• Yes - It makes all the difference

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - Doesn't really work

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

haziq_evo

Jul 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hey, like you mentioned in the early part of your post regarding the 'tin kosong' sound when you shut the door of a Perodua Viva, I myself an owner of a Viva and heres something which I did during my semester break with my dad to sort it out. The result of my little holiday experiment was satisfying and I just thought it might be useful to some of you. The link is below:

Rubber n Metal: Soundproofing The Perodua Viva

EvilNick

Aug 17, 2005
Taman Tun
Just my own experience, which is similar to what others here have mentioned.
I also DIY-ed these bitumen tapes on my car (in fact, I got it from the lowyat guy linked in the first page) and yes it works well. Tapping on the panel sounds more dull and well insulated, noise also reduced.

But then, within a few months, the next time I opened up the panel, I also saw that the bitumen layer had melted and become a gooey mess. The metal body parts of our cars get REALLY hot in the sun, so its not surprising.

Anyway, if I were to redo it, I will definitely get something branded like Wurth which could probably be more heat resistant. Or just don't bother, it wasn't THAT HUGE a difference. :P

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
Just my own experience, which is similar to what others here have mentioned.
I also DIY-ed these bitumen tapes on my car (in fact, I got it from the lowyat guy linked in the first page) and yes it works well. Tapping on the panel sounds more dull and well insulated, noise also reduced.

But then, within a few months, the next time I opened up the panel, I also saw that the bitumen layer had melted and become a gooey mess. The metal body parts of our cars get REALLY hot in the sun, so its not surprising.

Anyway, if I were to redo it, I will definitely get something branded like Wurth which could probably be more heat resistant. Or just don't bother, it wasn't THAT HUGE a difference. :P
If you're planning to redo your car in the future, I think it would be better if you take the approach of using a sandwich method, where you would layer bitumen mats, then foam, then melt blown insulation mats. But this would have to be done strategically and not throughout the whole car. This would then give better results.

GRexer

GRexer™ KuzTomZ
Nov 14, 2003
Puchong
Well.. That is why the more expensive brands are using Butyl instead of pure Bitumen. Butyl is more rubberised and able to withstand heat better than bitumen. Especially so when these roof-leaking-repair bitumen strip these days just ain't up to par standards as the old days(I'm working in the hardware supply chain).

If you could afford it, always use butyl instead. No worries of falling off or melting. Mine had been stuck onto the roof since back in 2007 and it was still very much intact when I sold the car last year and the roof lining was removed to inspect.

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
Ah more wisdom. Thanks. So are there any cheaper DIY stuff which have more butyl we can get from hardware shop rather than pay crazy price for automotive use?

GRexer

GRexer™ KuzTomZ
Nov 14, 2003
Puchong
So far, I hadn't seen much of these butyl based products in hardware shops as they are specifically made for automotive use. I know this would sound like hard selling, but RAAMmat BXT II(which I'm selling), which is butyl based, comes down to roughly RM12/square feet(if you get in a box of 24 pieces covering 37.5 square feet), one of the cheapest in the market at the moment.

didie

Known Member
Feb 19, 2006
So far, I hadn't seen much of these butyl based products in hardware shops as they are specifically made for automotive use. I know this would sound like hard selling, but RAAMmat BXT II(which I'm selling), which is butyl based, comes down to roughly RM12/square feet(if you get in a box of 24 pieces covering 37.5 square feet), one of the cheapest in the market at the moment.
A question, for the RAAMmat, after applied it, is it easy to remove it? I know some may wonder, why bother to remove, just for the case if about to repaint, and have to remove it. Thank you.

GRexer

GRexer™ KuzTomZ
Nov 14, 2003
Puchong
Well... The thing is, I personallu never removed it before as I never really had that need to yet, but I did remember a customer mentioning that you'll have to carefully start at a corner of the restraining layer and peel off, and use Turpentine to clean up afterwards.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Really thanks for posting this man... I have been wanting to do this for long but couldn't get hold of those "dynamat" or superlon. I knew that it is a similar material with thise type of weather tape, but the weather tape are in too thin strips. I never know that they do sell broader weather tape. Now I know!

amirmambo

Known Member
Jun 24, 2010
Subang Jaya
Nice job buddy..Especially spending the time to DIY your car with the accessories,much respect no matter how small the effort is :driver:..Ive done all four doors on my kelisa using the sound dampening product from Mohawk,overall yes the door feels much more solid even after knocking it and opening and closing..But in my honest opinion it doesnt really make much difference even with my fullset ICE installed,its not really a value for money kinda thing..Its more like an accessory that people think is useful but as a matter of fact its not really that great..Unless you do the whole car which will cost you quite an amount and the results might differ,just my point of view on this matter :biggrin:

Last edited:

intrigue83

From Facebook
Sep 15, 2011
www.facebook.com
let me share my experience on bitumen SP. No doubt, it will reduce road noise but with our scorching weather, it will melts. I did it on 4 doors and on my boot just like the picture itself. And when it melts, it sort of stick on the window glass (when u wind down the window) and the outcome is a mess! You needed thinner to scrub it off and this will always happened unless you do further enhancement on it. As for my boot, it is covered by the mat so i'm not sure how it is since the car has been sold off for 3 years now. God bless the new owner if he/she one day took off the mat for whatever purpose it is.

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
So it seems like the bitumen doesn't hold up in our temps. So the only option currently is to go back to the more expensive stuff which has more butyl rubber in it. Then currently I will keep an eye out for the effects on my car .

Great that people share their 2 cents on this topic.

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
Was thinking about the melting problem. I think if we stuck "duct tape" aka in malaysia cloth tape at the edge of the bitument tape, that should stop the dripping when melted and soft so when it cools it should harden back up.

Simple solution? Your 2cents anybody?

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Was thinking about the melting problem. I think if we stuck "duct tape" aka in malaysia cloth tape at the edge of the bitument tape, that should stop the dripping when melted and soft so when it cools it should harden back up.

I was thinking along the same line but use aluminum foil tape - the one that people stick along edge of sink, etc. Quite cheap and can get from local hardware shop.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Watch out with that duct tape. The last time I used that stuff, the duct tape itself melted. Not the cloth portion of it, the sticky portion just left a giant mess and the tape itself became brittle.

Probably the aluminium sticky tape option is better.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi just want to alert everyone if notice Black Toyota Wish WTS 3345 nearby you guys please inform police.
the man drove into guarded garden next to mine and robbed two houses in span of 2 hours (valuable things robbed but no car missing). today the car drove into my guarded garden, fortunately spotted by the guard. all happen in Kemuning Utama (giant supermarket area).

for those living in guarded garden, their modus operandi is tailgate resident/visitor to pass the boom gate (in and out)...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience