DIY spraying gear console...

wildboar

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2004
Penang
Visit site
guys, im using the imitation gti gear console n was wondering if anyone has sprayed the lower plastic piece to a different color...the lower plastic piece of my gti console is light grey n i wanna change that to black in order to match my arm rest..

im not sure if accessory shops r selling black ones or not but so far, ive seen oni in light grey...will go look again this weekend...

its basically like da wira SE console like da pic below (tajulsan, borrow ur pic ya)..da part which i circled is da area i wan to be black...

so, anyone done this b4?? wat surface treatment or type of spray should be used?? ive seen some sprays which are for cars, but dunno for the body or plastic parts...can this spray be used??

i know most ppl say dat it wont b nice n will peel off...so anyone done it successfully b4??

ken12292703

Drives a shopping cart...
Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
Hie,

Spraying it with a cheap paint will be dull after sometime. I don't know why but i sprayed my old car (SOLD) t gets dull but didn't peel off.

I scrup it kau kau wth sand paper then dip and dip and wash and wash in soap water. If for black, i recommend you to use the RM5 also nevermind but don't want to have a sparkling and polished surface lorr, use the dull and black better. I spray mine with yellow last time. :lol: Sorry, picture not clear, no other picture. :(

AXXeLL

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Subang
Visit site
Try asking FuGz le... if i not mistaken he spray before... black..

FuGz... this one your console rite ?? Sorry if salah orang... :P

P

PrinceHamsap

spray lar ...
apply 1 layer of clear after spray for lasting longer

avoid anything scratches on it coz it gonna peel the color out ...

but avoid thick layer spraying also :lol:
gd luck

kacyp

Known Member
Apr 6, 2004
uk.geocities.com
Just from my own experiance....

1. possibly don't spray out door since its easy to catch any praticles flying by the wind.

2. spray as many layer as possible but each layer is a very thin one.

3. do not spary direct to the object when started to spray, apply to the air and slowly move from left to right or vice versa until u reach the other end. do not release the spray untill u reach the air again.(this method will use extra paint, but the finishing will be good)

4. be patient as u need make sure the paint is really dry before putting it back together, usuall around 1/2 day or day depends on the object being sprayed.

happy DIY :D

ddjourney

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Ipoh, Perak
Visit site
aisyer man! sorry 4 late noticing this! looks like u hav already sprayed the console!
myself also done this b4...
from my experience if u spray the console without applying a coat of...the name is PROMOTER SPRAY!
( i bought this coat paint from a hardware shop by telling the tauke i need to spray on PVC material )
sorry to tell u... if u spray without the coating, it will peel of very easily ( i know...trust me! )
last time i hav 2 scrape off all the paint n do it all over again!!! :D

the pic below is my console ( very successfully painted ) i can even scratch it with a coin now!!!

mijie

Known Member
Jan 17, 2005
ktn/ipoh/ebisu?
s154.photobucket.com
Originally posted by wildboar@Jan 12 2005, 13:42
guys, im using the imitation gti gear console n was wondering if anyone has sprayed the lower plastic piece to a different color...the lower plastic piece of my gti console is light grey n i wanna change that to black in order to match my arm rest..

im not sure if accessory shops r selling black ones or not but so far, ive seen oni in light grey...will go look again this weekend...

its basically like da wira SE console like da pic below (tajulsan, borrow ur pic ya)..da part which i circled is da area i wan to be black...

so, anyone done this b4?? wat surface treatment or type of spray should be used?? ive seen some sprays which are for cars, but dunno for the body or plastic parts...can this spray be used??

i know most ppl say dat it wont b nice n will peel off...so anyone done it successfully b4??
better u sell it to me... i wanna that colour to match up wif mine... no prob.. for your car,u can get it frm car assesories.. there a lot light grey colour maa... com,sell it to me lorr...

Hikaru

3,000 RPM
Aug 13, 2004
Atlanta, GA
photobucket.com
ddjourney is right, you need to do the base coat first or else your paint won't stick on it.

The next thing to do is to find the vinyl paint. Ask around in hardware store and you should able to find it. Find the color you want, indeed.

If you use normal paint, which usually in glossy finishing will look horrible...

cool_silver216

Known Member
Apr 2, 2005
Klang Valley
Visit site
Originally posted by ddjourney@Jan 21 2005, 12:44
aisyer man! sorry 4 late noticing this! looks like u hav already sprayed the console!
myself also done this b4...
from my experience if u spray the console without applying a coat of...the name is PROMOTER SPRAY!
( i bought this coat paint from a hardware shop by telling the tauke i need to spray on PVC material )
sorry to tell u... if u spray without the coating, it will peel of very easily ( i know...trust me! )
last time i hav 2 scrape off all the paint n do it all over again!!! :D

the pic below is my console ( very successfully painted ) i can even scratch it with a coin now!!!
[snapback]684551[/snapback]​

mind to tell me wat is coating?coz i am preparing to spray my console tomolo.wanna double confirm the steps n material needed.

xtorm

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2003
Originally posted by Hikaru@Apr 1 2005, 13:29
ddjourney is right, you need to do the base coat first or else your paint won't stick on it.

The next thing to do is to find the vinyl paint. Ask around in hardware store and you should able to find it. Find the color you want, indeed.

If you use normal paint, which usually in glossy finishing will look horrible...
[snapback]859409[/snapback]​

i hav search lots of hardware store for tis item, but no luck, do u know where to get?

n the promoter paint, where to get aalso?

jaywat

1,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
Originally posted by xtorm+Apr 11 2005, 23:59 --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xtorm @ Apr 11 2005, 23:59 )</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Hikaru@Apr 1 2005, 13:29

[snapback]859409[/snapback]​

i hav search lots of hardware store for tis item, but no luck, do u know where to get?

n the promoter paint, where to get aalso?
[snapback]888433[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

I think there is a kind of paint specially for plastic...find it in ACE! B)

antlvk

Jan 5, 2004
aiya... miie sprayed liao and failed liao cost din;t apply coating... any picture for the coating.... iss those clear paint?

ddjourney

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Ipoh, Perak
Visit site
dunno how 2 tell u guys cos i bought it in Ipoh cos im in Ipoh :P
but 1 thing is certain that after spraying the coat paint,
the surface will get sticky~not very sticky but u can feel it with ur finger.
me myself also dunno that i needed 2 apply coat paint but after 1 failure...hehe :P
hope this will help.

remember 2 apply coat paint then following with a non glossy black paint
(cos the color can perfectly match back the original interior black color)

jus tell the tauke u need 2 spray on pvc/plastic.
ask him wat should u do? (this is how i found out this PROMOTER thing!!)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

if you're about to buy a 2nd hand car, how to make sure it is 100% accident free..
- insurance claims record can be change? or it is impossible to change?
- hiring a professional consultant?
Pls Help..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience