DIY LED brake lights. Need help.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I don't think LEDs restrict the flow of electrons. They just emit light as a side effect. I don't know what you call the black diode, the line around the top indicates the direction of the electron flow. That's about all I know. :ahhhhh:
Yes it does. It's just that it emits light when current flows through. Diodes are useful in by-pass, voltage regulating, and amplifying. It is used to guide current to capacitor and not flowing back to complete a circuit therefore it charges the cap. Very interesting. Regret that I dint learn well during school days lol

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Yes it does. It's just that it emits light when current flows through. Diodes are useful in by-pass, voltage regulating, and amplifying. It is used to guide current to capacitor and not flowing back to complete a circuit therefore it charges the cap. Very interesting. Regret that I dint learn well during school days lol
HAHAAHAHAH! School's Kemahiran Hidup basically useless.
What diode is it la. I still don't get it.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
A diode is a device that allow the flow of current to be in 1 direction only. Similar to a 1 way valve. You can find them used in solar panels where the heat is converted into energy and stored into batteries. Then a diode is placed on the input path of the battery so that the charges that flows into the batteries does not flow back into the panels as it will be a waste of energy and your battery won't be full. Our handphone batteries also have diodes inside.

Also don't get confused with diodes from Zener diodes. Normal diodes can't regulate voltage.
http://amrita.vlab.co.in/?sub=1&brch=282&sim=1207&cnt=1

VR2, driver is different. driver looks more like an IC chip.

Last edited:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
HAHAAHAHAH! School's Kemahiran Hidup basically useless.
What diode is it la. I still don't get it.
Naw I didnt really learn about diodes in secondary school. I mean my university life that time. I took a subject called Electronic circuit and devices. Now all returned to the lecturer already LOL

A diode is a device that allow the flow of current to be in 1 direction only. Similar to a 1 way valve. You can find them used in solar panels where the heat is converted into energy and stored into batteries. Then a diode is placed on the input path of the battery so that the charges that flows into the batteries does not flow back into the panels as it will be a waste of energy and your battery won't be full. Our handphone batteries also have diodes inside.

Also don't get confused with diodes from Zener diodes. Normal diodes can't regulate voltage.
Zener Diode as Voltage Regulator (Theory) : Solid State Physics Virtual Lab : Physical Sciences : Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham Virtual Lab

Indeed. But neither zener nor normal diode itself cant regulate voltage by itself, can they?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Yes cvkit, they can't zener diode can only regulate wide range of current but voltage still remains the same when reverse voltage is apply.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Zener Diode as Voltage Regulator (Theory) : Solid State Physics Virtual Lab : Physical Sciences : Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham Virtual Lab

Thanks, so what is the black D1 in the picture?

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
Yes that black components is DIODE. You can use IN4001, IN4002, IN4003 ~ IN4007.
But if you want to use the brake function, it is recommend to reduce the no. of LED in series from 4pcs to 3pcs.
Then you may use 180ohm 1/4W for R1, 100ohm 1/4W for R2.
Tail light current = 20mA
Brake light current = 30mA
(V BATT = 13.2V, V LED = 3V, V DIODE = 0.6V)

Revised diagram as follow:

Attachments

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Yes that black components is DIODE. You can use IN4001, IN4002, IN4003 ~ IN4007.
But if you want to use the brake function, it is recommend to reduce the no. of LED in series from 4pcs to 3pcs.
Then you may use 180ohm 1/4W for R1, 100ohm 1/4W for R2.
Tail light current = 20mA
Brake light current = 30mA
(V BATT = 13.2V, V LED = 3V, V DIODE = 0.6V)

Revised diagram as follow:
But bro, isn't my leds spec on 20mA only? Can go more?:confused:

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
Yes for intermittent usage, you can go slightly higher than recommended current. I set mine at 20mA/35mA and it last me for more than 5 years without showing any difference in brightness.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Most old age proton car force their LED brake light's current to as high as 55mA, that is way above the spec. Thats the reason why those car's brake light fail in within 2 years. I think they intentionally did it in order to cut down their material cost (by using standard brightness LED instead of High Brightness LED) or to increase their spare parts (3rd brake light) sales!

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Yes for intermittent usage, you can go slightly higher than recommended current. I set mine at 20mA/35mA and it last me for more than 5 years without showing any difference in brightness.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Most old age proton car force their LED brake light's current to as high as 55mA, that is way above the spec. Thats the reason why those car's brake light fail in within 2 years. I think they intentionally did it in order to cut down their material cost (by using standard brightness LED instead of High Brightness LED) or to increase their spare parts (3rd brake light) sales!
OH! Good info. Thanks man! Thanks TR and Levin bros. Will get back here if I'm done. Kinda busy nowadays. :bawling: No time for DIYs! The diagram u did yourself, Levin?

So conclusion is, I did it in parallel which means that fried the resistors right?
Aiyooooooo I'm so dumbbbb. Hahahaha. Nvm. Leds 3.0 coming out!

Last edited:

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
Hey guys, just realized that when brake light is ON, tail light will remain ON too.
In that case, we should increase R2 from 100ohm to 300ohm.

R1 = 180ohm 1/4W
R2 = 300ohm 1/4W
Current flow through R1 (Tail light ON) = 20mA
Current flow through R2 (Brake ON) = 10mA
Total current flow through LEDs when Brake ON = 20mA+10mA = 30mA
(Conditions: V BATT = 13.2V, V LED = 3V, V DIODE = 0.6V)

Happy DIY!

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hey guys, just realized that when brake light is ON, tail light will remain ON too.
In that case, we should increase R2 from 100ohm to 300ohm.

R1 = 180ohm 1/4W
R2 = 300ohm 1/4W
Current flow through R1 (Tail light ON) = 20mA
Current flow through R2 (Brake ON) = 10mA
Total current flow through LEDs when Brake ON = 20mA+10mA = 30mA
(Conditions: V BATT = 13.2V, V LED = 3V, V DIODE = 0.6V)

Happy DIY!
OKAY! Thanks. Gonna do separately though. U guys see in a week's time. Probably.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
4th brake light done. :)
Look as I wanted it but it isn't smooth journey. Many man hours invested and also patience.

I used a tube as my case because it is hard to customize a box. Sealed the ends with silicone for waterproofing.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

This just in - PROTON Holdings Berhad (PROTON) today wishes to confirm the resignation of Dato’ Sri Haji Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Mohamed Tahir as the Group Managing Director of PROTON Holdings Berhad (PROTON), effective 4th July 2012.

PROTON goes on further to thank Dato’ Sri Haji Syed Zainal for his...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience