Engine Knocking After Installing Turbo Kit on Altis 1.6

kaderAE101

Known Member
Mar 6, 2010
K.L / Ampang
Hi Minormod,

Have you upgraded yr fuel pump ?

Did you install fuel pressure regulator ?

From my knowledge, normal pump & regulator cannot perform well at high end.. particularly since you have a turbo !

nan83

Known Member
Nov 14, 2004
Pasir Mas,Kel
wej a noob? naahhhh, i dont believe it..
hehe... noob?? wej already play standalone while i'm just no nothing about turbo engine.... hahaha.. quite a lot of question i'm asking him bout engine last 5-6years ago .... :)

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

from info that you tell, it look like yr tuning not good.... hear knock at acceleration ( peak torque) and no knock at hi rpm while maintaining boost....

if fuel octane cannot support... it like knock all the way to the redline... ( my tuning experience while tuning hi boost, [ it still knock while ign timing is 0' = auto ignition = fuel cannot sapot, need hi octane] )

you need to retard timing at peak torque... & gradually increase it back to the redline....

i dunno how yr unichip wired, just control fuel only?? do it wired to ignition harness??
i also cannot guess what yr real prob, you just need to find good tuner & know what going on to yr car....

lastly, if yr unichip not capable to solve this prob.... can try meth injection or water/meth injection... sure the prob gone....

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
i dunno if the tuner did tune the ignition but iam not on a level dat enables me to comment the tuning state of a well known tuner, so iam keeping in mind dat the tuning is proper for now.. iam guessing the dyno machine, and the lower gear was used when the tuning was done. and the mechanical limit has been reached with the std gasket imo, this engine has a high compression to begin with kan?

nan83

Known Member
Nov 14, 2004
Pasir Mas,Kel
huumm.. true also.. hard to say lah. need to check properly..

but i think it setup still not exceed mechanical limit @ 0.5bar...

but someone already done 10.5:1 cr @ 1.5bar @ 97ron @ low intake temp .... at peak trq. 0' ign timing ... 7k rpm 13' ign timing .... but it diff setup lah, gt37(low back pressure, operate below turbo crossover), huge cam...

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
dat huge cams helps in keeping the pinging low imo, weve inserted agressive cams inside an na machine, the compression pressure dropped substantially with the cams in at 0degree

nan83

Known Member
Nov 14, 2004
Pasir Mas,Kel
yaa.. the cam reduce the dynamic c.r. .... for this VVti engine, how to retard intake cam to reduce some dynamic cr?? Camcon can help?? or unichip have this function??

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
i think the problem TS is saying is that only during sudden throttle input will cause the engine to knock. if that is true, i am assuming the stock ecu has this map called throttle pump (as like what Haltech mention) or pump1, pump2 settings similar to Microtech.

the ignition timing is advanced more than normal at any given RPM/MAP input to give crisp throttle responds when input change suddenly (this is used usually like overtaking a slower car infront with sudden full throttle)

to solve this issue, i suppose reflash your stock ecu (if available) to suit your setup would be a good idea. or like many other people said. lower down your compression. good luck.

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
minormod said:
Hi all,
I recently installed a turbo kit on my Altis 1.6 G9 model.

The kit is ordered from TurboSpecialties comes with a Garrett GT20 turbine, pre-assembled manifold, piping, extra 2 fuel injectors.

The installer tuned it with a Unichip Q+ (no turbo module) to control the extra 2 injectors during boost. The setup is currently boosting at 0.5 bar.

This is how the engine bay looks like.

However, whenever I step hard on the throttle and the engine revs and turbo boosts up, engine knocking happened (rattling sound). I've already used RON97 petrol and changed to colder spark plugs, tweaked up the AFR, the tuner has retuned it many times and even tried retarded the ignition timing.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Is it because there is still not enough petrol injection or what? Do I need to install a boost solenoid/controller? Thanks for any advice!
I sugguest you give Viswork Auto Lab a call they are sole distributor for Unichip I just wonder why you no need the turbo module. Maybe they can answer yr question.

minormod

May 20, 2011
Kelantan
Thanks for all the input. I called Viswork but they say their tuner is out of town until next month... :(

Looks like I can only wait for now.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Generally, have to retuned (retard) ignition timing, use thicker head gasket, or low comp pistons. Since you said it is a turbokit, and only 0.5 bar, the low comp pistons option is out. Since you said if is a turbokit, I would advise you to take it back to the place that you bought it. It means that the setup/tuning hasn't been done properly and they have to fix ti for you or refund your money. Because the word "turbokit" means a tested, proven, reliable method of installing a low boost turbo to stock engine. Something that a seller/manufacturer already research on and it is meant to work on the engine it was meant for.

What is you AFR? I wouldn't think that enriching your fuel further will be a god option if the mixture is already healthy. Because a good low boost turbo is meant to improve fuel economy as well and can run lean on certain conditions.

Hope you settle it soon bro...

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
at what RPM do you start seeing boost? and at what RPM does the additional injectors start working (as tuned by tuner)

answer these 2 questions and you may be able to pin point the solution.

i'm sure that its nothing to do with fueling, since you say there's no pinging at full boost.

minormod

May 20, 2011
Kelantan
at what RPM do you start seeing boost? and at what RPM does the additional injectors start working (as tuned by tuner)

answer these 2 questions and you may be able to pin point the solution.

i'm sure that its nothing to do with fueling, since you say there's no pinging at full boost.
Thanks for all the input guys... Really appreciate it, I'm back at the place where they installed my kit. The boost comes in at about 2.2k rpm, and reaches full boost at about slightly more than 3k. The additional injectors run in so long as there is boost (> 0 bar). The tuner is going to retard the timing at peak torque according to him now... Let's see what happens, but the other time he tried retarding it make the car really unresponsive, i don't know how is he going to tune it again this time.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Generally, have to retuned (retard) ignition timing, use thicker head gasket, or low comp pistons. Since you said it is a turbokit, and only 0.5 bar, the low comp pistons option is out. Since you said if is a turbokit, I would advise you to take it back to the place that you bought it. It means that the setup/tuning hasn't been done properly and they have to fix ti for you or refund your money. Because the word "turbokit" means a tested, proven, reliable method of installing a low boost turbo to stock engine. Something that a seller/manufacturer already research on and it is meant to work on the engine it was meant for.

What is you AFR? I wouldn't think that enriching your fuel further will be a god option if the mixture is already healthy. Because a good low boost turbo is meant to improve fuel economy as well and can run lean on certain conditions.

Hope you settle it soon bro...
Thanks man, I hope so too. Actually I also realised the kit is not really meant for 1.6 3ZZ-FE, it's meant for 1.8 1ZZ-FE engine. =/

According to the tuner he tweaked the AFR to be 12:1 or 13:1 I think.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Hi Minormod,

Have you upgraded yr fuel pump ?

Did you install fuel pressure regulator ?

From my knowledge, normal pump & regulator cannot perform well at high end.. particularly since you have a turbo !
Hi AE101, nope I did not, because they say according to those who installed before the fuel pressure is more than enough for 0.5 bar of boosting.

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Ok bro...

Since you said your AFR is 13:1 or 12:1, I think that is rich enough already. Don't enrich it further as over-rich mixture give bad effect too. Lots of unburnt fuel causing bad emission, smoke and the carbon will build up faster in you combustion chambers, valves, etc. I guess lowering compression and retard timing is the key.... And if can, try ask to tune the AFR to be lean on low-load and low rpms. I mean that is an option. If FC is important to you.

DO update us and good luck! :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for new brake kit for my Adui A4 B5.
Any recommended brand?
Thank you :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience