Engine oil have expiry date ?

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
I was doing housing keeping just now and guess what, i Found this in my cupboard man...

Most properly was left by my dad in the cupboard...for at least 3-5 years or maybe even longer :P. I asked him just now he also can't recall :blink:

Looking at the package i can't really tell the content is really according to the bottle label or not but my CONCERN right now is can i still use them ?? Is there any expiry date for engine oil ??

I have done some searching on the net and found current Mobil 1 NO LONGER using 15W-50 viscosity instead they only have the following viscosity

Mobil 1 0W-20
Mobil 1 0W-30
Mobil 1 0W-40
Mobil 1 5W-20
Mobil 1 5W-30
Mobil 1 10W-30

So my QUESTION is, can i get these different viscosity 1 liter Mobil 1 and mix with it and use in my car (4G15 or 4G93). Is it advisable to use Full Synthetic oil for these 2 engine ?

If can't then i might use it to my 1 year old Honda Wave 125 bike. Is it advisable to use Full Synthetic oil for bike ?

Also i found this SHELL TMO oil. Can anyone tell me is this Full Synthetic oil or Semi or mineral ?? Also what's the viscosity like ?? I only have this label on the bottle...

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
Old skool sial .... You should keep it in the cupboard abit longer n show it to ur children like many years later.. Maybe even sell if to Mobil as antique engine oil.

hahahahahaa... kidding la.. check around the bottle la whether there's any "Expiry Date" .. or ask ur mech?

[s]UpErNoVa

Known Member
Feb 8, 2006
hmm.. as far as i noe engine oil dun haf expiry date.. but if it's kept too long oredi then not advicable to be uses lo.. de engine oil compound might haf extra additive oredi like dust n etc..

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
g88
since already cannot use....don throw it

keep it and pass it from generation to generation

until 1 generation your great grandson will say "wah... last time human was using this kind of thing 1 ah?"

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Information from Petronas website
http://www.mymesra.com.my/index.php?ch=lubricants&pg=lub_general&ac=faqs

Q.29 Can engine oil become expired?

Yes, if the engine oil is contaminated.

If the seal is still in good condition and there is no sign of continuous exposure, engine oil could last for a very long time.

Nevertheless, after the seal is broken, it is recommended that the oil to be used immediately within 6 months from the time the seal was broken.

For metal cutting oil and insulating oil, this oil should be used within one year from the date it is manufactured.
g88, mind sharing what car your dad drive? Turbo and Rally formula from Mobil.