Engine Die Off Occasionally When Stop

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
Lawcc, I have the same problem in April, meet a TC mechanic and he advised to clean the throttle body which I did and the problem solve since then. I think u should clean it after so many years. But make sure your mechanic clean it until no more carbon, meaning u see shining chrome color inside the throttle body. Becos I had been cheated by another mechanic in March where he didn't fully clean it and carbon still there and the same problem exist.
Thanks ming_fei. Yeah...mechanic did clean my TB when I complaint about the engine die off issue. But I doubt he did a thourough job.

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
Thanks weikee for the number. Just to be prepared to prevent from being overcharged by mechanic...hehe.

When you refer to AFM, do you mean AFM alone or AFM + Air Flow sensor?

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Sometimes it could be air leaking around the hoses joints between t/b, afm , intake manifold gasket anything after the afm. Have u check them yet, this is a tip from the TC guys. Just my 2 cents.

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
Still haven't rectify yet... but the frequency of the engine die off much lesser after I vroom....vroom.... at 4k~5k rpm in highway..

No error code so far... so quite reluctant to change afm yet.

Could it due to the exhaust pipe stuck with carbon?

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Still haven't rectify yet... but the frequency of the engine die off much lesser after I vroom....vroom.... at 4k~5k rpm in highway..

No error code so far... so quite reluctant to change afm yet.

Could it due to the exhaust pipe stuck with carbon?
Don't think its the exhaust as the only vehicle i've heard having carbon stuck in the exhaust was a kancil (ori piping too small). Have you de-cat your exhaust yet? , cats have the tendency to get stuck when too much carbon exiting out of the exhaust (incorrect air/fuel mixture or running too rich).Sometimes, your diagnostic scanner cannot detect a problem if it is not sensor related. I would suspect either the throttle position sensor, Maf/AFM or one of the hoses joint or manifold gasket is leaking air. What about idling? Is it coughing or having smooth idle . Our felio should idle around 500-600 rpm quite smoothly, otherwise something is wrg already.To check the air leak from the maf till the inlet manifold (upperhalf) try spraying some carb/throttle body cleaner sparingly during idling of the engine. CAUTION: DO NOT SPRAY DIRECTLY ON ANY SENSOR OR CONNECTORS. Just around the hoses gaps and inlet manifold gasket. If there are some leaks the RPM would suddenly surge. Then u have detected the leak! Try something cheap like this b4 deciding on any components swap.

ming_fei

Nov 24, 2007
Lawcc,
Can u pm me the place where u do engine diagnostic and can turn off the coil one by one cos I'm having the problem of car losing power and RPM cannot ram high. I suspect one of the coil is having problem.
When press the fuel pedal, the engine difficultly wroom...wroom....and no power. Just change the spark plug today but cannot solve the problem. Sometimes OK some time not OK....also go to disgnose engine but they cannot switch off the coil one by one. Please pm the contact when they can do that.
Thanks in advance.
Hope to solve it fast cos it is very fuel consuming.

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
i used my own diagnostic scanner. this one can only be used for old socket type (model 96,97).

ming_fei

Nov 24, 2007
Lawcc, oh I see, too bad. My A32 is year 2000. hai....ya......
Any one have any idea where to find one, otherwise will need to go back to TC to diagnose liaw....

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Lawcc,
Can u pm me the place where u do engine diagnostic and can turn off the coil one by one cos I'm having the problem of car losing power and RPM cannot ram high. I suspect one of the coil is having problem.
When press the fuel pedal, the engine difficultly wroom...wroom....and no power. Just change the spark plug today but cannot solve the problem. Sometimes OK some time not OK....also go to disgnose engine but they cannot switch off the coil one by one. Please pm the contact when they can do that.
Thanks in advance.
Hope to solve it fast cos it is very fuel consuming.
I believe that a engine diagnostic scanner can do a power balance test between the cylinders to detect problem cyclinder with a low compression compare to others. Or you can swap between coils to detect the dead or weak coil.

ahloy

Jul 16, 2007
Hi Lawcc,

Has your 'Engine Die Off Occasionally When Stop' problem resolved? I am facing exactly the same issue for the past 4 months. Sent the car to my usual workshop and TC, replaced IACV (used) clean TB, cleaned AFM using CRC Contact Cleaner, clean filter and so on..the problem is still there. Almost give up already..helpp

Care to share your solution?

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Hi Lawcc,

Has your 'Engine Die Off Occasionally When Stop' problem resolved? I am facing exactly the same issue for the past 4 months. Sent the car to my usual workshop and TC, replaced IACV (used) clean TB, cleaned AFM using CRC Contact Cleaner, clean filter and so on..the problem is still there. Almost give up already..helpp

Care to share your solution?
Welcome to the VQ headache , hehehe. A32s r generally very smooth and comfortable car to drive eventhough the engine technology has been around for more than 10years already .Its considered quite technically advanced during its time coz u have the Mevi system (variable air intake manifold and not the MYvi!) variable timing control (earlier models which was dicontinued due to noisy timing chain or something) and all aluminium block and cyclinder head. The pistons r made of light weight material known as molybedum to reduce fuel consumption and increase performance as compared to VG series. Its known to have a bullet proof bottom end.

However, the said engine also have some hard to solve problems such as rough idling , engine die off, hair tearing electronics gremlins and oil leaks from various parts of oil seals such as flywheel oilseals,etcs. These kind of problems cannot be solved immediately but u have to patiently trace it to the root of it. One sensor problem would create a chain of other problem for the engine. If u r lucky, problem would be solved by plugging in consult scanner. If its non detectable by the scanner , then it could be some intermittent wiring problem. Thats when our local mechanics start to dissappear, hahaha.. Just my 2 cents. :banghead::banghead::biggrin::biggrin::driver::driver:

Last edited:

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
ahloy,

I clean TB, IACV, AFM etc can't solve the issue.

So unreluctantly replaced the AFM from chop-shop for RM250, thank God so far never happen again. Never thought AFM is an issue as no engine light on or error code detected.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm helping a (an extremely rich) friend to pick out a car for his own birthday. He was thinking LFA, Gallardo, or a 458 Spyder. So far, LFA is winning, because there are a couple dealers in my area that have, and let's be honest, owning one out of only five hundred available in the world is pretty boss.

How would would you choose? Any opinions?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience