ECU processor speed..why bother ?

flamefox850

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Pasir Mas
www.geocities.com
hi,

i just want to ask u guys, why people bother about ecu processor speed ? what's the advantage if the speed higher ? and what's the disadvantage if the speed is low (such as stock ecu)

soggie

Known Member
Oct 26, 2004
Lets take 2 rpm monitors for example.

A - process 1000 signals per second
B - process 100 signals per second

Objetive: Rev cut exactly at 7000 rpm. Rate of climb: 3000 rpm per second

Ok, now you step on the pedal, both engines hit 6000 rpm after 2 seconds. Now what?

On the third second, both rpms climb to 7000, and A cuts it at 7000, while B cuts it at probably 8000-8500 rpm.

Why? This is because B's processor is much slower, and couldn't accurately trigger the event scheduled to happen on that very moment, due to slow update-feedback process. The faster ECU captures the change easily, and accurately does its work. In an engine where everything is delicate - an imbalance of fuel/air might lead to serious complications, the speed and accuracy of the ECU becomes a major factor, as in all real-time applications.

flamefox850

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Pasir Mas
www.geocities.com
ok thx bro soogie.. got what u mean.

so, if i take 1 ABC engine using fast ecu with optimum afr and ignition timing for max power...then swap with slower ecu with same afr and ignition timing setting as previous...and the result : the slower ecu might cause the engine to knock if boost comes too fast as it retard ignition timing a litte slower than previous ecu..is it ?

ecupro

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
soggie,
You quote:
"On the third second, both rpms climb to 7000, and A cuts it at 7000, while B cuts it at probably 8000-8500 rpm."

May be wrong in theory. All processor has built in timer( may be more ).There use the clock speed to do division, and talking at ms ( time unit ).

Those who really at 80s, playing games on Apple-II computer with green monitor,there are doing good job there.

For resolution, we are talking on from 8 bits system ( like Apple-II,IBM ) to 32 bits system. The more bits you have, the higher resolution.

For speed wise, high speed mean the processor can do more job ( processor have more time to do others event, and depned on timer again )

Good Luck.

ecupro

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
soggie,
You quote:
" Haha I couldn't think of a layman way of describing it anyway :P "

Well, every body try to do the "BEST" way.
Anyway, good try.

Good Luck.

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
my understanding (which may be wrong)

no way an engine's revs or boost can climb up faster than the ecu can process. hell, even a calculator can do thousands of calculations per second (as ecupro said, measured in miliseconds). i doubt even an F1 engine can skip its rev limiter...

please please correct me if i'm wrong. i'm also learning

pcdr

Jan 4, 2007
higher rate to proces more info at the same time,i read it sumewhere regarding bmw m6 having the most sensors on car thus needing a higher procesing ecu,well 32 bit would be nicer to see no?dont we just love numbers....well i do

plus computer can hang mah,muhaha i rather play game on higher pentium procesor rather than playing game on the minimum requirement and having abit bit problem especially when i try to alt+tab it to open diffrent program

Last edited:

ecupro

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
pcdr,
You quote :" higher rate to proces more info at the same time,i read it sumewhere regarding bmw m6 having the most sensors on car thus needing a higher procesing ecu,well 32 bit would be nicer to see no?dont we just love numbers....well i do"

Well, this BMW using Network to communicate like even a up/down window,driver sit position.....

Now 32 bit, then....64 bit.......

Ahhhhhh.......8 bit with 4 Quad Core....he..he..he....

Good Luck.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We have here a grey BMW F30 today, for some light corrections and Optimum Coating. Initial conditions of the car was that it is in quite a good shape, paint was clean, seldom driven as the owner was waiting for us to do the coating before he drove it. The only defect we could spot was...

So as we can see from...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience