driving your car hard - wear and tear

terboed

May 22, 2009
so i was curious,

if you were to drive long distances on alot of days and maintaining decent speed i.e 120-150km/h on average of 2 hours a day and throw in some hills and interesting corners, basically describing a very hard-driven daily driver all year round...

what part of the car should we be watching out for?

tires? most-def the first

radiator? ive a cracked radiator before but not sure coz of my driving...

bearings and bushings? ive a friend who goes trough 2 sets a year...

suspension-dampeners and springs? avoid lobang like a retard? i do that! hahaha

chassis flex? should i be worried? haha!

engine innnards and pieces?
broken camshafts! ive seen it! damn scary!
tappets making more than ordinary noise?

timing belts and pulleys?
maintaining high revs with air-con on will stress your air-con compressor yes?
ive had the belt come apart but lucky dint hit anything else :P if kena the power steering or alternator sure sleep roadside that day

on turbo cars im sure hoses and pipes needs to be tip-top and need to jaga kaw-kaw isn't it?
a leaking turbo isnt fun...

exhaust system wear and tear? mounting and burnt mufflers

what interests me the most is how you maintain decent performance from a car and how to get ultra-reliability from it.

share your experiences and opinions, all are welcome...

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
tires? most-def the first
- Yes

radiator? ive a cracked radiator before but not sure coz of my driving...
- If the water isn't changed on schedule, and the radiator is over 5 years.

bearings and bushings? ive a friend who goes trough 2 sets a year...
- Damaged usually not through spinning of wheels. But rather from hard bumps, over tightening and not lubed enough.

suspension-dampeners and springs? avoid lobang like a retard? i do that! hahaha
- These things always goes bad after nearly 3 years for the OEM stuff. Aftermarket ones can last a little longer. But then that to depends on how much you pay for originality.

chassis flex? should i be worried? haha!
- If you yank the steering through corners alot throughout the year, the chassis will bend. Sometimes crakes may appear at critical welded areas. I have seen quit many Saga taxis with bent chassis. You know how they drive all year long.

engine innnards and pieces?
broken camshafts! ive seen it! damn scary!
tappets making more than ordinary noise?
- Change engine oil regularly. If your engine is tuned/moded a lot, such damages are un-avoidable no matter how good the engine oil you use.

timing belts and pulleys?
maintaining high revs with air-con on will stress your air-con compressor yes?
ive had the belt come apart but lucky dint hit anything else :P if kena the power steering or alternator sure sleep roadside that day
- Most OEM parts are designed for regular daily drives and not hard driving. Even if you use race parts, does not mean it will guaranteee not to fail. Many factors contribute to failing.

on turbo cars im sure hoses and pipes needs to be tip-top and need to jaga kaw-kaw isn't it?
a leaking turbo isnt fun...
- Most turbo cars OEM does not need maintenance on hoses. It is only when the owner changes the hose to aftermarket ones and not installed properly, that such problems arise.

exhaust system wear and tear? mounting and burnt mufflers
- Normal engines does not spit fire. Even a normal factory mitsu EVO or Nissan GTR does not spit fire. Only after you changed exhaust that you can see the exhaust spit fire. The timing for the next engine pulse has changed, causing unburt fuel and combustion sequence to exit out the exhaust.

what interests me the most is how you maintain decent performance from a car and how to get ultra-reliability from it.
-Drive a stock performance car like Civic Type R, or Evo or Subaru with regular maintenance. Prove of point? Look at the guys driving in MME. Most of them runs almost stock engine. Guys that retire from engine failure are the ones with almost 50% mods on their car. Every year its the same.

share your experiences and opinions, all are welcome...
- When you have the internet, its called knowledge. Personal experiences may differ from person to person. With the base knowledge + information from people, then you would not have to bother posting things like this again.

Last edited:

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
wear & tears... just replace with the new OEM or Aftermarket parts loo... otherwise, just change the car...

even u didn't drive ur car, put it under basement for few years, also will wear & tears wat...

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
kh_tan.tripod.com
wear & tears... just replace with the new OEM or Aftermarket parts loo... otherwise, just change the car...

even u didn't drive ur car, put it under basement for few years, also will wear & tears wat...
If the car is left idle, it will rot and degrade. Big difference from wear and tear. hehehe.

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
If the car is left idle, it will rot and degrade. Big difference from wear and tear. hehehe.
right to the point bro... just when searching for recond car... oso scared to get those idle for 2-3yrs car... damn..:banghead:

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
drive it hard daily then maintain it periodically - should be ok.......what to change? all worn out parts

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
drive it hard daily then maintain it periodically - should be ok.......what to change? all worn out parts
...even not worn out, still need to change to branded parts... wat to do..., "modified" car ma...:rofl::rofl:

SachSeelan

Known Member
Oct 18, 2008
Area25
if ur a season hard driver.. u should just know(feel) when this parts start to fail... not to worry too much.. drive her hard boy...

only one advice - the harder you push her, the harder she will push ur pockets..

key here is preventive maintenance..

so the choice is yours.. cheers

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
kh_tan.tripod.com
Yes, the harder you drive, the shorter the maintenance schedule. Lets say, the engine oil is supposed to last 10000km but after track days, would probably degrade to 7000km as next oil change. Some people after track days, do sell check point inspection, which is a good habit as their car is also a daily driver. Most of the time, rebalancing and realignment of tires before and after track days.

The main point is to make your car drivable and enjoyable. Not much can be said about the stress on your wallets. hahaha:burnout:

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
some1... using 0w20 in sic for a few run... just change the oil 2 days b4 SIC, the next oil change became after a day from SIC... hehehehe...
but the time recoded shorten by 2sec...

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
kh_tan.tripod.com
0-xx oils are way too thin for daily driver. I can fonfirm such oils would let your engine rev very very freely. But the protection is somewhat a suspect. Also these seem to be very popular with those super time attack cars. Other than that u pay for record times. But it is not justified as a daily engine oil.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

'(00): The SXE-10 Altezza cult is very much alive everywhere and what we have here is Abcastillo's involvement in a recent Spanish Altezza club track meet. Check out the abundance of track-ready tezzas...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience