kelisa engine and couple of problems rose:

- rough idling, almost rougher than before overhaul but idling rpm is normal. i did full engine balancing with new oversized piston
- whistling noise coming from throttle body/manifold area or belt pulleys area
- louder tappet noise even with fully syn oil with torco mpz
- white smoke on cold startup in morning, disappear after warm up but ive replaced valve seals, head gasket, almost every seals and piston rings
- popping noise sometimes still occur when accel/ decel
- some light oil vapor condensed on new valve cover vent tube going to manifold

here is video ive recorded, please note the sound of blowing through a bottle is actually my air filter, whsitling noise is higher pitch:
whistling and tappet noise - YouTube

here is the thing, the mechanic installed an extra fuel filter before the fuel rail, he convinced me it would filter the carbon produced by the pump as ori filter is located underneath so it filters whats in the tank but not carbon from the pump itself. im not sure this would temper with fuel pressure

ive had injectors ultrasonically cleaned during overhaul. TB was cleaned 5k before overhaul

i suspected:
whistling noise, rough idling,popping noise - vacuum leaks, lean FC on idle
tappet noise - shim not marked when head is removed
oil vapor - improper valve adjustment after grind valve
white smoke - valve not adjusted properly causing leaks

can someone diagnose these noises further in details and advise me?

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
this is terrible..ive paid the money and the mechanic dont have idea what to do...shame on me. i read in kelisa forum, some of them send to prodrag sunway and get it fixed..im going to try do the same

how about the whistling noise, any idea what it is??

K3N

Nov 7, 2007
Did your mechanic pre-tensioned the camshaft gear?

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
once my father said in these sort of issues... change the pomen hahaha

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
glad to hear it...

if possible please share experience wif prodrag... tq

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
will do bro. btw wrong valve/shim adjustment can cause what kind of leaks? i have a thin slime of oil at the hose connecting valve cover and IM, removed it and its there again in 2 days

can i run at high rpm before getting this fixed? like overheating due to lean a/f?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
no, u shudnt run at too a high rpm when running the engine in, or else the rings wudnt bed properly sir. the next thing u wud wanna happen is for the new things fitted in there not to bed in properly, dat wud be a waste. the oil on the top cover is normal is u r boosting while in running in phase, imo

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The Red Bull Rookies racing team is on the hunt for a new line-up this year and the energy drink outfit has not only expanded the search to an additional neighbouring country, it has also opened up a new avenue for the search by adding a program that caters to those under 21 years of age.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience